This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Swiffer wet mop.

The handle for the thing is absolute rubbish. I have three kids, and my girlfriend and I cook every night. So the kitchen floor gets pretty gnarly.

Only way to get through some of this stuff is to put in some muscle, but if I actually tried to put my weight into it, it would snap like a twig.

Useless.

Either you need to make your cooking endeavors less free style or get a couple of hounds.

(Not to be argumentative, just putting on my devils' advocate hat)

Two cars are roofers working across the street. Park in front of that house d-bags.

I'm sure that'd be their preference, but from your photo, I can clearly see a skid full of roofing shingles. I'm sure the site foreman told them to park across the street (i.e., in front of you), so delivery trucks could drop off shingles, and the forklift could easily access said skids without having to worry about backing into a roofer's car.

yes you are technically on the street [...] you aren't blocking my garage

Sounds good so far.

you are blocking part of my property that can be used for parking

Uhm... they ARE using it for parking. You don't own the curb in front of your house. Anyone who wants is free to park there.

1) my son gets out of school and I have him practice bounce passes off your passenger door

Exactly what lessons are you hoping to teach your son from this? Two wrongs make a right? He doesn't need to respect other peoples' belongings? Vandalism is A-OK?

2) I wait til your working on the back side of that roof and a roofing nail ends up under your tire

So, the "vandalism" one, then?

And plus 1000 to the littering if I find so much as the corner of a candy wrapper we're definitely going with option 2

A loose candy wrapper (on city property, or just your lawn?) justifies destroying a $200 car tire?

Maybe RDWHAHB. In my experience, roofers are very fast. I'm sure they'll only be there for 2 days at most. Heck, I'm late responding to this post, I'm sure they're already long gone, and you'll never see them again.

So did you and your son end up vandalizing the stranger's car, who had the audacity to park on the side of a public street while earning an honest living? (Roofing is among the hardest ways to earn a living that I can think of)

Maybe I wasn't clear in my explanation. I could care less if anyone parks in front of my house but where he was parked did block a part that could be used for parking AND was right in front of the basketball hoop my son uses daily. There were plenty of other places to park. Not only did I pick up a wrapper there were styrofoam cups and shingle wrappings to go along with it. Not only did I not damage the car I was nice enough to ask him to move it before weed eating the next day so rocks wouldn't kick up on it. That was right after they watched me pick up their garbage off my lawn. No doubt roofing is tough but since we had a major hailstorm awhile back there's been an abundance of roofers that aren't local and don't seem to care much about the locals. I live up a steep windy road, a different roofer on a cellphone ran me off said road into the brush where I came to a stop, he kept driving. Maybe I'm biased.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my explanation. I could care less if anyone parks in front of my house but where he was parked did block a part that could be used for parking AND was right in front of the basketball hoop my son uses daily. There were plenty of other places to park. Not only did I pick up a wrapper there were styrofoam cups and shingle wrappings to go along with it. Not only did I not damage the car I was nice enough to ask him to move it before weed eating the next day so rocks wouldn't kick up on it. That was right after they watched me pick up their garbage off my lawn. No doubt roofing is tough but since we had a major hailstorm awhile back there's been an abundance of roofers that aren't local and don't seem to care much about the locals. I live up a steep windy road, a different roofer on a cellphone ran me off said road into the brush where I came to a stop, he kept driving. Maybe I'm biased.

From the picture I thought he was partially blocking your drive way. If that's the case it's ********. What you're describing is inconsiderate people. That would be enough to piss me off. I'd would have too say something to the supervisor of the job.

what about this? blocking driveway or not?

still a dick move either way?

719.jpg

in this case, I'd be OK with 2 feet away. 3 feet and I'd be ecstatic

but remember: look for these warning signs someone (maybe you!) has ADD. A-hole Driver Disease

367.jpg

Ok I took a couple more pictures to submit to your honors at the court of public opinion.

