time between priming & bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass

Reaction score
I will be priming my first batch soon. I plan on adding the disolved sugar to my bottling bucket, then transfering my beer from a carboy to the bottling bucket, thus mixing it with the sugar.

Question - how long can that mixture sit before bottling?

I want to give it time for any transfered sediment to settle if possible.

Not more than a couple minutes. If the co2 starts developing without getting trapped in the bottle, then you get flat beer.

You shouldn't have much sediment in the bottling bucket anyway.

This is about all I get transfered over.

156676_473504924066_620469066_5740815_1970477_n.jpg

None of it makes it too the bottles.

If you feel the need to let things settle, then put your fermenter or secondary on the table, let THAT settle for as long as you think it needs (it really doesn't need more than a few minutes really,) then rack the beer to your bottling bucket with your priming solution, and bottle.

I have some tips to make bottling easier, here- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

When you rack from your primary carefully and you will not get more than a very small amount of sediment in the bottling bucket. What does get there will be stirred in with the priming sugar so it will mostly be suspended. If it does settle out to the bottom of the bucket only some of it will stay there, the bottling bucket feeds from the bottom.
What does transfer won't put much in the bottles, not enough to worry about at least.
Letting the bucket set for a bit will let some settle out, won't do much, but it won't hurt either.

Revvy,

Do you have inconsistent carbonation from bottle to bottle every batch?

Thanks. I've already transferred from primary fermrnter to carboy, just trying to keep as much sediment as possible out of the bottles.

So 45 minutes go by and no noticeable difference in carb levels whatsoever?

Did you lose the word FLAT just to scare the guy?

Not more than a couple minutes

I respectfully disagree.

Thanks. I've already transferred from primary fermrnter to carboy, just trying to keep as much sediment as possible out of the bottles.

Then forget using a secondary and do like many of us do and leave your beer in primary for a month.

This is my yeastcake for my Sri Lankin Stout that sat in primary for 5 weeks. Notice how tight the yeast cake is? None of that got racked over to my bottling bucket. And the beer is extremely clear.

150874_473504884066_620469066_5740814_2866677_n.jpg

That little bit of beer to the right is all of the 5 gallons that DIDN'T get vaccumed off the surface of the tight trub. When I put 5 gallons in my fermenter, I tend to get 5 gallons into bottles. The cake itself is like cement, it's about an inch thick and very, very dense, you can't just tilt your bucket and have it fall out. I had to use water pressure to get it to come out.

156676_473504924066_620469066_5740815_1970477_n.jpg

And like I showed you earlier, this is the last little bit of the same beer in the bottling bucket, this is the only sediment that made it though and that was done on purpose, when I rack I always make sure to rub the autosiphon across the bottom of the primary to make sure there's plenty of yeast in suspension to carb the beer, but my bottles are all clear and have little sediment in them.

Half the time I forget to use moss, and you can't tell the difference in clarity.

Back