To Rack or Not To Rack That Is The Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diver165

Reaction score
Well that's the question...

I started fermenting almost 3 weeks ago (started on June 28). I've noticed that the bubbles have slowed down a lot (I know I know that's not a sign of anything...)

I started with 5 gal of Motts Apple Juice
2 lbs Dark Brown Sugar
1 lbs Corn Sugar
1 pk Nottingham Yeast

Like I said earlier, I'll be approaching the 3 week mark soon. Do I rack to secondary and put it aside for a while longer? Should I top it off with more Apple Juice to take up the increased headspace after I rack it? (all I have are 6gal better bottles)

This is my first cider. I don't know exactly what my next step "should be". I realize ciders and wines usually take a lot of time and I'm not in a hurry. I just want to know if I should do anything more after 3 weeks.

I've only made a few batches of cider but have never racked to secondary. How long are you planning to bulk age? Unless you're going over a couple of months it isn't really necessary, IMO.

If it is fairly clear and done fermenting at 3 weeks, then bottle it. You can give it another week or so in the primary if you need to before bottling though. Anything over a month and I'd rack it off the trub.

How long are you planning to bulk age?

That's just it, I dunno. It hasn't cleared up. It's still a cloudy amber color. It smells like applesauce (airlock farts). I'd like to try it. But if it isn't ready I'll wait.

When should it start clearing? Should I add something to help clear it?

I've had batches that never cleared and others which were crystal. It sort of depends on the juice. That said, you want most of the yeast to be out of suspension. If you're really worried about clarity, gelatin may help. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd give it another week in primary and then bottle.

Well that's the question...

I started fermenting almost 3 weeks ago (started on June 28). I've noticed that the bubbles have slowed down a lot (I know I know that's not a sign of anything...)

I started with 5 gal of Motts Apple Juice
2 lbs Dark Brown Sugar
1 lbs Corn Sugar
1 pk Nottingham Yeast

Like I said earlier, I'll be approaching the 3 week mark soon. Do I rack to secondary and put it aside for a while longer? Should I top it off with more Apple Juice to take up the increased headspace after I rack it? (all I have are 6gal better bottles)

This is my first cider. I don't know exactly what my next step "should be". I realize ciders and wines usually take a lot of time and I'm not in a hurry. I just want to know if I should do anything more after 3 weeks.

This sounds like a variation on Ed Wort's Apfelwein; according to Ed: "After at least 4 weeks, you can keg or bottle, but it is ok to leave it in the carboy for another month or so. Racking to a secondary is not necessary." Regards, GF.

Back