So the vehicle in question had the opportunity to park here along this fence (even with one car there at the time there was room for probably two more)

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1490997661.387061.jpg

INSTEAD said car in question parked to the left (in this picture) of the fence in front of the basketball hoop that my son uses everyday. And not just sticking out a little bit he was completely in front of my cement pad.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1490997632.253164.jpg

Now I was never gonna pop his tire (well probably, maybe, ....) that was the venting of someone who worked all night to come home to that and the prospect of sleeping through the roofing and obnoxiously loud music. But that's the point of this particular forum.

So your honors I rest my case and hope you will agree this was an egregious violation of what a previous poster dubbed as "consideration"

I see a curb cut in front of your basketball net. Which means that's your driveway, and he was a *****enozzle.

what about this? blocking driveway or not?

still a dick move either way?

View attachment 394784

Dick move, either way. It's quite the PITA to get out of the driveway when someone parks that close, especially when there are also cars parked on the opposite side of the street, it makes for a VERY narrow lane; on my street, cars parked on both sides of the street reduce it to 1 lane only & it's a very tight squeeze to get my truck out of the driveway under such conditions.
Regards, GF.

Dick move, either way. It's quite the PITA to get out of the driveway when someone parks that close, especially when there are also cars parked on the opposite side of the street, it makes for a VERY narrow lane; on my street, cars parked on both sides of the street reduce it to 1 lane only & it's a very tight squeeze to get my truck out of the driveway under such conditions.
Regards, GF.
Once dropped a friend of at her house. Narrow street to begin with, and cars parked like that on both sides of her driveway - and one across the street.

Didn't have a problem pulling into her driveway to drop her off, but thought I was going to have to turn around on her lawn to drive out, as backing out was nearly impossible.

My friends did this in the Marine Corps. We bounced it up and down and spun it sideways on the up bounce. Took like 200 bounces though.

That intersection I wrote about where people can't seem to figure out proper/legal/safe lane usage? Yesterday in a single signal change I saw 5 drivers make the illegal lane change. Ugh.

I just sent an email to the local Chief of Police to see if he can assign some officers to monitor that intersection more closely and "educate" people on legal/proper/safe lane usage...

we have a bike trail here in NoVA called the Washington & Old Dominion Trail (W&OD)

as it crosses the main Boulevard in my town (2 lanes each way with median, 40mph zone & basically a demarcation between residential and commercial zones) there are stop signs for traffic on the trail and signs for vehicle traffic there may be bikes crossing

one problem is that idiots on bikes ignore the stop signs, think traffic should stop for them and just roll on across the Blvd.

another, bigger problem is there is nothing to indicate to idiot drivers they have right-of-way over the riders who correctly wait for traffic before attempting to cross. so we get morons who stop on the road for bikes stopped on the trail. problem is as only one lane stops, the other is still going. so the bikes start to cross, cars in the next lane see the bikers almost too late and have to jam on their brakes

hasn't been a fatality yet, but it's only a matter of time. meanwhile, once every 2 or 3 weeks someone is rear-ended in that 2nd lane, because the driver had to jam on the brakes for cyclists who started crossing because the first driver stopped

picture of the crossing, with the stop sign and STOP painted on the ground indicated. (relevant to This Thing of Ours™, Beltway Brewing Company is just 100 yards farther to the right)
sterling blvd bike path.jpg

so, the brain trust we call our Board of Supervisors has decided the solution is to add more stop signs plus flashing lights on the trail, widen the trail crossing, and widen the median (cutting short that turn lane on the left side of the road in the picture)

the BoS has approved an overpass for the trail, but not even supposed to begin construction for another 2 years. by then we'll probably have a complete turnover of the entire Board and those plans will be scrapped

oh, annoying pet peeves: ****ing cyclists, the ****ing idiots who have the right-of-way but still stop for the ****ing cyclists and the ****ing idiots on the Board of Supervisors

I see a curb cut in front of your basketball net. Which means that's your driveway, and he was a *****enozzle.

