Tippy Dumpy Variation plus cedar wrapped mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calgary222

Reaction score
So this started on a cold day when I realized my 120v RIMS wasn't quite keeping up with temperature. So the natural solution was not to increase the voltage to 240, because that would be easy, especially since i already had a supply right by the rig, instead I thought I should insulate the tun. Reflectix would have be easy, but what fun is that, I bought some cedar. When I was carrying the three 2x10s i realized the 30 gallon tun, plus the cedar plus wet grain was going to be pretty heavy, so I started on a tippy.

I didn't have enough space in the stand for a center mount I was worried about that much mass hanging off the side of my stand for the simpler direct hing to the side of the stand... anyway, this is how I spent my weekend:

IMG_20180127_1038303(1).jpg

Mock up - decided to weld the forklift part up first and then test on the stand..

IMG_20180127_1756475.jpg

I used barn door strap hinges and just drilled through to mount, note the cross bar that keeps the forklift an inch off the ground when down (allow space to swing up).

IMG_20180128_1724046.jpg

Mash tun mounted, I was going to add a permanent strap to hold the tun to the lift, but it doesn't move around much

IMG_20180128_1724546.jpg

There is a strap preventing it 'overtipping'. I was going to add another SS band holding the tun to the apparatus, but it does move much and because a portion of the base is inboard of the edge, it doesn't seem to have enough leverage to tip the stand
IMG_20180128_1506347.jpg

Here is a terrible image of the strap I used on the tun. It's 16 gauge stainless, 2" strap, trimmed to about 1-1/4" and then folded over. I folded in the ring and then spot welded (a bolt would have done, but I had the welder). A few images back you can see I used one of those double ended tightening thingys - seems to work well. By the way the wood was cut with about 6 degrees so it would fit snugly.
IMG_20180128_1723548.jpg

The finished stand, linseed on the cedar, the control box controls the pumps, rims and the "turbo" fans on the NG burners. I will have to take a daylight shot, the tun looks brilliant.

Now I have to get another 30g pot because the 20g looks like a shrimp... but it does the job

Last edited:
Thought I would post an update on the tippy dump design after running about 10 batches through.

The pros are that once tipped, it limits the outboard weight and keeps the stand pretty stable - although I have to let it down easy, with my pneumatic tires I sometimes feel like it would go over.
The disadvantage is that with the higher pivot point, pulling it over takes a bit more force and I have to put my knee against it when I am first starting.

It works well though and is great for dropping grain and having a holder when I hose everything out.

I think I might go to either a smaller, ridged tire or put a swing out support to increase stability -

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back