Time for a new brew kettle/pot... advice please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J187

Reaction score
I know there are tons of these posts, but I wanted to start an open dialog.

I am switching to full AG. Going to do 5 gallon bathes in a 10 gallon pot. After reading a few of the posts here, I'm leaning toward going with a cheaper pot and adding my own sightglass and thermometer - adding a valve too if need be.

I have been leaning toward SS because I like the idea of it staying nice and being able to use PBW to clean it, but I can easily be talked out of that if you guys would make a provocative case for aluminum being easy cleanable and working just fine.

I had my eye on the Winware 40 qt SS. It's $111 on amazon, adding a sight glass/thermometer and spigot, I'll be up to $170 or more.

I know the $48 winco 40 qt aluminum stock pot on amazon is a popular choice and that seems like I could trick it out with all the bells (not a whistle fan) for around $100 or so.

What do you guys think? I'm open to anything. I definitely want to have a thermometer and valve, I think I'd like to add a sight glass but again, I'm open.

Thanks Forst, I always forget about adventures because they don't usually come up in google searches.

Oh I forgot about the thunder Group 40qt for $47 shipped.

So far here is the way I am leaning:

Winware 40 QT professional Aluminum stock pot. $48 shipped
T325B brewer's hardware 2.5" probe thermo w/ weldless $32
Brewer's hardware weldless sight glass elbow $ 27
Brewer's Hardware two piece ball valve SS $13
Brewer's hardware SS weldless bulkhead $12

Total $132

EDIT: the above except with the kettle kit from BH which includes the 3 piece valve and elbow, as well as the sightglass kit and the thermometer for $92. Making the total around $140.

Any thoughts??

Sorry for double posting... I tried to delete this thread - I didn't expect not to be able to. I really wish the mods would open up that feature to all, it's quite useful. I reposted this in the Beginner forum because it isn't getting a lot of looks here and I'm trying to fire off an order asap. Thanks!

What about using a keg? Over do it a bit to give yourself room to grow into. Don't forget to check craigslist.

Also check out the Concord stainless kettles on e-bay. The prices are hard to beat and others have really enjoyed them.

Check out www.homebrewing.org

I just bought a SS 9 gallon with valve and thermometer for about $90 shipped. They run specials quite often.

I love dealing with AIH! They are fast to respond and very personable. I got the 9 gal SS pot with one weld and love it. Would go one size up and probably get a second weld, too.

I got the 10 gallon ss megapot from austin homebrewing. Drilled a hole in it using a step drill bit and added a ss ball valve. Thing is solid as a rock. Great pot and not too bad at 80ish

I got the 10 gallon ss megapot from austin homebrewing. Drilled a hole in it using a step drill bit and added a ss ball valve. Thing is solid as a rock. Great pot and not too bad at 80ish

Where do you see that on the site? I'm missing it?

The concord pots look nice. Good call on that.

Back