This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carrying every key you own with you at all times. It doesn't annoy me. It's just dumb. It's show boating. Oh. Look at me. I have all these keys. I'm so very important. Uh-huh. And if you lose one, you've lost them all. Dummy.

I've told people who do this on several ocassions, "get yourself a couple more keys, and you will be qualified to be a high school janitor."

I've got plenty of keys, but I can't stand more than 2-3 in my pocket.

I have a 2002 Honda Accord with 150,000 miles on it, that aside from a dent in the left front quarter panel (from my mailbox falling off the house this winter), still looks like it just rolled off the dealer's lot.

Some people (myself included) believe in taking care of your tools to make them last. We take pride in maintaining them in good condition. The inconsiderate door dings and shopping cart scratches piss us off, because someone else didn't show our vehicle the same respect that we show theirs.

I was only kidding about it, specially to actually doing a door-dinging. I too take care of my stuff. I worked hard to be able to buy it, but not so much to be pretentious and arrogant or flat out OCD about my possession. It's just a car.

I like to mock the uptite people with that special car or truck can't be parked with the regular folks. Sometimes it's not all that special. I see and laugh at the person with the Chevy Suburban, Ford F150, or Dodge Aspen who's worried about a door ding and parks at furthest point away from the door in a parking lot. Meanwhile, I take great joy in seeing summer time hail storms with this thought in mind...

That said I can understand the old corvette, a classic 80s Porsche or vintage/mint muscle car where lots of love is put into to a restoration.

My perspective...

I once had a relative that had plastic film on the couches and plastic running mats on the carpeted walk ways in house. Made everything seem cheap.

My parents had swivel plush rocker chairs that my sister and I were not allowed to sit in..... ever! They also had a pool table that could not be used. In 40 years had balls racked about 3 times. All before 1980. They also had a hide a bed close to 50 years old that could not be pulled out to sleep in... it would wear out the mattress and springs.

Yeah, I lived in a museum as a child.

You have to enjoy the things you have not stress out about wear and tear.

I don't spend a ton of time on the road but I've noticed that every time the interstate has a rolling roadblock going there's a Prius leading the parade.

Is that a thing, now?

Cheers! :drunk:

Must be regional. Our Prius drives like it's qualifying.

I've told people who do this on several ocassions, "get yourself a couple more keys, and you will be qualified to be a high school janitor."

I don't like any keys in my pocket, and I really dislike fobs. Damn Prius.

I was only kidding about it, specially to actually doing a door-dinging. I too take care of my stuff. I worked hard to be able to buy it, but not so much to be pretentious and arrogant or flat out OCD about my possession. It's just a car.

I like to mock the uptite people with that special car or truck can't be parked with the regular folks. Sometimes it's not all that special. I see and laugh at the person with the Chevy Suburban, Ford F150, or Dodge Aspen who's worried about a door ding and parks at furthest point away from the door in a parking lot. Meanwhile, I take great joy in seeing summer time hail storms with this thought in mind...

That said I can understand the old corvette, a classic 80s Porsche or vintage/mint muscle car where lots of love is put into to a restoration.

My perspective...

I once had a relative that had plastic film on the couches and plastic running mats on the carpeted walk ways in house. Made everything seem cheap.

My parents had swivel plush rocker chairs that my sister and I were not allowed to sit in..... ever! They also had a pool table that could not be used. In 40 years had balls racked about 3 times. All before 1980. They also had a hide a bed close to 50 years old that could not be pulled out to sleep in... it would wear out the mattress and springs.

Yeah, I lived in a museum as a child.

You have to enjoy the things you have not stress out about wear and tear.

If I just wanted to look at it, I'd go to a museum. Take care of it, sure, but buy it to use it.

Carrying every key you own with you at all times. It doesn't annoy me. It's just dumb. It's show boating. Oh. Look at me. I have all these keys. I'm so very important. Uh-huh. And if you lose one, you've lost them all. Dummy.

I used to carry a bunch of keys, but now all the keys I've ever owned are all sitting in the top drawer of my dresser

now I'm a key minimalist; carry only 2 fob keys, one for the BigHair's car and one for mine and this house key. we have an electronic lock on the front door, so I only use it if the batteries die in it.

my keychain also has a bottle opener and a usb thumb drive with my ICE info

and I know you are all jealous of my house key

key.jpg

I'm that guy.

