To bottle or not to bottle? HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damnsaltyham

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started a cider on 8/5, 5 gallons of apple juice, 2 pounds of corn sugar and Wyeast Sweet Mead Yeast. The OG was 1.062 and after a month it was 1.010, so I racked it over to a secondary (in hindsight I should not have done this). Well, I am in need of that carboy so we tasted it and it tastes very good. So I thought I would go ahead and bottle (add 5 oz of priming sugar) to free up the carboy. However, it is still at 1.010. So my fear is that it is stuck fermentation and I bottle it and it doesn't carb so I have still cider. So, what do you think I should do?

Bottle it and take my chances?

Rack it to a bucket, free up and clean another carboy, rack it back and add some more yeast to take the gravity down?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks you! :mug:

I've never used this yeast but it is a sweet mead yeast, so residual sugars are going to be left behind. Maybe it is actually done fermenting. Reading some reviews on the Wyeast site, one person writes he had an OG of 1.100 and it finished at 1.024. So my guess is your fermentation is done.

I've never used this yeast but it is a sweet mead yeast, so residual sugars are going to be left behind. Maybe it is actually done fermenting. Reading some reviews on the Wyeast site, one person writes he had an OG of 1.100 and it finished at 1.024. So my guess is your fermentation is done.

Yeah the taste and sweetness is great, that's really the main reason I used it. That is kind of my go to yeast for cider but in the past it has finished at 1.002-1.000.

Thanks for the reply!

Put your cases of bottles in trash bags and tie them closed if you are worried about explosions. Helps keep the shrapnel and splatter off the floor, walls, ceiling, etc.

Back