American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty stoked how this came out. I subbed FWH Citra with Magnum and used US-05 instead of S-04. Started at 1.055 and got it down to 1.006, at 6.3 ABV this is bone dry.

It's three weeks in the bottle and it's delicious. Big citrus aroma and flavor. I'm especially pleased with how balanced it is. With the next batch I think I'll fully emulate with Citra FWH and S-04 and do a side by side.

2a98akx.jpg

I like s04 used it on all my batches of this so far and they've all turned out great, see no need to change.

I used s04 when I did this. Honestly I didn't really enjoy this one very much. I think Citra to my palate needs some partners to play along with. Oddly, the double sunshine clone I did seemed more enjoyable. Maybe the difference was in the steeping methods I used. I ended up actually adding some mosaic and some Galaxy dry hops into the keg, and I think the result is more enjoyable to me anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I used s04 when I did this. Honestly I didn't really enjoy this one very much. I think Citra to my palate needs some partners to play along with. Oddly, the double sunshine clone I did seemed more enjoyable. Maybe the difference was in the steeping methods I used. I ended up actually adding some mosaic and some Galaxy dry hops into the keg, and I think the result is more enjoyable to me anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Galaxy is my favourite hop so far, sooooo good! :rockin:

Brewed this a while ago and then couple of weeks ago brewed a different all citra beer to see what that one is like.

How do you think dry hopping with citra and centennial would work? I will be dry hopping with a touch under 2 oz. of citra (all I have left) but am thinking of throwing in an ounce or two of centennial.

I am brewing this one tomorrow!

Did you make a starter and if so how big was it?

I am making a 1.5L starter with Wyeast 1968 now, but according to internet sources (Mr. Malty) i need to do a 2 stage starter. In that case, i will just pick up another Wyeast pack to add to my 1st stage since i don't have time to run another starter. Was that necessary for anyone else?

Just bottled and kegged this brew, it was so good that I drank the whole gravity sample, usually I have a sip then tip the rest, yum! Thanks Mate!

P.s. Force carbing this, it will be lucky to last til Xmas!! Might have to brew this again next weekend.

Just bottled and kegged this brew, it was so good that I drank the whole gravity sample, usually I have a sip then tip the rest, yum! Thanks Mate!

I agree! I just brewed this Saturday and usually the gravity sample isn't for me but this was quite tasty! I ended up about 8 points low on the OG unfortunately so I need to work on my efficiency some apparently but other then that it was a smooth brew day and I can't wait to have this in bottles.

Just brewed this yesterday. Gravity into the fermenter was 1.060....not great not horrible i guess. Hoping to finish around 1.015 or so. Ended up with around 6-6.5 gallons after boil and filtering out hops and such.

I split this into a bucket and carboy for fermentation using 2 packages of Wyeast 1968 with a starter (2 separate starters). Pitched them equally into each bucket/carboy. Will combine for my secondary dry hopping.

Will post results when complete.

I agree! I just brewed this Saturday and usually the gravity sample isn't for me but this was quite tasty! I ended up about 8 points low on the OG unfortunately so I need to work on my efficiency some apparently but other then that it was a smooth brew day and I can't wait to have this in bottles.

Yeah I was a bit low too, not sure why..I did slightly overshoot the mash temp nothing for it but to brew it again soon! ;)

p.s. last time I'll overshoot a mash temp, I bought a thermapen and can't wait to use it, :ban: four second reads compared to sixty seconds hunched awkwardly over the kettle holding my tongue just right..

:mug::rockin:

Hi guys,

So I kegged this Sunday and poured a 'sample' tonight, that turned into about four schooners each for SWMBO and I. Cracker beer Skeezer, thanks a lot. For a single hop beer it's fairly complex imo, with a honey taste from the malt. YMMV.

Yeah the pound of pellets I just bought from Hop Union is in the 14's as well. I'm all good with it though. Love that hoppy punch in the face with this one. It's meant for that.

Just brewed this last night. Only change I made, I added a little more citra at the 60min addition, to up the ibu's. Hit all the numbers right on; will post a pic soon.

I just brewed this last Monday. I did the partial mash version and had some issues (see link below) during the mash stage. In addition, because the local hb store didn't have 04, I had to use Windsor to get as close as I could to the yeast profile. My OG was pretty high for the recipe (1.071). One week later and my gravity is currently 1.023. I know with extracts you sometimes don't get better than 1.020, and with Windsor I know there's little chance of getting too much lower.

I guess my question is, with the extract, higher OG, and using Windsor, is the consensus that I'm pretty much done fermenting? ABV for Zombie Dust is 6.2% and I'm currently at 6.3%.

I haven't dry hopped yet but the taste and smell right now or excellent (I've never tried Zombie Dust). I will test again in two days to be sure.

Thanks.

Mash story:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/partial-mash-small-error-509058/

I just brewed this last Monday. I did the partial mash version and had some issues (see link below) during the mash stage. In addition, because the local hb store didn't have 04, I had to use Windsor to get as close as I could to the yeast profile. My OG was pretty high for the recipe (1.071). One week later and my gravity is currently 1.023. I know with extracts you sometimes don't get better than 1.020, and with Windsor I know there's little chance of getting too much lower.

I guess my question is, with the extract, higher OG, and using Windsor, is the consensus that I'm pretty much done fermenting? ABV for Zombie Dust is 6.2% and I'm currently at 6.3%.

I haven't dry hopped yet but the taste and smell right now or excellent (I've never tried Zombie Dust). I will test again in two days to be sure.

Thanks.

Mash story:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/partial-mash-small-error-509058/

I would let it sit for 2 weeks for the yeast to finish cleaning up. Can only help. Usually IPA with a FG more than 1.020 tastes like candy to me.

This might be nit-picky, but I've been wondering something. My buddy and I have been brewing this recipe up for quite sometime now. We've had it in Beersmith for numbers/projections, etc. and this has lead me to a question.

When entering the recipe verbatim into Beersmith, it projects an OG of 62 with an FG of 16. Because of this, we've been INCREASING the OG with the calculator to 65 and then modifying the grain percentage(s) back to 81.7, 7.8, and 3.5 respectively. Doing this has created a 'forced' OG of 65 in Beersmith with a projected FG of 19.

So the question, for those using Beersmith, what are you doing? Are you hitting Skeezer's numbers without modifying, or are you modifying in Beersmith to improve projected efficiencies/output?

You should use the grain %'s and your efficiency to calculate the amounts of grain. Just set your total efficiency to whatever you actually get, then use the scale function to scale it back up to the desired OG.

Conversion efficiency, pre boil efficiency, ending kettle efficiency or brew house efficiency? We use brewersfriend.com to calculate and log these four efficiencies for every brew we do. We've done this recipe 6 times now and have used both BIAB and a three keggle vessel system with a pump. Of those 6 the first four have been BIAB.

We'll I have one bottle left that's going in a case swap. I absolutely hammered this brew in no time. I force carbed so tried a frothy glass the next day from memory and it was already tasty.

SWMBO loved this brew, well everyone that tried it liked it, except for one guy that doesn't like citra or IPAs lol. You can't please everyone.

Only problem with this brew is that it evaporated so quickly and now I need to order more grain to make it again!!

Thanks Skeezer, nice job. :rockin:

Guys what's the mash temp..and strike temp?

Mash temp is listed in the very first post. 152F.

Strike temp depends completely on your system and process. If you don't know how to arrive at your strike temp give us more information (water/grain ratio, grain temp) and we can point ya in the right direction.

Using a igloo cooler I turned into mash tun.
Get my ingredients monday. So ill be dumping my mash water into my grains obviously.

Latest posts

Back