Yeah, I've gotta agree with Phug. If the curb dips down like that, then it's a driveway and should be a no-fly-zone for parking. Maybe the roofer couldn't find any other spot, and noticed how wide your driveway was, and that he wasn't blocking your garage, whatever, I'm sure he had his reasons, but Zibe was right to be annoyed. Maybe not "dent his car and spike his tires" annoyed, but justifiably seething. :)

People who talk in public on wireless mobile headsets. I was at Wal-Mart yesterday as some doofus was describing the vegetables to the other person on the phone in the produce area. He was rather loud. Its not like he needed help picking out veges, he was talking like there was somebody their with him shopping.

Later he was in meat section doing the same thing. Then in the check-out line. I wanted to turn around and tell him to STFU already. Nobody thinks you're cool on your stupid ****ing headset.

Its almost as bad as the moron who talks on their speaker phone in public.

:mad:

& speaking of our Board of Supervisors: approved a measure to bring minor league baseball to our area, built up a little commercial area for it (including an Alamo Drafthouse & World of Beer) and even had an owner bringing in a team, the Loudoun Hounds

turns out it was total scam/payola from the get-go. team and construction companies bankrupt.

Hounds_Head.jpg

still adding on to that commercial area, seems to be doing well with more than a few restaurants & shops going in (&, in the case of the Redskins-themed restaurant, Hail & Hog, going out) and more on the way

so, the land formerly reserved for the ball park? now zoned to become a parking lot, completed around 2019

Annoying Pet Peeves: no baseball in Loudoun. and 2 years to build a parking lot?

bright side: I can watch first-run movies while drinking a craft, usually local, beer while feasting on a pizza and knowing if anyone talks or texts, they will get their asses booted, zero tolerance

When there is a sign on a business/office/etc door that says "Will be back in X amount of time".

If it says "Back in 30 minutes" how the hell do you know how long ago the person put the sign out?

Was it 25 minutes ago?
Was it five minutes ago?

Who the hell knows? Put a time on the damn sign.

I generally find the fact that the system to be biased towards over-withholding of taxes such that nearly everyone gets a "refund" each year to be a pernicious form of social engineering. It's terrible IMHO that most people look forward to tax day because of the check they'll get instead of reflecting on how much they've already had withheld.

So I usually look at owing a small amount at the end of the year as a positive thing. It allows me to grumble and kvetch, giving the act of "filing my taxes" the roughly appropriate amount of dread.

This year, though (due to major changes in my filing status in 2016), I'm saddled with 7 grand in taxes due. I'm way beyond grumbling. :mad:

I'm sure this has been mentioned but it's worth saying again. When people shorten words. It's not cute, it's not funny

It's dinner, not "din". Yes I'm referring to a post from another thread here on HBT.

I generally find the fact that the system to be biased towards over-withholding of taxes such that nearly everyone gets a "refund" each year to be a pernicious form of social engineering. It's terrible IMHO that most people look forward to tax day because of the check they'll get instead of reflecting on how much they've already had withheld.

So I usually look at owing a small amount at the end of the year as a positive thing. It allows me to grumble and kvetch, giving the act of "filing my taxes" the roughly appropriate amount of dread.

This year, though (due to major changes in my filing status in 2016), I'm saddled with 7 grand in taxes due. I'm way beyond grumbling. :mad:

I feel your pain.
I had to write a check for 5k last year. I didn't want to have to do that again so I changed all of my withholdings. I got a refund of about 5k this year. (I also made a lot less money, but that is another story...)
I am not delusional enough to think that the government is giving me free money. I know it is mine. I know that I could put it to better use. I know that the "smart" people don't let the government hold on to their money, but I also know if it had been in my paycheck, I would have pissed it away throughout the year. I like the fact that I could take a lump sum and throw it into my savings account at the beginning of the year. I think I'll keep it this way. :tank:

taking me 4 years to dig out of my tax screwup and the BigHair is still giving me **** for it

About the same here. I retired as an Master Chief with 30 years in early 2013 and got a decent job 2014. I didn't have them withhold enough from my retirement or the new job. My wife (programmer) changed jobs and doubled her pay in 2015. I wrote checks to the IRS for 2014 and 2015. The 2015 check really hurt so I changed it. I'd much rather have a no interest savings account and get the money back than have to write a check at the end of the year.

