This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
here in the Commonwealth we have 3 sets of stickers for our cars

1 is vehicle registration ($40.75 EVERY year) and you get 2 sets of stickers (Month & Year expired) to put on your license plates. set of each for front and back plate. it is illegal in Virginia not to have a front license plate

another is vehicle inspection. $16 every year for safety inspection, plus another $28 every 2 years for emissions inspection. sticker for the windshield

third is county/city sticker for property tax. depends on the assessed value of your car & how much your county tax rate is. and, because Loudoun is the richest county in the US, I presume we have one of the highest tax rates. I just paid my semi-annual Loudoun County tax due in May and that was $68. will pay another $68 due in November + a $25 decal fee. I get another sticker with the county seal on it for the windshield. different color each year. some counties (such as adjacent Fairfax) don't require a sticker

1 is vehicle registration ($40.75 EVERY year) and you get 2 sets of stickers (Month & Year expired) to put on your license plates. set of each for front and back plate. it is illegal in Virginia not to have a front license plate

another is vehicle inspection. $16 every year for safety inspection, plus another $28 every 2 years for emissions inspection. sticker for the windshield

third is county/city sticker for property tax. depends on the assessed value of your car & how much your county tax rate is. and, because Loudoun is the richest county in the US, I presume we have one of the highest tax rates. I just paid my semi-annual Loudoun County tax due in May and that was $68. will pay another $68 due in November + a $25 decal fee. I get another sticker with the county seal on it for the windshield. different color each year. some counties (such as adjacent Fairfax) don't require a sticker

Time to move? :(

Here in CA, your title/tags is based upon vehicle value.

Which I don't understand at all.

Does a 2017 BMW M5 cause more damage to the road than a 1988 Ford F150? Then why does it cost more to register each year?

That reminds me - I have to get the emissions checked on my Honda before the end of the month.

Hey, speaking of annoying things, a couple years ago the state shifted emissions testing to private facilities. Great idea, right? Private facilities means more locations to have testing done and, most important, they don't keep bureaucrat hours? Get testing done at a convenient time? Nope. The state still requires emissions testing be done before 5:00 pm on weekdays only.

Time to move? :(

not a chance. love it around here.

& the only way you're getting me out of this house is feet first

Here in CA, your title/tags is based upon vehicle value.

Which I don't understand at all.

Does a 2017 BMW M5 cause more damage to the road than a 1988 Ford F150? Then why does it cost more to register each year?

like GF was saying, it's a tax. the rich, who can afford the '17 BMW, have to pay their fair share

That reminds me - I have to get the emissions checked on my Honda before the end of the month.

Hey, speaking of annoying things, a couple years ago the state shifted emissions testing to private facilities. Great idea, right? Private facilities means more locations to have testing done and, most important, they don't keep bureaucrat hours? Get testing done at a convenient time? Nope. The state still requires emissions testing be done before 5:00 pm on weekdays only.

We have the same issues here. However....

In Illinois you only test if you're a registered resident in certain counties. The more populated ones. My wife's 2013 Hybrid Lexas requires emission testing. My 2006 gas burning, non-hybrid, Camry does not require testing.

Its Cook County (the Lexas) vs Macon County ( the Camry).

I have two residences. I live in Cook and work in Macon. Macon is roughly 3 hours away from Cook County. Hence the 2nd residence/brewery!

like GF was saying, it's a tax. the rich, who can afford the '17 BMW, have to pay their fair share

Gotta soak 'em every way you can... Ugh.

I mean, California is already a high-tax state. Our top (outside of millionaire income) rate is 9.3%. So if you can afford a 2017 BMW, you're ALREADY paying much more than the guy with the 1988 Ford.

But you need to double-tax that guy, with a disparate registration cost that makes NO sense whatsoever other than "well he can afford it".

I own a 98 Camry and an 02 Sentra and tags on them are more than $100 each. I have no interest in all at paying for a new BMW. Besides, BMW drivers are jerks and always cut you off. ;)

i'm sure I've posted this before

learn to recognize the signs of ADD... A-hole Driver Disease

if you or a friend show any of these signs, get help, A-hole

367.jpg

We have the same issues here. However....

In Illinois you only test if you're a registered resident in certain counties. The more populated ones. My wife's 2013 Hybrid Lexas requires emission testing. My 2006 gas burning, non-hybrid, Camry does not require testing.

Its Cook County (the Lexas) vs Macon County ( the Camry).

I have two residences. I live in Cook and work in Macon. Macon is roughly 3 hours away from Cook County. Hence the 2nd residence/brewery!

And it gets even better (in Illinois) diesel work trucks do not have to be tested because that would hinder business. The diesel mechanic I used back when I had a work truck had an official state testing set up for diesels but no one ever asked to have their truck inspected.

Golden Meadow Louisiana used to be famous (I don't know how bad the place is now) for routinely giving tickets 1 mph over the speed limit. You can raise a lot of revenue that way.

Infamous, even. We always drove under the limit there.

Reactions: Kee
i'm sure I've posted this before

learn to recognize the signs of ADD... A-hole Driver Disease

if you or a friend show any of these signs, get help, A-hole

View attachment 400761

Seems legit.

