This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, let's not be dense.

What I was saying without being mushy.

The guys dog/cat wants him home.
The guys girl friend wants him home.
The guys kid wants them home.
The guys wife wants him home.
The guys mom wants him home.

They don't want the county sheriff at their down door. Saying, "Your loved one is dead.".

Maybe nobody likes him. Maybe he doesn't like anybody. Y U so judgey?

One of my major pet peeves is having the phone ring as I'm sitting down for dinner, getting up to answer the phone and discovering that in spite of the fact that I am on the DO NOT CALL Registry, I am still getting bugged by telemarketers. :mad:

You have a land line, don't you, Gray Wolf? Ditch it, and then use that number whenever someone wants a phone number and you don't want them to have it.

I liken them calling to ringing my door bell and feel it is an invasion of privacy.

I can be a real jerk and tend enjoy it when it comes to getting even.

When it comes to telemarketing....

1) I've pretended to be suicidal.

2) I've also pretended to be sociopath about confessing to killing my GF.

3) I've pretended to be retarded.

All to end up laughing when they they think I'm serious.

It usually stops them from making repeated calls.

My wife gets really mad at me when I do this though....

Which is the easiest ruse to pull off?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe nobody likes him. Maybe he doesn't like anybody. Y U so judgey?

You have a land line, don't you, Gray Wolf? Ditch it, and then use that number whenever someone wants a phone number and you don't want them to have it.

Which is the easiest ruse to pull off?

The suicidal ruse. They think they can help me. Then sell me something.

I must say that gets boring after awhile.

The retarded one is the next easiest.

The sociopath usually results in a pretty quick hang up. Typically when I start asking personal questions.

nomorobo dot com stopped most of that sh*t pretty quick for us

bogus numbers ring once and are gone, legit calls keep ringing so we can answer

All the reviews on ratebeer and beeradvocate have really started to annoy me. Just the way they are written. When I go out with with my buddies and order a beer I don't turn to them and say "wow this beer pours a brilliant orange yellow with a vibrant rocky cascading foam" or some stupid s**t like that. Here is a real one after searching for 30 seconds-

"The beer explodes on the aroma with straight tropical juice. With mango, passion fruit, peach, apricot exploding on the nose as advertised, with flashbacks to childhood to tropical Bubblicious, Nerds, and Gobstoppers".

Who actually talks like that in real life? I think SWMBO would slap me if I said that in public. If these people only had to read their reviews aloud in person. Public shaming is a powerful tool.It bothers me that beer snobbery is taking over. There I'm done. Feel better now.Got it off my chest

All the reviews on ratebeer and beeradvocate have really started to annoy me. Just the way they are written. When I go out with with my buddies and order a beer I don't turn to them and say "wow this beer pours a brilliant orange yellow with a vibrant rocky cascading foam" or some stupid s**t like that. Here is a real one after searching for 30 seconds-

"The beer explodes on the aroma with straight tropical juice. With mango, passion fruit, peach, apricot exploding on the nose as advertised, with flashbacks to childhood to tropical Bubblicious, Nerds, and Gobstoppers".

Who actually talks like that in real life? I think SWMBO would slap me if I said that in public. If these people only had to read their reviews aloud in person. Public shaming is a powerful tool.It bothers me that beer snobbery is taking over. There I'm done. Feel better now.Got it off my chest

Used explode twice. Minus 10 points.

But... but... how will anyone know about their superior sensory abilities if they can't accurately describe the exploding gobstopperocity of the beer they're drinking.

Reminds me of old tobacco (pipes and cigars) reviewers throwing the same tripe out there.

And big Mack? Go tigers

Some guy wrote that after 3 beers, on an empty stomach, after being alone, by that I mean personally isolated for 5 days. Let's not forget, lack of sex for 36 years. (Right hand doesn't count.)

Edit - It could be a bubbly woman who likes beer.

I liken them calling to ringing my door bell and feel it is an invasion of privacy.

I can be a real jerk and tend enjoy it when it comes to getting even.

When it comes to telemarketing....

