This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what really grinds my gears? Road construction in the middle of winter. I'm sure the road crews don't like standing out there when it is freezing cold, either, which is why most days they aren't but those road cones are still there. How well does that pavement set up in these temperatures, btw?

Are you that bad at planning that you couldn't take on a manageable stretch of road that could be completed before there is a reasonable expectation of sleet and snow? Could you maybe have started the work before September, that might help keep people from running over your road cones in the icy conditions, too.

How about this one:

You're in an uncrowded supermarket, maybe the only person in an aisle, and somebody comes and hovers right next to you indicating that they want to look at exactly that thing which is directly in front of you. And if you move to look at something else, they want to look at that, too.

There must be some long-established postulate describing this phenomenon...

Also really annoys me when it's -30 celcius (-22 degrees fahrenheit) outside and the teens complain that they don't want to take the dogs out because it's cold.

Hello, do you think the dogs want to be outside any longer than they have to? With their bare feet? Why don't we just invite them to go do their business on your nice, cozy, warm bed?

Heh - you need dog booties.

And yes, I am convinced that is a purely American invention.

Heh - you need dog booties.

And yes, I am convinced that is a purely American invention.

I don't know who invented them, but they've been on the market here for over 40 years now under the Rukka and Hurtta brand names.

Funny that a Canadian woman claims to have "invented" them about 5 years ago :)

My dogs are terriers. They won't keep a freaking boot on their foot for 5 seconds before tearing it off with their teeth.

What really annoys me?

When peterfaces like this one talk with their hands. This guy should be bitchslapped just for looking the way he does:

2FD80E6F00000578-3387033-image-a-90_1452090300618.jpg

Motels, resorts, etc. that over-promise. Last week I went down to find the business center advertised on the motel's website. The "business center" is one computer (no printer) in the corner of the lobby.

Yes, and in my spare time I run a brewery. Or at least a microbrewery.

Christmas letters. Just got one from an ex-gf.

If I keep in regular contact with you, I don't need a letter at Christmas to update me on everything that happened in your life this year. If I need the letter to know what's going on, you're obviously not an important enough part of my life for me to keep tabs on (or have become so distant it's not worth keeping tabs on), so IDGAF what you're up to now.

(the ex-gf was really bad at that even when we were dating. A mutual friend would call her to catch up, and almost every question he asked was met with, "I wrote about that on my blog, didn't you read it? You should read my blog." That was when he gave up and stopped attempting to keep in touch with her. I followed suit shortly after)

Motels, resorts, etc. that over-promise. Last week I went down to find the business center advertised on the motel's website. The "business center" is one computer (no printer) in the corner of the lobby.

Yes, and in my spare time I run a brewery. Or at least a microbrewery.

Or the ones with a "free breakfast," consisting of a box of doughnuts and an airpot of coffee set up on a counter.

Reactions: Kee
People that drive in the far left lane and lock speed with the car right next to them...

rant-my-boss-really-pisses-me-off-and-other-musings-2.gif

That jack@$$ cellphone jockey who passes you on the freeway, slows down 15mph forcing you to pass (with cruise control set at the speed limit), and repeats this over and over until you just want to PIT maneuver his dumb @$$ and laugh as you envision him trying to get himself unstuck from the snowbank you put him in

Websites that require you to install some plugin in order to view it.

People today have the attention span of a gnat. If the site doesn't load in 10 seconds or less they are gone. And yet some site requires us to install a dubious plugin so that we can enjoy the full splendor of its splash page? 2002 called. It wants its webmaster back.

I hate websites that have "flyover" pop-ups. If I want info, I'll click the link. When I'm moving my mouse around, I don't need something to pop up and cover half my screen just because it touched a link for .0001 seconds.

Also, Pinterest. I learned to not even click a link to that site, because you can load the page, but as soon as you need to move the page down to keep seeing/reading what's on it, a damnable pop-up comes on the screen, saying that if you want to keep reading, you have to sign up.

Nope. Not even once.

Another pet peeve - places where I am looking for employment that pass me over because I have been out of work for so long.

"Why haven't you had a job [on the books, anyway - slym] for 2+ years?"

"Because people won't hire me for not having a job for 2+ years. If you turn me down, I am now getting closer to three years without a job. If this continues, I won't ever get a job."

Bad enough I am 40+ white male without college education. Now I can't even get a look by Target or Wal-Mart or even Papa Johns Pizza. No work history & my age are becoming a hindrance.

Another related pet peeve, people that tell me "Go in and talk to a manager!" I did that a couple of times - if they are part of a large corporation, I still have to fill out the application, usually online ( *sigh* ) and then Corporate HQ decides which applications it decides to send to its stores. So far, I am not their "cup of tea", apparently. So, talking to a manager does NOT help. I try and tell people that, and they refuse to listen. Like my mom, she thinks you still go out & "knock on doors". She's 77, and lived in a totally different world when it comes to getting a job.

Bah - it's all my fault for not going to college, I guess.

I hate websites that have "flyover" pop-ups. If I want info, I'll click the link. When I'm moving my mouse around, I don't need something to pop up and cover half my screen just because it touched a link for .0001 seconds.

Or the ones that suddenly pop up and blot out the whole screen. They sit there for 10-15 seconds before the "X" appears so you can close it out. Grrrrrr.

Another pet peeve - places where I am looking for employment that pass me over because I have been out of work for so long.

"Because people won't hire me for not having a job for 2+ years. If you turn me down, I am now getting closer to three years without a job. If this continues, I won't ever get a job."

Bad enough I am 40+ white male without college education. Now I can't even get a look by Target or Wal-Mart or even Papa Johns Pizza. No work history & my age are becoming a hindrance.

