Time for a new brew kettle/pot... advice please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J187

Reaction score
I know there are tons of these posts, but I wanted to start an open dialog.

I am switching to full AG. Going to do 5 gallon bathes in a 10 gallon pot. After reading a few of the posts here, I'm leaning toward going with a cheaper pot and adding my own sightglass and thermometer - adding a valve too if need be.

I have been leaning toward SS because I like the idea of it staying nice and being able to use PBW to clean it, but I can easily be talked out of that if you guys would make a provocative case for aluminum being easy cleanable and working just fine.

I had my eye on the Winware 40 qt SS. It's $111 on amazon, adding a sight glass/thermometer and spigot, I'll be up to $170 or more.

I know the $48 winco 40 qt aluminum stock pot on amazon is a popular choice and that seems like I could trick it out with all the bells (not a whistle fan) for around $100 or so.

What do you guys think? I'm open to anything. I definitely want to have a thermometer and valve, I think I'd like to add a sight glass but again, I'm open.

Thanks Forst, I always forget about adventures because they don't usually come up in google searches.

Oh I forgot about the thunder Group 40qt for $47 shipped.

So far here is the way I am leaning:

Winware 40 QT professional Aluminum stock pot. $48 shipped
T325B brewer's hardware 2.5" probe thermo w/ weldless $32
Brewer's hardware weldless sight glass elbow $ 27
Brewer's Hardware two piece ball valve SS $13
Brewer's hardware SS weldless bulkhead $12

Total $132

EDIT: the above except with the kettle kit from BH which includes the 3 piece valve and elbow, as well as the sightglass kit and the thermometer for $92. Making the total around $140.

Any thoughts??

Sorry for double posting... I tried to delete this thread - I didn't expect not to be able to. I really wish the mods would open up that feature to all, it's quite useful. I reposted this in the Beginner forum because it isn't getting a lot of looks here and I'm trying to fire off an order asap. Thanks!

What about using a keg? Over do it a bit to give yourself room to grow into. Don't forget to check craigslist.

Also check out the Concord stainless kettles on e-bay. The prices are hard to beat and others have really enjoyed them.

Check out www.homebrewing.org

I just bought a SS 9 gallon with valve and thermometer for about $90 shipped. They run specials quite often.

I love dealing with AIH! They are fast to respond and very personable. I got the 9 gal SS pot with one weld and love it. Would go one size up and probably get a second weld, too.

I got the 10 gallon ss megapot from austin homebrewing. Drilled a hole in it using a step drill bit and added a ss ball valve. Thing is solid as a rock. Great pot and not too bad at 80ish

I got the 10 gallon ss megapot from austin homebrewing. Drilled a hole in it using a step drill bit and added a ss ball valve. Thing is solid as a rock. Great pot and not too bad at 80ish

Where do you see that on the site? I'm missing it?

The concord pots look nice. Good call on that.

Latest posts

Back