1) I've pretended to be suicidal.

2) I've also pretended to be sociopath about confessing to killing my GF.

3) I've pretended to be retarded.

All to end up laughing when they they think I'm serious.

It usually stops them from making repeated calls.

My wife gets really mad at me when I do this though....

We just hooked up our landline and I screw with telemarketers relentlessly. Its gotten to the point that I enjoy them calling. After 1 or 2 times they wont call back-so it works to get them to stop calling. SWMBO gets irritated with me as well, even though I could tell she was amused at the old man who is hard of hearing bit that got the newspaper salesman to quit calling.

if a telemarketer does get thru nomorobo

me: (very soft, low voice) hello?

telemarketer: how much would YOU pay for the secrets of the universe?

me: (again, sotto voce) I did what you said

telemarketer: excuse me?

me: (yelling) THERE'S BLOOD EVERYWHERE!

<click>

In south Florida the local Police Benevolent Association always wanted donations. I never was sure if being rude or acting crazy was an option. Or if it was a request or a shakedown.

That's a good point. Probably not a good idea to be a suicidal, or sociopath if the police call.

My father in law is a retired suburban cop. I asked him the ones calling are legit. He said the Illinois Policeman Benevolent Association never does telemarketing or asks for money. He was the president for many years.

He went on to say no legit police fundraisers ever ask for money over the phone.

I told him about the "Chiefs of Police", he said he didn't know them, said he'd never give them money.

While they have local fundraisers, just not robo calling. They might run a beer booth at the local Oktoberfest.

One yearly police/firefighter fund raiser that I go to is a spaghetti dinner. They have the food and a raffle. They make money by turnout and selling the raffle tickets.

This Easter the local police sponsored an Easter egg hunt. Then afterwards gave out free hotdogs, chips and drinks. While selling off 50/50 raffle tickets and giving a away two bicycles to the kids of the Easter egg hunt. The eggs were filled with jelly beans, or a prize ticket for a bicycle. Everything given away was donated by somebody.

And no they were NOT recovered stolen bicycles.

That's how legit public service get money from the community. Do some work for money. Not just say gimme money and mail you a sticker to put on your car.

then there's the BigHair's method of getting rid of solicitors at the door:

I have a lot of JW's in my neighborhood that came around a lot. Whenever the doorbell would ring my 100 lb German Shepard Rufus goes crazy and wants to snack on whoever is at the door. Open the door slightly with him growling and say " down Lucifer down!" Never came back. Which is proof they have some kind of do not visit list that if you enough of an a-hole you can get on.

I have a lot of JW's in my neighborhood that came around a lot. Whenever the doorbell would ring my 100 lb German Shepard Rufus goes crazy and wants to snack on whoever is at the door. Open the door slightly with him growling and say " down Lucifer down!" Never came back. Which is proof they have some kind of do not visit list that if you enough of an a-hole you can get on.

tell them you're "disfellowshipped" and they'll leave you alone

Another Beer advocate- did this guy just say he would bang a beer?

"Jet black pour with a 3/4" tan head on the top of it, looks gorgeous like a model. So much chocolate smells on this one, vanilla, bourbon.

Taste is so thick, chocolate, bourbon, oak. I'm talking that super deep double German chocolate cake.
Amazingly sticky and hides the alcohol relatively so well. Just so much deep chocolate fudge. Carbonation just right. Smallest amount of coconut, but tons of vanilla and brownie batter/fudge/chocolate.

This is like chocolate rain with a little less 'sweet' type chocolate, this is more of the dark, stronger variety. Can't talk this up enough, this and chocolate rain are the stouts to end all stouts, and I love that its not uber rare 300 bottle count type of stuff. Will bang over and over again, happily."

Hopefully "Will bang over and over again, happily" means something else to this guy. He did say the beer looks like a gorgeous model though. Has me worried and confused. Working in EMS i've seen a few wangs stuck in bottles. No bueno

How the hell does one fit their Wang in a bottle?! I ain't even bragging. A bottle hole is pretty small.
In an industrial machinery rescue class I took a couple years ago, this was one of the situations we had to deal with. Granted, in the situation of the class, it was a finger stuck in the bottle, but the instructors told us about a case where they had to apply the same methods to free a, uh, different appendage.

