Over primed with dextrose, want to avoid bottle bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquidzorch

Reaction score
Hello. Today I made a newbie mistake. I brewed a Bavarian weisbier, and today was bottling day. I used an online calculator to determine how much dextrose to use but I put in more liters that I actually got out. Not thinking about it, I finished bottling and went about my business, then it came to me, I had used too much priming sugar in glass bottles. So going back to the calculator, I input the amount of bottled beer I actually got (multiplying the beer bottle capacity by the amount I got bottled, very little was left in the bottling bucket as waste), and I get that I am at about 3.8 vol of CO2. So I start to read online and find some tips and used one:

Put a coin on top of the bottle cap, use a bottle opener to barely lift until I can hear gas escaping, hold it until foam reaches the cap, then re-seal.

This seems to have worked like a charm, but I wanted to see if anyone can say if I should do it once again, or with this one gas escape I have avoided issues.

More elaborate details:
- Beer FG had not moved for 3 days, so I bottled on the 4th day.
- Was trying to prime for 3.3 Vol of CO2 thinking I had 15 liters, but only got out around 12.2.
- Added 160g of dextrose to a tiny amount of water, boiled it, and added it to the bottleing bucket, then poured the beer over it.
- Added 38g of dextrose to a second 1 gal batch (test batch), calculating for 3.5 liters, but only got out 2.5 liters, so I got to about 4.2 vol CO2.
- About 5 hours after bottling, I have released some of the gas (it was already very presurized) The most vigorous part of the fermentation of this beer was the first 12 hours, so I decided to release the gas only 5 hours into priming.
- Most of the bottles being used are the kind that you return to the store to refill, so they are kind of thick. I only used 3 of the thin bottles that are meant for 1 time use.

Any advice as to if I might need to recarb, or might need to decarb the beer again would be helpful. I normally calculate for about 2.2 vol of CO2, but they normally come out a little under cabonated in my opinion, and being a weisbier, I really wanted a good carbonation, that's why I went with 3.3 vol.

Thanks in advance

Oh no. Your bottles might already be explosive. Handle with care. I recommend pouring them all back into a fermenter, allow time for the priming sugar to ferment out completely, then re-bottle with less priming sugar, aiming instead for about 2.7 volumes CO2 because even 3.3 volumes is still too much, and whatever you currently have at 4.2 volumes or so is quite dangerous indeed. I have seen bottles where there were shards of glass flew to the ceiling and 6 or 7 meters away from the source.

What kind of bottles. If you really want over 3 volumes of CO2 you'd better use the right kind and make sure they aren't damaged.

Bottle type
Max. CO2 Volume
12oz​
3​
33cl Belgian​
3.5​
500ml European​
3.5​
Swing top​
4​
Champagne​
7​
PET​
10​

Yeah there's no real need for that. Also a good idea to condition in a nice sturdy crate. I also use a heavy 55gal construction trash bag to hold them in case one does pop, it'll hopefully contain most of the beer, but if they are all ready to break one will start a chain reaction.

Back