Another related pet peeve, people that tell me "Go in and talk to a manager!" I did that a couple of times - if they are part of a large corporation, I still have to fill out the application, usually online ( *sigh* ) and then Corporate HQ decides which applications it decides to send to its stores. So far, I am not their "cup of tea", apparently. So, talking to a manager does NOT help. I try and tell people that, and they refuse to listen. Like my mom, she thinks you still go out & "knock on doors". She's 77, and lived in a totally different world when it comes to getting a job.

Damn, that sucks. I hope you find something soon.

It's after 2 AM in the morning....I'm half awake, browsing the net and some annoying pop up ad gets by my pop up blocker and starts playing at FULL VOLUME over my PC's speakers , nearly waking everyone else in the house up and causing me to about have a heart attack. Yeah, I hate that.

Dude - That sucks. I'd sign up for some community college classes. Not sure what you have done in the past. A local CC has good classes one can take to reinvent oneself. Like CAD, electrical, HVAC or construction, etc.

Push comes to shove if you need something, tell them why you were out of work now. Like school.... If it hurts you from getting a crap job, just make up something so you can get something better. You might have say you tried to be self employed, or you took time off to care for elder or sick parent, or whatever. While I don't recommend lying, if I was desperate I might resort to that. They should not discriminate over you being unemployed.

I'd talk to the unemployment office see if they'd vouch for you at some place. You need references to back you.

Also, if you are politically motivated. Volunteer for a local candidate. You might make valuable friends that could help you out later.

Good Luck.

Dude - That sucks. I'd sign up for some community college classes. Not sure what you have done in the past. A local CC has good classes one can take to reinvent oneself. Like CAD, electrical, HVAC or construction, etc.

Push comes to shove if you need something, tell them why you were out of work now. Like school.... If it hurts you from getting a crap job, just make up something so you can get something better. You might have say you tried to be self employed, or you took time off to care for elder or sick parent, or whatever. While I don't recommend lying, if I was desperate I might resort to that. They should not discriminate over you being employed.

I'd talk to the unemployment office see if they'd vouch for you at some place. You need references to back you.

Also, if you are politically motivated. Volunteer for a local candidate. You might make valuable friends that could help you out later.

Good Luck.

If there was a like button on the app, I'd do it.

While lying is a dubious tactic, if you're not lying about your skills (I.e. sick parent care), what does it matter? And how can it be tracked?

Even a college degree is no guarantee. Those Catch-22 filters HR departments use drive me crazy too. I'm retired now but I used to pad my resume a tad (or a lot) to give them what they wanted. Employment records are much easier to check now though.

That sucks, man.

That's why it's good to always have your own limited company in existence - you can always claim that you were spending time trying to build a business.

The other suggestion, if you don't have a criminal record, is to apply to government (city, state or federal) jobs. I don't think they play the same games that private employers do.

And, of course, if you're smart enough then there is always money to be made from arbitrage. However, good arbitrage opportunities usually only exist for very short periods of time, so you always need to be on the lookout for the next thing.

Because they're still waiting for their tips ;-)

Considering its mcdonalds and not an actual restaurant, AND their service sucks monkey scrotums, they're will be not tips. They're will also not be me spending my money there at all.

Animated ads/videos that play automatically. The worst have audio that is not mutable. These ads cause a page to load much more slowly and their audio is really obnoxious. I'm usually listening to music when this happens & they step all over it.
Regards, GF.

This right here very much.

If there was a like button on the app, I'd do it.

While lying is a dubious tactic, if you're not lying about your skills (I.e. sick parent care), what does it matter? And how can it be tracked?

That's my thought. I really don't like the thought of lying. I'm ok with it only if it's to try alibi himself for the time and combat the time discrimination.

I just see it as a last resort. He needs some form of employment, just to appear more attractive to a longer term employer. The unemployment office should be able to help him. He could also contact a temp agency.

I am a degreed engineer. I was unemployed for nine months in Des Moines in 2008-2009. Stayed that way until I decided to venture way out of the city. I took a job 3-4 hours away and could only come home on weekends. This was through temp agency.

The power of volunteering should not be overlooked. He might make some very valuable life long contacts if he can connect with people in an election office. I never have done this personally. My wife has and got a college scholarship and got to know some important people in local politics. She also volunteers from time to time due to boredom. She's a stay at home mom.

Look at utility companies for employment. It may not pay much to come in on the bottom rung, but there are often jobs available with no degree and no expirience. There is also still opportunity in utilities to move up with employer provided or paid for education.

A lot of that education may be toward a license rather than a degree, but once you get that license, it's yours, and it's good at other similar utilities in your state and often others.

Utility work may also be parlayed into jobs with consulting and engineering firms. Those companies are sometimes looking for field expirience.

And my wife and I were just talking about the value of volunteer work during breakfast this morning. It really does look good in a reume. If nothing else, it makes you look like an active person with a good work ethic.

Animated ads/videos that play automatically. The worst have audio that is not mutable. These ads cause a page to load much more slowly and their audio is really obnoxious. I'm usually listening to music when this happens & they step all over it.
Regards, GF.

firefox & noscript + adblock plus

No site gets to run scripts any more till they've earned my trust.

And my wife and I were just talking about the value of volunteer work during breakfast this morning. It really does look good in a reume. If nothing else, it makes you look like an active person with a good work ethic.

++1

Personally, if you volunteered, did so for some time, you probably could tell the truth about the unemployment duration to a potential employer and it would not look all that bad. At least you did something to get out of the house and end the stagnation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back