(We also had to practice cutting off a wedding ring. With the same type of side story)

It has become one of my main goals in life to never do something that is used as an educational anecdote in any fire/rescue school.

In an industrial machinery rescue class I took a couple years ago, this was one of the situations we had to deal with. Granted, in the situation of the class, it was a finger stuck in the bottle, but the instructors told us about a case where they had to apply the same methods to free a, uh, different appendage.

(We also had to practice cutting off a wedding ring. With the same type of side story)

It has become one of my main goals in life to never do something that is used as an educational anecdote in any fire/rescue school.

AMEN. You don't ever want to be that guy and live in infamy. I always think of the Fire Chief in Oregon who decided it was a good idea to blow up a dead beached whale to get rid of it. That video is shown in all fire/ems/police leadership classes and probably a lot outside those services as well. Hindsight is 20/20 but god damn that was a not well thought out decision.

That's a lofty goal. I'm concentrating on not getting my pecker stuck in anything.

Snap-On and not Harbor Freight, right?

but, you do know, as long as you can still read "Craftsman" on the tool, Sears will exchange it for you

Thread is officially de railed and I am responsible.

I still want to know how someone banged a beer. Thinking back I did some kinky s**t in my younger years but I don't think it ever involved beer.

SWMBO i

Sorry got cut off,

SWMBO is laughing right now, says kinky beer sex will probably never happen. She said "probably" though so the door is still open.

I puled a Lloyd "So your sayin theres a chance"?

Back on track. Pet peeve of the day is cheap trash bags. My in-laws feel the need to go out of their way to buy the least expensive, lowest quality trash bags available, and then do so in bulk. It is impossible to get from the trash can to the back of the truck without at least a leak (on a good day), or more commonly, a total blowout.

To add insult to injury, they usually build up 2-3 bags in the garage if I am coming for the weekend, because I have a truck. Granted, it is a truck, and can be washed out, but it has a camper shell on it, and I like to keep the bed relatively clean, because that is where my dogs and beer cooler ride.

Last year I even bought the the giant box from Costco of good Kirkland bags, and they have officially been designated as being "saved for company." Damn things will be dry rotted by the time they get around to using them.

Break out the good china, the good silverware & the good trash bags when company's coming over

That's just proper etiquette

Reactions: Kee
What really annoys me - people that post something stupid and ruin a perfectly good "Epic Picture / Meme thread" for everyone else.

What really annoys me - people that post something stupid and ruin a perfectly good "Epic Picture / Meme thread" for everyone else.

I agree...

th9P1CIEEP.jpg

Back on track. Pet peeve of the day is cheap trash bags. My in-laws feel the need to go out of their way to buy the least expensive, lowest quality trash bags available, and then do so in bulk. It is impossible to get from the trash can to the back of the truck without at least a leak (on a good day), or more commonly, a total blowout.

To add insult to injury, they usually build up 2-3 bags in the garage if I am coming for the weekend, because I have a truck. Granted, it is a truck, and can be washed out, but it has a camper shell on it, and I like to keep the bed relatively clean, because that is where my dogs and beer cooler ride.

Last year I even bought the the giant box from Costco of good Kirkland bags, and they have officially been designated as being "saved for company." Damn things will be dry rotted by the time they get around to using them.

I honestly didnt know that there were "cheap vs expensive" trash bags. I just kinda always figured they were all pretty inexpensive and part of being an adult living in a house. Even if you sort them into expensive vs cheap categories, whats the price differencial? Like 2-3 cents per bag? Totally worth it in my opinion. I dont want the trash bag breaking on me when I carry it to the trash. If I dont have to take time to clean up nasty trash, totally worth the extra cash.

This. The rules are pretty straight forward. If you have to question whether or not it may be questionable, dont post it. I enjoyed that thread too :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back