To dump out or not dump out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager_brewer

Face down on the floor
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok here is the problem. I had a big beer that I added more malt in the primary because the OG was very low. Then I moved it to secondary and kegged it. The problem is that now it tastes like you are chewing malt. I know the alcohol content is up there around 10% and I have learned a lesson. So now what? Could I add a high alcohol yeast to get this thing down a bit so I don't have to chew it? If so what could I add to the keg? Or should I take my lesson and dump this thing?

Thank you!
Tom

Need a bit more info here. What malt did you add, and in what form, and how much? How late into primary did you add it, and how soon after did you move to secondary? And what was your FG - preferably before and after adding the malt, if you have the data.

The recipe and OG would be helpful as well.

You could always blend it with another smaller/drier/hoppier beer to balance it out.

If the chewyness you're referring to is high mouthfeel, boil up some water to thin it out. Or you could blend it with another beer as mentioned above, but it might come out different than you expect. If you think it's a good beer, just too thick/sticky, watering it down could be a good fix.

Ok here is the problem. I had a big beer that I added more malt in the primary because the OG was very low. Then I moved it to secondary and kegged it. The problem is that now it tastes like you are chewing malt. I know the alcohol content is up there around 10% and I have learned a lesson. So now what? Could I add a high alcohol yeast to get this thing down a bit so I don't have to chew it? If so what could I add to the keg? Or should I take my lesson and dump this thing?

I'm confused. You had a big beer that you added more malt to because the OG was low? That's a contradiction.

How do you know the alcohol is around 10%. Did you take an OG, and an FG? That's the only way to really know.

If it tastes like you are chewing malt, I would suspect it finished high. Diluting it with another beer would help, but why waste a good beer to get 2 'OK' beers.

Maybe just let it sit and age. You might have a great beer there if you let it grow up a little bit.

Is this an extract kit

Partial mash

AG

what we got Doc?

Thanks for all the help. This was a version of Stone's Double Bastard. It had 18.5lbs of 2row and 2.5 lbs of Crystal 120. The OG gravity should have been aroung 1.110 (I have achieved it in the second go around) However due to a bad crush of grains (most were still whole) I only achieved an OG of 1.065. SO them I dissolved some LME into about 1gallon of water and added it to the primary and let it take its course.It does have some good flavor but much to sweet and malty.

Latest posts

Back