American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm drinking my first AG batch of this, 3rd total batch. I'm not sure I could describe it much better than that^^^

I got great bitterness and strong citra aroma. However, I got a hint of caramel in this batch that I don't remember in the other two. May have something to do with the all grain I guess. It's great!!

I'm still working on getting the aroma right I'm gonna brew this again in a few weeks and gonna try and nail everything. this will be my 4th time

Just tasted mine last night, very good! It's been in the keg for two weeks, after the first week it was cloudy and had a lot of hop residue, but now has cleared up.

I took the hop bag out of it after the first week, so that probably helped with it clearing. Now almost crystal clear but still retains the wonderful Citra aroma.

I'm planning to brew another batch of this so I have another in the pipeline.

Thanks for the recipe!

I've played with 5 or 6 different tweaks with the base recipe (which is VERY close to ZD) over the last year and a half or so. I've added honey malt, played with different yeasts, mixed in some Centennial, dropped off the Melanoiden, etc. The next rendition will add a bit of Amarillo and Simcoe in with the Citra dry hop.

My favorite mod so far is simply using the base recipe and dropping about 10 IBU off. The more subdue bitterness seems to make the flavor profile of the Citra shine through more.

I've played with 5 or 6 different tweaks with the base recipe (which is VERY close to ZD) over the last year and a half or so. I've added honey malt, played with different yeasts, mixed in some Centennial, dropped off the Melanoiden, etc. The next rendition will add a bit of Amarillo and Simcoe in with the Citra dry hop.

My favorite mod so far is simply using the base recipe and dropping about 10 IBU off. The more subdue bitterness seems to make the flavor profile of the Citra shine through more.

I was thinking about doing that with the IBU's as well. The bitterness I got from this isn't overpowering at all and is quite nice, but I'm going to tweak some to try and get more aroma out of it and try and make it more appealing to visitors since it will always be on tap or on deck. I'm also going to dry hop with leaves next time, I did pellets this time.

This is my favorite beer that I have personally made so far as is and will be a mainstay in my house. Thanks Skeezer for the recipe and hopefully I can find the original to try side by side some time.

Finally got to brew this last weekend, first brew of the new year! My temps were a couple degrees off with my mash, and my PH was about .6 lower than called for, but my gravities were hitting pretty close. 1.058 vs 1.054 into fermenter. I had actually (right or wrong, dunno, it's what I do) made a starter of the S-04 in anticipation of brewing a couple weeks ago, and it didn't happen, so I decanted and used it this past weekend. Got bubbles within a couple hours, pretty steady over a couple days. Tapered off yesterday, and pretty much stopped last night. Dry hopped this evening, hydro was at 1.014, and sample tasted great! Can't wait to get this carbed and drinkin and see how I did compared to the real deal!
Thanks. Skeezer for this....definitely a staple in my fridge and eventually my taps.

...hopefully I can find the original to try side by side some time.
Come to Cincinnati. It used to be that we'd go months between keg tappings of it but in the last couple months it seems like every few days some bar is tapping it. Not sure what changed and I'm not complaining. Still pretty tough to come by in bottles though.

I just bought another pound of citra hops, so I'm sure I'll be brewing this again in the next couple months.

If I were to make 10 gallons of this, how many packets of Salfale US-04 should I use?

(Keeping in mind that yeast starters for dry yeast aren't necessary so I would use the packet directly/or rehydrate it)

I have used two packets with success. Depending on your methods you may want to use three.

Come to Cincinnati. It used to be that we'd go months between keg tappings of it but in the last couple months it seems like every few days some bar is tapping it. Not sure what changed and I'm not complaining. Still pretty tough to come by in bottles though.

You and I aren't far apart.... Where the heck are you finding it? I've had it in bottle, would love to try on tap

I just bought another pound of citra hops, so I'm sure I'll be brewing this again in the next couple months.

Fellow Cincy brewer here. Would love to find this, but have yet to score any despite almost daily trips to Jungle Jims beer section.

