Tippy Dumps- Why not weld the lifting/supporting peg to the pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lael

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm thinking about building a rig with a tippy dump to make it easier to empty out the grain. I've noticed that most people make a band that goes around and / or under the pot and then tip it that way.

However, the peg that the pot rotates on still has to be welded to this band.
eg: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/new-brutus-mods-250409/#post3011894

Is there some reason why you wouldn't just weld / have the pegs welded directly onto the sides of the pot?

my guess is to distribute the weight better. He was using nitrogen tanks in that post(not sure of wall thickness) but a keggle can weigh 130lbs full. 70lbs on a small post welded to sheet metal, while full of boiling water with repeated rotation cycles could be a bad idea.

It could work just being welded, but some sort of reinforcing plate would not be a bad idea....

Edit: As I look again, He also probably did not want to mess with possibly screwing up the weld and punching into the kettle. stainless has to be carefully back gassed or it will sugar on the inside. With the band he doesn't damage his kettles.

Yes, many pots are 1mm thick or less and it's scary to support the full weight from two very small attachment points. If you first weld a larger square patch over the attachment point in thicker sheet stock, then it would be safer.

The pots I am looking at are 1.2mm thick. I'm guessing the larger the peg the better? eg: 20mm or 3/4" diameter solid stainless?

Is there any way to know for sure what is strong enough?

I've seen this done, but they tig welded a thicker rectangular piece to the pot and then welded the pivot peg to that. Not easy welding onto thin metal as burning through is easy to do unless you have lots of experience tig welding.

Okay, now you have me thinking here...
I don't know about welding a single post to the keggle but what about a single post that attaches to the keggle by something like a suspension spring compressor? Or think of a plate hanger with the double hooks on each side of the plate.
Possibly a turnbuckle between the two forks to tighten them up to hold the keggle.
Now the single arm would have to be pretty heavy duty, say maybe a one inch square?
Just spit balling here. if the post is cut at the right angle it would allow the keg to swing out to maybe a 45 -degree or 30-degree angle and then a hinge to bring it over the rest of the way.
Maybe not, just running it through my head seems like it's possible but it would need some test runs.

Latest posts

Back