"Presented below are the 25 wealthiest counties (with populations of 65,000 or greater) in the United States by median household income according to the 2012 American Community Survey[3] prepared by the US Census Bureau." (Wikipedia)

Attachments

• dl.PNG
    dl.PNG
    11.3 KB · Views: 44
don't know how long it's been going on, but had a pinhole leak in the refrigerator water line, destroying the floor from beneath in the kitchen & pantry/laundryroom, which is right above my brew lab.

didn't notice until the ceiling in the brew lab fell into my equipment (mostly buckets & bottles)

small cut in a 1/8" water supply line causing a couple $1000 in damage to the floor

don't know how long it's been going on, but had a pinhole leak in the refrigerator water line, destroying the floor from beneath in the kitchen & pantry/laundryroom, which is right above my brew lab.

didn't notice until the ceiling in the brew lab fell into my equipment (mostly buckets & bottles)

small cut in a 1/8" water supply line causing a couple $1000 in damage to the floor

Damn, that sucks the big one. :(
Any chance home owners or renters insurance might cover it?

I feel your pain. Few years ago, I'm sitting in my computer room, chatting with a friend, when I hear what sounds like bacon cooking in the living room. Walk out to investigate...... the front seal had gone out on my 55 gallon aquarium, the 'sizzling' sound was the water cascading onto the hardwood floor. Pretty exciting next 5 minutes...managed to shock the ever loving crap out of myself trying to unplug everything, and went downstairs to discover it raining through the sheetrock ceiling. And I had $3,000 worth of artwork for our Pheasants Forever banquet stored down there. Ended up being a $9,000 repair bill by the time it was all said and done.

plastic.

easily fixed, expensive repair

Was it in the line itself or those quick connects that everything comes with now a days? I don't trust an fitting that just slides in and is supposed to "lock in place".

Was it in the line itself or those quick connects that everything comes with now a days? I don't trust an fitting that just slides in and is supposed to "lock in place".

a fine spray mist coming out of the line

and I didn't notice it sooner, because I hadn't been into my brew lab* in a while

so, kiddees, this illustrates the dangers of NOT brewing!

* it's also my band room, and I haven't played in a while. luckily, my Marshalls weren't under that section

1026.jpg

a fine spray mist coming out of the line

and i didn't notice it sooner, because i hadn't been into my brew lab* in a while

so, kiddees, this illustrates the dangers of not brewing!

* it's also my band room, and i haven't played in a while. Luckily, my marshalls weren't under that section

View attachment 400940

wow do these speakers go to 11?

Robot: For physician services, say "physician services."

Me: Physician services.

Robot: ... I'm sorry, I didn't catch that. For physician services ...

Me: *groan* Oh, f*** me ...

I spam the 0 key

the BigHair just starts cursing like a sailor. usually works

ironic, because I'm the one who was in the Navy

I scream at the phone after 3 tries....

... and then contemplate this. :D

Ortiz-Phone-Smash.gif

LOL! I remember that game.
Struck Out, Tossed Out...What else to do but murder the bullpen phone! :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Cheers! (Big Papi is awesome - and sorely missed!)

Whistling. Holy living *$&%, whistling.

And I don't mean a one note whistle at an exciting ball game or a concert, I mean whistling a tune - more specifically, TRYING to whistle a tune. Okay, if you can whistle like Axl Rose in "Patience," that might be okay, but most folks who decide to whistle tunes out in public are atonal, rhythmless trainwrecks. For the love of all that's holy, keep that tune inside your head, please. Please.

yes... the trailer with "Moron's Lawn and Landscape" painted on the side DOES COUNT as a "commercial vehicle"

get OUT of the left lane, moron

and no, just because you are hauling 47 of your co-workers doesn't mean it can be a considered a bus
894.jpg

The UK.

Why Award Flights From or Through the UK are Anything But Free

I was just looking at booking a vacation with my girlfriend to Italy next spring. I've accumulated a bunch of American Airlines miles over the years, and it seemed like a great time to cash some in.

So I find flights, dates, times, that all work with my itinerary. 60K miles each on Economy SAAver miles, booked on British Airways through codeshare, connecting through Heathrow.

I get to the next page and it tells me "120,000 miles +$1477".

Uh, what?

Between UK government fees and British Airways carrier-imposed fees, I'd be spending nearly $1500 for my "free" flight. If I booked a similar itinerary (arrival/departures within 2 hrs of original) for cash, with all flights booked as American Airlines tickets rather than British Airways, and with my return coming through Charlotte NC rather than London Heathrow, it would cost only $1900, and I wouldn't have to spend a single mile. If I booked a different routing through miles that allowed me to avoid London on the return but entirely on American Airlines, I could do it for 155,000 miles and only $150 in fees.

Ridiculous! How can BA and Heathrow justify these fees? Why would anyone who doesn't HAVE to go to London dare pay them?

The UK.

I was just looking at booking a vacation with my girlfriend to Italy next spring. I've accumulated a bunch of American Airlines miles over the years, and it seemed like a great time to cash some in.

