Things a Homebrewer Thinks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every time I buy something new for brewing and I tell the wife the cost that sounds best (not what I REALLY paid) I think, "Man, if I died tomorrow, some lucky sob will get the steal of the century on all my equipment."

+1

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I am sure it has been mentioned already but everytime I visit a brewery or brew pub I spend the next few days day dreaming about how I would do it. I mean obsessively so, like what house yeast would be, house base malt, seasonal schedules, glassware designs, barrel aging program, etc. As it is now I sort of look at my homebrew pipeline in a very calculated way as I have a few regular recipes and then seasonally brew other stuff.

Used to be, I would come home after a long day, crack open a Goose Island or Lagunitas, and watch some TV to unwind.

Today, I got home, cracked open a bottle of my first batch of homebrew (BB Red Ale), and watched my primary airlock bubble away for half an hour as my first IPA ferments. I think I'm going to really enjoy this homebrewing thing.

That! I've been at it almost a year too. Done a Belgian blonde, German hefe, Saison, nut brown, 2 batches of caramel apple cider, a plain apple cider, a peach cider, and I have a Marzen and a Maibock in the bottles now! I also just bought ingredients for another apple cider, and a helles Bock, which will be my first non-kit-made-it-up-myself recipe. Can't wait to brew! Welcome to the addiction!

I can't think of one more thing I can't do without to brew beer except...err...a...

That! I've been at it almost a year too. Done a Belgian blonde, German hefe, Saison, nut brown, 2 batches of caramel apple cider, a plain apple cider, a peach cider, and I have a Marzen and a Maibock in the bottles now! I also just bought ingredients for another apple cider, and a helles Bock, which will be my first non-kit-made-it-up-myself recipe. Can't wait to brew! Welcome to the addiction!

How'd that peach cider turn out? I was thinking of doing a peach apfelwein...

How'd that peach cider turn out? I was thinking of doing a peach apfelwein...

Mine was "lessons learned". Without reading the label carefully, I used "Lite" peach juice which had almost no sugar. I then added 4 pounds of white sugar boiled on the stove, and Wyeast 4766 cider yeast. The gravity was only 1.045 or so, so it only got up to about 4.5% abv. To "fix" that I did some calcs and added peach schnapps to raise it, but thanks to bad math it barely increased. Anyway, it ended up tasting pretty good over ice, but I can't say I'm proud of it. Don't do what I did. In hindsight, I need to do what I do with apple cider: locate a good source of juice and frozen concentrate. With apple, I use 5 gal of Motts juice and 5 cans of FAJC, and add Wyeast 4766. I've backsweetened with FAJC and pasteurized in the past, but since I don't like bombs I'll backsweeten with lactose from here out. That's my 2 cents. Sorry you asked? Good luck with the peachfelwein!

I guess there are a few "Things a Homebrewer Thinks" in there. Don't want to get too far :off:

Tasted my 1st brew yesterday, got a 2nd batch in the fermenter. Time to make my own recipe!

I registered on Brewer's Friend, input some past batches and started playing around with changing ingredients, amounts and times. The "Matches Type" tool in the gray box when creating your own recipe really helps me make decisions, but I don't necessarily strive to make an exact match. For example, the hellesbock I'm going to brew this weekend matches in OG, ABV, and IBU, but it's lighter in color than what "Matches Type" says a light bock should be, which is fine. With this batch, I'm trying to make the lightest color and clearest lager I can while keeping the ABV up around 7%, and have it smell and taste something like a Czech or German light lager. I was inspired by a liter of Staropramer in a local restaurant. It's fun to play with and see what you get! Good luck with batch #2!:mug:

Would the water from the creek make better beer than the water from my well? What about the snow? I've heard maple sap..........

Where did I put those sap taps?

I need to stop at the lhbs and pick up some pbw for my taps.

I wonder if pbw would clean that? Maybe it's mold......

Yeast is mold.......

I wonder if my sourdough starter would be a good yeast to ferment a batch of George Washington's small beer?