I have two apartments with three each just for entry; exterior door, interior door and the dead bolts. Then there's a laundry room key, two mail box keys. Add in the the storage unit key, the work desk key, plus a laptop locking cable key. Then a car key with a fob.

For some reason I only carry one car key. LOL

It was worse when I still owned a house and had two apartments.

I used to carry a bunch of keys, but now all the keys I've ever owned are all sitting in the top drawer of my dresser

now I'm a key minimalist; carry only 2 fob keys, one for the BigHair's car and one for mine and this house key. we have an electronic lock on the front door, so I only use it if the batteries die in it.

my keychain also has a bottle opener and a usb thumb drive with my ICE info

and I know you are all jealous of my house key

View attachment 353827

and now some jerk will 3d print a copy of your house key. It happened to the TSA, it could happen to you.

stay safe GrogNerd. Never know how many home brewers have 3 printers and wicked CAD skills. though, since they're homebrewers hopefully they'd just prank you and leave beer in your kitchen.

Very cool key though.

I am confident the Venn Diagram intersection of homebrewers with 3d printers, wicked CAD skills, who can find my house and who would break & enter is small enough to not worry about it

Still, hope I blurred in time to stop you nefarious ****ers out there

Then there's my .38 and I work from home

#1: I just assumed that wasn't your real key. It looks like an image grab from a novelty-key printing online storefront.

#2: Locks only keep honest people out. If someone is determined to break into your home, they're not going to bother 3D-printing a copy of your key - they're just going to wait until you leave for groceries or something, and throw a brick from your patio through your glass patio door.

#3: AFAIK, nobody here knows your real name, where you live, or if you even have anything worth stealing.

#4: If you're still worried, just post a picture of your dog. Even if you don't actually have a dog.

I wouldn't worry about a 3D printer, but anyone with a manual key snapper and minimal locksmithing knowledge can duplicate a key from site. Not saying that I can, but I know several folks that can.

All you need is a bump key. A couple taps with a hammer and presto, you are in!

My biggest pet peeve right now is reading a 100+ page thread and knowing that is I comment on something, everyone will have moved on in the following pages.

I have a roommate who is "noisy".

Her bed is directly over an air vent.

I live in the basement.

All air ducts come down to the basement.

I hear everything that happens upstairs.

I hate the fact that HBT on mobile doesn't work as it should. There is a "back to forum" button, but it only goes back to the previous page. Either I hit the back button a dozen times, or I go to the main forum directory and then back to the forum I was in. (I know, first world problems.

Slow drivers. You know the ones, going ten or even 15 under.

Cars without cruise control. You'd think every modern car would have it. (Here's where I ***** about my wife's car) My wife's car is an 05 four door Neon. Power windows on TWO doors, no cruise control, and the doors lock automatically when you go, but don't automatically unlock when you put it in park. I shouldn't *****, because I grew up with manual windows and locks, carburetors, no a/c, nor cruise control.

I hate the fact that HBT on mobile doesn't work as it should. There is a "back to forum" button, but it only goes back to the previous page. Either I hit the back button a dozen times, or I go to the main forum directory and then back to the forum I was in. (I know, first world problems.

Slow drivers. You know the ones, going ten or even 15 under.

Cars without cruise control. You'd think every modern car would have it. (Here's where I ***** about my wife's car) My wife's car is an 05 four door Neon. Power windows on TWO doors, no cruise control, and the doors lock automatically when you go, but don't automatically unlock when you put it in park. I shouldn't *****, because I grew up with manual windows and locks, carburetors, no a/c, nor cruise control.

On mobile, I can never post without getting a failed connection. I hit the back button, then post again and it tells me that it requires, 30 seconds between posts. I have to back completely out of the thread and get back into it so to see my last post. Same with edits... PIA.

Regarding, I have an older Toyota Camery with electric locks. Its frustrates the hell out of me. Unlocking takes two clicks on the fob and only unless the drivers door, a third time is supposed to do all. Most of the times it takes 4-6 fob clicks. That's will new batteries. Locking is even worse.

If you step out of the car, having the keys on hand is extremely important. I can't tell you how many times the cars been idling, I empty out my wife's McDonalds trash, or go to get luggage only to hear the auto lock go click, click. It always happens when I am 3' away from the car. I'm like WTF!! Even with the car off, the auto-lock locks on me. It usually happens when I'm carrying in groceries, or luggage. The auto-lock happens always as I approach to load or unload.

