Mesquite Mead with Samurai Chai Mate & White Ayurvedic Chai Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombo80

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a mother load of loose leaf teas that I got from my mother and brother. Most of it is from Teavana, back when they actually had a brick and mortar building.

1.5 oz. Samurai Chai Mate & White Ayurvedic Chai Blend
1 gallon water heated to 175*
steeped tea then strained solids out
3# Mesquite honey

nutrients divided into 4 additions:
1.9gr Fermaid-O
2.1gr Fermaid-K
2gr DAP

I made one gallon of strong tea with 1.5 ounces of Samurai Chai Mate & White Ayurvedic Chai Blend. I also have an electric tea pot, so I can heat the water to the proper temp, depending on what tea I make.

So I steeped the tea for about 10 minutes, then strained out all the solids.

I let the tea cool for a while before mixing it with the Mesquite honey. I also used the tea to rinse out the honey bottles.

I put a stopper in the gallon jug and let it cool overnight. I have an 18 inch whisk I use for aerating my brews. The next morning I poured the mead into a 3 gallon food grade bucket and whisked in any remaining honey that was still in the jars. I then added 2 TBSP of the Fleischmann's bread yeast and capped the bucket.

O.G. was 24.2 Brix, or 1.102, with the potential of 14.5% ABV.
I am hoping the bread yeast will only ferment to the typical 14% range.

Fermentation temp about 66*
24 hrs. - added first nutrient addition - 0.95gr Fermaid-O
Gravity - 1.064.
36 hrs. - aerated and capped
48 hrs. - second addition of 0.95gr Fermaid-O.
(48hrs. will be this evening)

I am hoping the bread yeast will finish and leave some sweetness in the finished mead.

If this works out well, I have about 6 other bulk teas that I would like to try. Just need to figure out which honey to use.

More to come .........

I hope this comes out well. With a lower fermentation temperature, I think that Lalvin K1-V1116 would be a great yeast in this formulation as it can give up some nice floral esters that would likely compliment what you have chosen to go with.

Back