Can't wait to try the all grain version of this.

Wow, daily!?! You'd be better off stalking the 3F To Go beer page and driving to Munster :) But it usually disappears in 24 hours after being posted.

I have a few bottles left, but they are old (August I believe). Yes, I know a travesty. They were given to me old already, so I wasn't going to turn them down. You can have one if you'd like; let me know :)

If you want it on draft, you need to like all the local better beer bars and beer bloggers on Facebook. As I posted above, it's showing up with greater frequency lately.

While that would be awesome to brewery hop my way there, a 9 hour trip is a bit far. If I am ever in the area I will definitely come check it out.

I'd like to see your label for this ^

I don't know how to phrase this but I'm "drawing skill challenged" so I'd try to draw mermaid boobs, a unicorn and a beer drinker in a big lagoon and it would look something like a white rhino doing bad things to a lady with one giant leg while a guy in a swimming pool holding a glass watches on with interest.

I don't know how to phrase this but I'm "drawing skill challenged" so I'd try to draw mermaid boobs, a unicorn and a beer drinker in a big lagoon and it would look something like a white rhino doing bad things to a lady with one giant leg while a guy in a swimming pool holding a glass watches on with interest.

In Pictionary once my Mum (yep it's Mum over here), drew what looked like a Navy ship, we guessed and guessed different ship names for the whole minute and no dice while she tapped her pencil on the single turret of the 'ship' like we were close, or should have known what the turret was. Turns out that it was Noah's Ark with an elephant on the front deck (that looked like a turret).. I get my drawing skill from her.

Wow, daily!?! You'd be better off stalking the 3F To Go beer page and driving to Munster :) But it usually disappears in 24 hours after being posted.

I have a few bottles left, but they are old (August I believe). Yes, I know a travesty. They were given to me old already, so I wasn't going to turn them down. You can have one if you'd like; let me know :)

If you want it on draft, you need to like all the local better beer bars and beer bloggers on Facebook. As I posted above, it's showing up with greater frequency lately.

My son has basketball practice right down the street from JJ, so daily visits are an easy detour. I'll keep my eye on the blogs and twitter.

Cheers.

A late night brew.....decided to throw in some galaxy hops with the citra.....

j8h46d.jpg

Anyway pitched yeast at about 1:00am. .

As of 9:00am.....no airlock movement....hmmm

Cause of concern guys?

Another slow take off here. 40 hours in and no activity. Pitched 1 pack of rehydrated s-04. 5.5g with an OG of 1.065. Fermenter is set at 63 degrees

Another slow take off here. 40 hours in and no activity. Pitched 1 pack of rehydrated s-04. 5.5g with an OG of 1.065. Fermenter is set at 63 degrees

No need to worry. First, check that your fermenter is air-tight. Air may be escaping another way. If in a bucket, check to see if you have krausen.. and if your airlock is clogged.
Second, swirl around your fermenter (if possible). If you get airlock activity by doing that, you can be pretty certain that there is CO2 prodution.

The lag time before anaerobic yeast activity is highly dependent on the amount of oxygen present in the wort. If you didn't do a good job introducing O2, it can certainly slow the kick-off time. I've definitely noticed a slower kick-off when I know I didn't aerate well with S-04.

Pitch rate is also a factor. I'm actually going to pitch 2 packs when I run my next batch. Using the pitch rate calc at http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/ (one of the few dry yeast calculators), I noticed some underpitching when using some studies on actual cell counts found in packs of S-04 (8 billion cells/gram).

All in all, if you go another day without activity, you may need to repitch.

I pitched at about 66, and it took off like crazy within a few hours, but then within about 3-4 days was down to nothing.... check my temps, and was tracking at about 61-63...so I looked it up. Skeezer's recipe calls for 67. So, I got mine up to 67, and lo and behold, blowoff tube started belching again....pretty steady since then, now on day 9. So, may want to crank your fermenter up to 67 and give it a go there for a day or so.

this beer is like drinking unicorn tears off a mermaids breasts while sitting in a tropical lagoon.. ummm, I mean I really like this beer. :rockin:

Hey Nick - I see your interested in the IPA's from USA. My brother has just been there, and he said the Figueroa Mountain - Hoppy Poppy is possibly the best beer he has had (I'm an aussie also, so I haven't had it, or the Zombie Dust)
Google hoppy poppy clone, and you should find it on this site. I haven't tried it yet, but apparently it is very close!

