Thoughts on 1-liter glass bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason D Cook

Reaction score
Here in the Philippines, the local beer is sold in brown, 1-liter, returnable bottles. I know I can cap them (tested already). I don't mind drinking 2-pints plus at a time so I'd like to use them to save a bit on fridge space.

Will the volume affect carbonation rates?

Thoughts welcome.

I've carbed up a whole keg using priming sugar, so I can't think of why a 1 liter bottle would make a difference.

I don't think so. The only question is if they are strong enough. If you bottle prime, you'll need to up the sugar.

Ah, that's where it all falls down then.

I know they're strong enough. They're deposit/return and see a lot of service with fizzy pilsner in them.

But since I don't have enough to hold my whole batch, differing priming sugar levels is a no go. I'll still have to use a number of 500ml and 330ml bottles.

differing priming sugar levels is a no go.
Maybe you misunderstood @JohnSand? Why would you need different priming levels?

If you want to carbonate your beer to 2.5 or 3 volumes, add the amount of sugar* required for that to the whole batch in your bottling bucket, stir gently after transferring your beer to it. That whole batch will then carb up to that level once bottled, regardless of the size bottles it's in, being 300ml, 1 liter, or larger.

*Any kind of sugar will do, but each kind of sugar used requires somewhat different amounts. Look for a carbonation table or an online calculator.

Agreed. You can use any size bottle you want if you batch prime. If you bottle prime, just use the proper amount of sugar for each bottle size. I'm sure you can make this work.

Agreed. You can use any size bottle you want if you batch prime. If you bottle prime, just use the proper amount of sugar for each bottle size. I'm sure you can make this work.

Understood. I missed the "bottle prime" in your first reply.

I'll batch prime with corn sugar that I ordered with the kit. I'm sure everything will be fine.

Thanks for your help and for yours, @IslandLizard.

You won't have any problems especially if you're batch priming. I use 0.33L, 0.5L and 0.75L bottles and there's no difference in carbonation between them after batch priming.

Back