The last time I got burned bad was back in January. I live in Chicago. -19F and its windy than all hell. Its 9PM on a Sunday. I am getting gas to drive to Decatur IL, about 3 hours south. For some reason I decided to get gas two blocks from apartment and not take the keys out of the ignition. I go to pre-pay for the gas. Come back to car its auto-locked and the car is running. Me I'm pissed (mostly at myself since I know better). I walk two blocks back to the Chicago apartment to get the spare keys, luckily my wife is home and awake to let me in and give me the spare set. Walk back to the gas station. The keys will not unlock the running car's lock. Neither the fob or the actual key itself!!!! It must be a safety feature. I have too ask the gas station clerk to call the police to slim-jim the locks. I was so flippin' pissed at Toyota.
:mad:

For the life of me I don't know why the keys would not work in that instance. The car was in park this time as it was in all other instances.

On mobile, I can never post without getting a failed connection. I hit the back button, then post again and it tells me that it requires, 30 seconds between posts. I have to back completely out of the thread and get back into it so to see my last post. Same with edits... PIA.

Regarding, I have an older Toyota Camery with electric locks. Its frustrates the hell out of me. Unlocking takes two clicks on the fob and only unless the drivers door, a third time is supposed to do all. Most of the times it takes 4-6 fob clicks. That's will new batteries. Locking is even worse.

If you step out of the car, having the keys on hand is extremely important. I can't tell you how many times the cars been idling, I empty out my wife's McDonalds trash, or go to get luggage only to hear the auto lock go click, click. It always happens when I am 3' away from the car. I'm like WTF!! Even with the car off, the auto-lock locks on me. It usually happens when I'm carrying in groceries, or luggage. The auto-lock happens always as I approach to load or unload.

The last time I got burned bad was back in January. I live in Chicago. -19F and its windy than all hell. Its 9PM on a Sunday. I am getting gas to drive to Decatur IL, about 3 hours south. For some reason I decided to get gas two blocks from apartment and not take the keys out of the ignition. I go to pre-pay for the gas. Come back to car its auto-locked and the car is running. Me I'm pissed (mostly at myself since I know better). I walk two blocks back to the Chicago apartment to get the spare keys, luckily my wife is home and awake to let me in and give me the spare set. Walk back to the gas station. The keys will not unlock the running car's lock. Neither the fob or the actual key itself!!!! It must be a safety feature. I have too ask the gas station clerk to call the police to slim-jim the locks. I was so flippin' pissed at Toyota.
:mad:

For the life of me I don't know why the keys would not work in that instance. The car was in park this time as it was in all other instances.

Hit up your local dealer. They can likely disable it via the computer interface, usually for pretty cheap. A lot if OEM's are letting the owners chance such features these days, however Toyota is not one of them. We had to get this done on my wife's RAV4, to disable the seatbelt buzzer. We religiously wear our seat belts, but not necessarily when driving 5mph around the farm.

Hit up your local dealer. They can likely disable it via the computer interface, usually for pretty cheap. A lot if OEM's are letting the owners chance such features these days, however Toyota is not one of them. We had to get this done on my wife's RAV4, to disable the seatbelt buzzer. We religiously wear our seat belts, but not necessarily when driving 5mph around the farm.

I'm the same way with the seat belt and locking up the car. I lock the car with the fob, instinctively so for me it's not necessary.

The car is OCD with locking itself, just like Jack Nicholas on "As Good As It Gets.". He locks his apartment door like seven or eight times.

I won't pay for them to fix a programming error. It should be a user option. If go to the dealership to request this, and they want to charge me for faulty locking sequence they will loose me as a customer forever. It'll be polite as I have learned to live with it for the last few years. I will tell then I will learn to live without a Toyota.

Could you please teach your screeching brat how to use their shut the **** up voice

Funny my wife were discussing how effective paddling was in our times. My wife vastly disagrees. My son mocks her discipline up to the point a tablet is taken away. He's getting more brazen about that risk.

Having dinner out usually requires starting with a tablet as a pacifier or It eventually leads to where i have to physically remove from the restaurant. Usually I have to carry him outside like a suitcase or drag him outside by his earlobe.

I'm more bothered by people who ignore bad behavior of their kids.

