Tis' the season...how about a Chocolate Cherry Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icantbejon

Reaction score
So I've seen six hundred threads on a choc cherry stout recipe, but nothing else with that flavor combo. Anyone have thoughts on this....does that full bodied stout just give it the right feel, or is it just the safe option? Additionally, if you have any thoughts on what a good choc cherry ale recipe would look like help a brother out.

I would think the cherry and chocolate need the roasty flavors from stout to keep the beer balanced. I'm not sure I'd stray too far from a stout or a porter when adding chocolate and cherry to a beer for fear of having overbearing cherry flavors in the beer.

Yeah, i feel like the chocolate needs the stout or porter to support it, or at least something that is a little heavier on the crystal malt (Irish red ale maybe?), but the cherry can fit in just about anywhere.

Maybe a Bavarian schwarzbeir style chocolate cherry? Saranac's black forest comes to mind

Back