thoughts on belgian triple recipe???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milehighsuds

Reaction score
Wanted to get some feedback on a Belgian tripel recipe.

15# belgian pils
1# Vienne
1/2# aeromatic
1/4# belgian buscuit

1oz. northend brewer at 60min
1oz mt. hood at 20min
1oz mt. hood at 5 min
1/4 oz coriander at 5min

WLP530

1-2# raw cane sugar after high krausen

mash at 153 for 60min, out at 168 for 20min
60 min boil

just the basics here but wanted to get a few thoughts on it.

Looks good. Generally I use a simpler grain bill and just sugar but yours looks fine. I would normally suggest keeping any spices out but 1/4 oz of coriander will be pretty subtle.

If it were me I would brew my first one more basic. Pils malt and sugar only (this is how I like mine after many attempts). Mash low so that thing finishes out dry as possible. Make sure your temps for fermentation are spot on as well. The key to a good tripel is not the recipe it is the process of fermentation. Belgian brewers are masters at attaining flavors from the yeast by manipulating it's flavor characteristics. These beers get character from yeast centric beer flavors, if you will. The malt and hops are only there to support the yeast derived flavors. The beer is meant to be digestible and soft.

Right on thanks guys, its been brewed and just transfered to secondary. Was tasty when racking cant wait for this thing to age some

Just tried the first bottle, good stuff. its still a bit "green" as its only been in the bottle for about 2 weeks i had to try it. light banana/clove aroma nice mouth feel to it can barely notice the coriander, just enough. great head on it, lacy two fingers. Im very pleased with the way it came out. Just need to get some more thoughts on it, going to be taking it to some local clubs/shops for a second opinion. I will be brewing again with a few changes.(Huge starter, maybe minus the buscuit or slight change to hops).
cheers

Back