There's a reason why they say, "Kids are like farts. Only yours aren't annoying."

this particular group was 3 adults camped out in the pharmacy at WalMart, eating McDonalds while the 2 baby a$$holes ran around screaming

Getting pvc glue on my thumb. Now the thumbprint recognition on my iPhone won't work. It will probably take 2 to 3 days before it works again. First world problems.

So we are blessed with a "100% challenged by hearing" couple with at least one child who has achieved the ability to press the keyfob alarm button on the parents' pickup truck - conveniently parked in the driveway facing the neighbors - at all hours of the day.

The question is, which font to use on the anonymously mailed missive?

Cheers! ;)

Might I suggest this one?

beat-my-guest-font-6-big.jpeg

17 year olds that know everything. But not until you say it first. Then they reply with something like, "yeah, you just figured that out?" Get off my lawn.

17 year olds that blame you for not providing adequate reminders every time they forget something. Then get mad at you if you make the mistake of reminding them about upcoming important events because you are insulting their ability to function successfully in real life.

17 year olds.

I was behind a lady walking out of the grocery store. The door opened and she stopped right in the middle to zip her jacket. please don't stop in the doorway!

And in the same vein...people who stop right at the top of an escalator to look around. Move it, folks!

right.

if it's twice the cost, but lasts 3x longer, it's the better value

example: the BigHair needed new wiper blades, so she went to the autozone and purchased the cheapest set, for like $4. a month later, they needed replacing.

so I went and saw the $4 set, an $8, a $12 and some for $20. I bought the ones for $12 and they're still on the car, 2 years later

Wiper blades! I can't even find somebody from China selling replacement rubber (finally measured and searching after a bottle of mead) that I can use in the factory housing for my car. Why do I need, for decent quality, to pay $12-20/wiper when all I really need to replace is $0.15-$0.20 worth of rubber. I don't care if I have to pay shipping & pay a premium, or buy 3 or 10 times as much product as I need at once.

Voice Mail!!! Why can't a human answer the phone and direct my call? I'm trying to register my camper in Michigan, and need to ask if they received the fax information from the leinholder. I want to talk to the local branch, and not central command. Fifteen minutes worth of "press one for this, and two for that" is way too long.

Business websites that don't have the business hours of operation, and don't have it on their after hours recording.

Voice Mail!!! Why can't a human answer the phone and direct my call? I'm trying to register my camper in Michigan, and need to ask if they received the fax information from the leinholder. I want to talk to the local branch, and not central command. Fifteen minutes worth of "press one for this, and two for that" is way too long.

Business websites that don't have the business hours of operation, and don't have it on their after hours recording.

This is why I like the Delta AMEX Card. Always a human answering. :rockin:

What annoys me right now is I don't have a time machine. Id like to go back and have some beers from defunct local breweries, Old Crown and Falstaff. I'd also like to see the factory I work in as it was built 50 years ago.

What annoys me right now is I don't have a time machine. Id like to go back and have some beers from defunct local breweries, Old Crown and Falstaff. I'd also like to see the factory I work in as it was built 50 years ago.

Wow, just, wow. There must be basically nothing truly annoying in Fort Wayne IN then...

Voice Mail!!! Why can't a human answer the phone and direct my call?

I hate when it's not even a human CALLING me.

"Nobody's available to speak on the phone, please wait on the line for blah blah blah blah blah...."

If you can't even be on the line when YOU call me, then I'm hanging up.

I hate when it's not even a human CALLING me.

"Nobody's available to speak on the phone, please wait on the line for blah blah blah blah blah...."

If you can't even be on the line when YOU call me, then I'm hanging up.

nomorobo . com stopped that **** toot de sweet

cut our BS/robo/telemarketer calls down to almost 0

Wow, just, wow. There must be basically nothing truly annoying in Fort Wayne IN then...

Whats annoying in Fort Wayne is that there is no nightlife downtown. I mean, it is dead after about 9pm.
Annoying is the city council thinking that what will attract people to the city is another convention center, when within three hours driving there is Indy, Chicago, Toledo, Detroit, and Columbus. If there is nothing to do downtown, why are people going to come for a convention? There's no shopping anymore and very few restaurants.

I'm annoyed when I make plans for the weekend and then get offered overtime. Even more annoyed when I take it, because that's family time I lose.

Annoyed by all the stuff in my garage that's too nice to throw away, but nobody wants to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back