Tips on transfering honey from 5 gal bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickerman

Reaction score
I'm ordering two 5 gal buckets of honey this week and need some tips on transfering the honey to smaller containers. I figure I'll do a few gallon jugs, mason jars (quart & pint), and make a batch with whats left. The best method I have found so far is to pour some from the bucket to a pot, put the pot in a sink of hot water for a little, pour into the containers, and repeat. Does this sound about right?
Please let me know if there is a better way. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks,
wickerman

Definitely don't try to heat the bucket on the stove. There was a thread about that recently with sub-optimal results, to say the least.

When making mead (~12-15 lbs. per 5 gal batch), I just use a couple of large ladles, one in each hand. I use the first to dip the honey and the second to catch what drips from the first. There's a bit of ladle twirling involved, but I generally manage not to make a mess. Temperature doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

I've used ladles & I've used funnels. If I'm pouring from the bucket, I use a very large funnel & a chair to rest the bucket on. It's going to drip, so be sure to have someone with a ladle, or towel & put a towel over the chair seat.
It takes a while for the funnel to drain, but it will drain.
Regards, GF.

Oh, man, this is a huge PITA. The honey is cheap, but using it is a huge hassle. I generally pour from the bucket and use a silicone spatula to swipe the edge of the bucket. It gets easier as the bucket gets lighter. :)

Oh, man, this is a huge PITA. The honey is cheap, but using it is a huge hassle. I generally pour from the bucket and use a silicone spatula to swipe the edge of the bucket. It gets easier as the bucket gets lighter. :)
Concur.....

If the honey is liquid, then just weigh the container it's going into, then pour a bit and weigh it to see how you're doing, if close, then change to a sanitised metal kitchen spoon or ladle along with the silicone spatula...

Or just pour a bit more etc......

Hell if it's a gallon container, it's about 12lb in weight, if it's 5 gallons, then it's about 60lb in weight.

Bowls, jugs and other kitchen implements can be co-opted for use as long as they've been sanitised (hell, they don't really need that, just to be clean. They're unlikely to harbour any spoilage organisms, especially if they've just come out a dishwasher etc).

It's rather different if you're making batches on an industrial scale i.e. at 3lb per gallon, if you're making 100 gallons, 300lb of honey would need at least, some basic craneage, or maybe fork lift assistance, just to move the honey drum.......

Back