Is my GW small beer carbed yet?

Where did Melana's she devel go? ;)

Would the water from the creek make better beer than the water from my well? What about the snow? I've heard maple sap..........

Where did I put those sap taps?

I need to stop at the lhbs and pick up some pbw for my taps.

I wonder if pbw would clean that? Maybe it's mold......

Yeast is mold.......

I wonder if my sourdough starter would be a good yeast to ferment a batch of George Washington's small beer?

Is my GW small beer carbed yet?

Where did Melana's she devel go? ;)

That! Isn't ADD fun?! Ooh look, shiny!

I just bought today about using snow as brew water just to say I did. Wondering if this is scientifically possible but to not sidetrack this thread I am going to post inquiry in new post.

I have half a keg left, two batches of beer brewing, and 5 gallons of mead going. What should I start next week??? Along with can I upgrade one or two more kegs in my fridge.

Also; Hi my name is Jon, I'm a home brewer. It's been three days since I've brewed....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When you go shopping with the wife to the out lets and every store you walk out of was around $30 and you think there is 5gals of beer and did this in my head 5 times over it was a tuff day thank god tröegs is right next to it to wash my sorrows down lol, and my beer total was cheaper then anything at the outlets lol

Some thoughts I've had over the course of my home brewing career...

What equation do I need to use to calculate the equivalent water displacement of 12 pounds of grain in my 7 gallon mash tun?

If my fermentation chamber holds 2 fermenters, and I need to ferment for 1 week... And I use the same chamber to cold crash beer... and my friends and I drink about 5 gallons of my beer every two weeks... How do I stagger brewing, fermentation, cold crashing, and drinking so that I can maintain 8 full kegs at all times?

I really wish I could brew beer for a living.

I really wish I could drink beer for a living.

Why doesn't my wife like my beer?

I wish my neighbor wouldn't drink so much of my beer.

Man... this carboy is heavy.

How can I bottle beer faster?

I really hate bottling beer.

I hope I didn't just kill my yeast.

Hearing all the news about the water contamination in West Virginia... man, that's rough. If that happened here, I might not be able to brew.

Sitting here, sick as a dog, achy, sore throat, congested, sinus headache, thought of beer makes me wanna puke...... watching my airlock bubble slowly.

No worries, that's why ya boil it.

Not quite, that contaminant was not removed by boiling. You would have to distilled it or diluted it by about 100,000:1 to remove enough of it to not be noticeable. That was after it was diluted by the normal river flow.

Personally, I was not in that part of the state, but quite a few friends were. After the water company flushed everything to get less than 1 ppb people were told to run their water from all faucets and flush the hot water tank for an hour before using any water.

Didn't see the news, what contaminant was it? We're dealing with the LACK of water out here in CA. But Obama came to town and he's gonna fix everything!... ugh.

Sitting here, sick as a dog, achy, sore throat, congested, sinus headache, thought of beer makes me wanna puke...... watching my airlock bubble slowly.

sound healthier..but if i had ebola i would drink..no matter how sick i am..beer in the face..some people would call me a alcoholic but i dont agree life is great.

Sometimes I play "will it ferment" in my mind. "could I add this ham to the boil?"

Didn't see the news, what contaminant was it? We're dealing with the LACK of water out here in CA. But Obama came to town and he's gonna fix everything!... ugh.

The chemical is 4-methylcyclohexane methanol, a foaming agent used in coal preparation plants. Over 300,000 people had to get alternative water sources for everything except flushing toilets.

Oh... (sheepish) Yeah, that might not boil out, but head retention would be through the roof, although carcinogenic. Very unfortunate for those folks.

This is a really good beer, interesting yeast... maybe I should harvest it...

(Did this today, luckily I have clean vials and jars sitting around)

Hmm, another batch ready to keg, and no room in the kegerator, whatever shall I do...oh wait, thy glass just refilled itself...

I have the same issue tonight. One problem I don't mind having!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back