Third batch... still too yeasty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We have brewed three times now ( London Porter was a disaster, Oktoberfest and now an IPA ) and they have all had this nasty off yeasty taste. It also has a alcoholic bite to it.

We don't know what we could be doing wrong.

when you pour a beer, are you making sure to leave the yeast in the bottom of the bottle? depending on how long you left it in the fermenter there could be quite a lot of yeast in the bottom of the bottle. this could be your problem!

Sounds like acidic citrus taste? My theory is too high fermentation temps, but I am a newb relatively speaking too. What was your yeast? what was the atmospheric temp in the home when you brewed?

when you pour a beer, are you making sure to leave the yeast in the bottom of the bottle? depending on how long you left it in the fermenter there could be quite a lot of yeast in the bottom of the bottle. this could be your problem!

Yes we are very careful. We've tried using Irish moss and secondarying, but it still is wayyyyy too yeasty, and overly alcoholic flavored

Yes we are very careful. We've tried using Irish moss and secondarying, but it still is wayyyyy too yeasty, and overly alcoholic flavored

how long has the beer been bottled and is it fully carbed? sounds like green beer maybe, and I also agree with high ferment temps

Hmm, 70f is kind of pushing it for most ale yeasts in terms of achieving clean flavors. It's always a good idea to reference the recommended temperature range for the yeast strain and try and keep fermentation in the lower end, but a safe bet for most ales is pitching in the low 60's and slowly bringing up the temp from there.

Also keep in mind that during primary fermentation, the activity of the yeast can cause the beer to rise above ambient temps by several degrees. So your room temp was 70f, but the fermenting wort's temp could've been significantly higher, thus enhancing off flavors.

I am by no means a brewing expert, but I've had the same experience with more than one batch of beer, and high fermenting temps seem like the most likely culprit to me.

How long did you let it sit in the fermenter? You could always cold crash your beer to get more yeast to drop out. Was your beer really cloudy?

I bet it is fermentation related, a common mistake that new brewers make. Fermentation is the thing new brewers least understand and often pay too little attention to, and it is the cause of the "homebrew twang" you may have heard of. I have three pieces of advice that will improve your beer by miles: sanitation, proper pitching rate, fermentation temperature control. Focus your attention on these as much as you can. Here are some resources:
mrmalty.com jamil's pitching rate calculator
brewingnetwork.com Brewstrong podcasts on temp control and sanitation

My guess is fermentation temperature is either too high or fluctuated too much the first few days of fermentation.

Yup, if your ambient is 70F, your beer is getting WAY above that, probably close to 80F at peak fermentation. You need to get your temps under control, and then that flavor will disappear.

Fermentation produces heat, so you need to get your beer temp way below ambient- when a yeast company recommends a temperature, they mean that's the temperature range it should be IN the beer, not the closet where the beer is sitting. Always shoot for the low end of that range, unless you're trying to get some of the crazy fruity flavors from a hef or belgian yeast.

So yea, it really was a "Oh, do this" kind of thing. You're good- just learn from it and make the next batch even more awesome.

On the topic of proper pitching rate...

We have never done a starter, and looking at the pitching rate calculator... None of it makes any sense! xD

Back