So I find flights, dates, times, that all work with my itinerary. 60K miles each on Economy SAAver miles, booked on British Airways through codeshare, connecting through Heathrow.

Uh, what?

Between UK government fees and British Airways carrier-imposed fees, I'd be spending nearly $1500 for my "free" flight. If I booked a similar itinerary (arrival/departures within 2 hrs of original) for cash, with all flights booked as American Airlines tickets rather than British Airways, and with my return coming through Charlotte NC rather than London Heathrow, it would cost only $1900, and I wouldn't have to spend a single mile. If I booked a different routing through miles that allowed me to avoid London on the return but entirely on American Airlines, I could do it for 155,000 miles and only $150 in fees.

Ridiculous! How can BA and Heathrow justify these fees? Why would anyone who doesn't HAVE to go to London dare pay them?

Now might be a good time to not go to England. :(

The UK.

Uh, what?

I wouldn't fly anywhere out of the United States

Why?

I just went to Mexico for a week ( Sunday thru Sunday) in Rivera Maya for $1020.00 Airfare + Hotel+ Food + Booze. Chicago (ORD) to Cancun.

All inclusive. Service was top notch. Food was equal if not better than cruise quality or flat out gourmet even with the buffets. I had 16+ restaurants to eat from while I was there. I booked through Apple Vacations.

Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an

Sounds bad. Neither of us got sick. I don't eat rare fish or drink much dairy. Yogurt is the exception. However it's laden with good bacteria by nature. I kept my morning regime to yogurt,..... Bacon, Scrambled Eggs, Rojo Chilaques, Guacamole and Pico De Gallo.

I'd also be suspect about food served on side trips. Some of the foods looked awful. The conditions they have to cook in aren't near to be the best for the situation. I only eat cooked food and drink beer or bottled water off of the resort. My wife likes to eat salad and drink soda with lunch. She learned her lesson long long time ago going to Chichen-Itza. She ate raw veggies off the salad bar and got a coke poured over ice. Me I got hot food and a bottle of beer. Said said to me sarcastically is the beer really necessary. I said you tell me in a couple of days. She was puzzled and I said if you eat or drink that you'll get sick. She dismissed it and ate it anyways. She got a touch of Montezuma's Revenge. I did not.

If the hotel is flat out filthy and the kitchens aren't managed well the the risk is greater. Some of those reviews are old. Maybe they made changes. By observation what I had was top notch. I can only assume the kitchen was managed well. A lot of the food was gourmet. I would have to say cooks with that professional standard would not settle for poor sanitation. Not to mention their employees would get sick too.

People who leave their screen door propped open and walk away or otherwise be nowhere to be found!!!

I'm doing laundry at my work apartment, the balcony side walks are narrow enough that you can't pass an out swung open door with a laundry basket without busting up your knuckles....

I'm on the 3rd floor so I can't just walk around the thing.

I set down the basket, and push the door closed, however I didn't know it was propped open. I was on the back side of the door. I assumed the wind blew it open. I essentially bent the $hit out of gas rod!!!

I'm like oops, now I can get through. They opened the main door just few seconds after I walked passed the door.

I just kept walking.... They aren't supposed to have a screen door in the first place. I partly felt bad about it since it was an accident. They were ******-like for blocking a side walk.

They didn't follow me into the laundry facility. They were blocking access to that exterior laundry room and the stairs to the ground level. Which is one of two fire escapes.

I'd have apologized, but if they would of gotten $hitty about it they'd get an earful.

Now might be a good time to not go to England. :(

I'm not going to allow that to affect my plans. It's not like I'm trying to be a tourist in Tehran...

No place is ever "safe", not even the neighborhood in which I live and raise children, but all places have varying levels of safety. Europe is easily above the minimum safety threshold for travel.

Ok, I may have drunk posted a bit. I really don't want to fly out of our country. I remembered a few years ago there was a don't fly to Mexico thing and I guess stuff like that is embedded in my head. Schlenkerla I'm glad you had a great time, I may go some day.

Ok, I may have drunk posted a bit. I really don't want to fly out of our country. I remembered a few years ago there was a don't fly to Mexico thing and I guess stuff like that is embedded in my head. Schlenkerla I'm glad you had a great time, I may go some day.

Thanks!

One thing that's was funny or ironic about Mexico. I was there for work one time. I started out in Monterrey for a week then flew to Queretaro (2-3 hours south by air) for another week. My trip was cut short because one cartel dumped 50 severed heads of an enemy cartel about 30 miles from the U.S. Mexican border. I'm 8 hours away (by car) from that act of violence. My employer overreacts and calls me back home. I get home and the gangs in Chicago kill 16 people over the weekend. I'm only 10 minutes by car from the violence.

Found that VERY silly, because while in Mexico I was escorted by an armed guard in an armored Suburban, but it's OK to drive around by myself in Chicago unarmed and in my ordinary Toyota Camry. I think I was safer in Mexico! :D

They have the armored vehicles because sometimes they transport employees across the border.

so, a PREMIUM OneDrive account includes everything EXCEPT a backup of your files in case your **** gets encrypted by ransomware

so, THANKS, MICROSOFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back