I'll be brewing the Zombie Dust first though! Can't wait to try this!

Cheers :mug:

I have brewed this with 3 different yeast wlp001, sa-04, and RVA hop stoper which is the Heady topper yeast. I think the hop stopper has the best taste. I think I'm gonna brew a big batch and split it and use the 3 yeast at the same time. not sure I can do a 9 gallon brew right now so maybe I will do two 3 gallons

Trying this for the first time...cant wait!!! Just ordered the malt,US-04 yeast and a pound of citra pellets for $24.99.Is 24.99 a decent price for a pound of citra pellets up here in Canada?

Might be able to squeeze two batches outta a pound of citra even if i gotta sub a little centennial in...lol

Jamie.

Trying this for the first time...cant wait!!! Just ordered the malt,US-04 yeast and a pound of citra pellets for $24.99.Is 24.99 a decent price for a pound of citra pellets up here in Canada?

Might be able to squeeze two batches outta a pound of citra even if i gotta sub a little centennial in...lol

Jamie.

Id say it's a good deal for the citra. Goes for about $2.50 an ounce here in PA.

Yakami valley has the 2014 crop for 21.99, I say a good deal. I stocked up this year with 4 lbs of pellets and 1 lb of leaf.

I'd be interested to try this with the Vermont giga yeast ie Conan strain and see how it accents the citra hops.

What's the typical turn around time for this beer? My primary ferm is done after a week. I was going to dry hop starting tomm for 5-7 days cold crash and then in the keg on the gas for two weeks. Or should I give it another week in primary before dry hopping?

What's the typical turn around time for this beer? My primary ferm is done after a week. I was going to dry hop starting tomm for 5-7 days cold crash and then in the keg on the gas for two weeks. Or should I give it another week in primary before dry hopping?

fermentation should wrap up within 7 days (1968 or 002). dry hop on day 5 day. crash on day 9 if TG is achieved. rack on day 10.

Hey guys, I'm sure this was covered in one of the 90+ previous pages, but il in a little bit if a rush to take advantage of this amazing weather today! I'm going to attempt my first BIAB today and was curious what kind of adjustments you would make to the grain bill for the original 6g batch? Have never messed with grain bills before and would love some input from some experienced brewers! Thanks in advance guys and happy breweekend!

Hey guys, I'm sure this was covered in one of the 90+ previous pages, but il in a little bit if a rush to take advantage of this amazing weather today! I'm going to attempt my first BIAB today and was curious what kind of adjustments you would make to the grain bill for the original 6g batch? Have never messed with grain bills before and would love some input from some experienced brewers! Thanks in advance guys and happy breweekend!

There is software out there that will help you calculate your total water volume strike temp and grain bill based on the measurements of your equipment for BIAB. I would suggest this as it will be beneficial in calculating all your efficiencies and help convert or adjust your recipes. If you are in a hurry I have heard that a 25% increase in the all - grain recipe grain bill will work but then you are guessing at total water needed. Good luck.

Not sure why you'd make any adjustments to the grain bill, unless you expect your efficiency to be higher or lower than the provided recipe.

I brewed this BIAB some time ago and used the recipe as is. Next time, because I got higher efficiency than the recipe, might reduce the amount of base malt, or I might just make more beer!

There is software out there that will help you calculate your total water volume strike temp and grain bill based on the measurements of your equipment for BIAB. I would suggest this as it will be beneficial in calculating all your efficiencies and help convert or adjust your recipes. If you are in a hurry I have heard that a 25% increase in the all - grain recipe grain bill will work but then you are guessing at total water needed. Good luck.

Back