I read and lurk here a lot and figure I'm too green to post anything (I've learned a lot though) but I can post about today's biggest annoyance:

Labels on wine bottles. More specifically, the glue.

A guy just down the road has started a full fledged winery and has bottles galore free for the taking (picked up 120 three days ago) but they all have labels ... and yes, I've read the label removing thread.

Currently soaking them in chlorine free Oxy-Clean and many just floated to the top of the water. Others ... well, they're just EVIL.

I read and lurk here a lot and figure I'm too green to post anything (I've learned a lot though) but I can post about today's biggest annoyance:

Labels on wine bottles. More specifically, the glue.

A guy just down the road has started a full fledged winery and has bottles galore free for the taking (picked up 120 three days ago) but they all have labels ... and yes, I've read the label removing thread.

Currently soaking them in chlorine free Oxy-Clean and many just floated to the top of the water. Others ... well, they're just EVIL.

Oxy Clean is my go to cleaner for bottles. It's also a good soak for plastic fermentors. Takes that yellow tinged stain out.

Try taking paint off bottles. That's near impossible to remove.

Oxy Clean is my go to cleaner for bottles. It's also a good soak for plastic fermentors. Takes that yellow tinged stain out.

Try taking paint off bottles. That's near impossible to remove.

Concentrated Star San will take paint off of some bottles. I know it takes it off of Stone bottles. I think you need to use it 5x stronger than when used as a sanitizer.

Car dealers. As if their reputation wasn't bad enough.

I'm in the market for a car. Due to schedule, I am available this Sunday (Easter) to look at and potentially buy a car, as I've narrowed down models and I'm looking at SPECIFIC used vehicles that catch my interest.

So I call a dealership in San Diego to find out if they're open. I don't give them my phone number, but to be polite did give them my first name. Despite them trying to keep me on the phone once I realized they're closed Sunday to try to rope me in further, I get off the phone.

Then, two hours later I get a call from the same dealership. They must have used caller ID to get my phone number, copied down my name, and then decided it was time to give me a follow-up call.

Sorry, dealer... Now I'm pretty darn sure I'll NEVER buy a car from you. It's not like it's hard to find alternatives here in SoCal.

CarMax. If you're in the market for a used car and there's one near you, I'd recommend them.

Car dealers. As if their reputation wasn't bad enough.

I'm in the market for a car. Due to schedule, I am available this Sunday (Easter) to look at and potentially buy a car, as I've narrowed down models and I'm looking at SPECIFIC used vehicles that catch my interest.

So I call a dealership in San Diego to find out if they're open. I don't give them my phone number, but to be polite did give them my first name. Despite them trying to keep me on the phone once I realized they're closed Sunday to try to rope me in further, I get off the phone.

Then, two hours later I get a call from the same dealership. They must have used caller ID to get my phone number, copied down my name, and then decided it was time to give me a follow-up call.

Sorry, dealer... Now I'm pretty darn sure I'll NEVER buy a car from you. It's not like it's hard to find alternatives here in SoCal.

I assume you saw the caller id. You should have answered the phone like this and laid into him right from the get go like you're white trash.

Pick up the phone swearing......mother effing piece ah $hit..... Bitchin' about Smith & Wesson.

Then start telling him you shot the GDF beotch because she won't get you a beer. That she's a worthless whore and her a$$ is too fat. That you didn't like them horse teeth either. Ask him if he knows where to score some coke. (After a bit of a pause) Then ask him why the flock he called.

Hello, hello, hello...WTF

Bet they never call you back. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back