Things a Homebrewer Thinks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not know why my company has been sending me a $100 check labeled "Employee expense reimbursement" every month when I have not put in any expense reports, but I definitely am spending them on brewing ingredients/equipment. Maybe I should save them up and buy something I wouldn't buy otherwise. True story. I am afraid to ask why I am getting them because I fear they may stop.

I do not know why my company has been sending me a $100 check labeled "Employee expense reimbursement" every month when I have not put in any expense reports, but I definitely am spending them on brewing ingredients/equipment. Maybe I should save them up and buy something I wouldn't buy otherwise. True story. I am afraid to ask why I am getting them because I fear they may stop.

Clearly you are expected to stock the break room fridge with your suds.

I am contracted out so I believe it is due to my weird schedule (sun-thurs where I am paid bi-monthly) so I often have one check that is under on hours, one that is over, but then again I am that valued (read awesome) of an employee... Maybe I should bring the home office a couple growlers and see if I can impress them more? I do feel bad though. I think I should be honest and bring it up to HR. The last thing I want to do is get someone in trouble for an honest mistake. maybe I should post this in the ethics thread.

I am contracted out so I believe it is due to my weird schedule (sun-thurs where I am paid bi-monthly) so I often have one check that is under on hours, one that is over, but then again I am that valued (read awesome) of an employee... Maybe I should bring the home office a couple growlers and see if I can impress them more? I do feel bad though. I think I should be honest and bring it up to HR. The last thing I want to do is get someone in trouble for an honest mistake. maybe I should post this in the ethics thread.

From a lawyer to you: it's best to leave sleeping dogs lie.

It's probably a commute reimbursement.

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

I wounder how mjch it would be to check that keg there throwing away at the airport bar

As I was getting dressed for bottling 10 gallons of Rye IPA, the first thought was that I had to find my "brewing clothes". Before StarSan, I used either bleach or iodophor, which would wreck my clothes, so I always wore the same "outfit" on brewing or bottling day. Man, I love StarSan!

"Didn't get around to bottling the bourbon honey ale this weekend. Guess it will just have to get more oaky and bourbony."

I have to go buy 12 Sierra Nevada's. I need them so I'll have the bottles ready to brew one more batch.

Did this last week, then had a 1/8 inch of ice on all my downstairs windows.:drunk: Damn those old farmhouse single panes.

Wait, you haven't filmed your windows before that wonderful cold snap we had? Not only will it keep some of the humidity in, but you will be amazed by the energy savings when it comes to heating your place.

Yesterdays while perusing Homebrewfinds.
Hmmm... Boils have been getting tight with 10-1 gallon batches in my 15 gallon pot (I am still dialing in my boiloff and volumes) so maybe I should pick up the 20 gallon aluminum pot off of amazon that I have been thinking over, wait, there is a 25 gallon SS pot with false bottom, valve and thermometer for $155? Sold. Now I need to convince myself to get a pump. That will be a heavy pot when full.

15 gallon ported brew pots are not only great for brewing, but they come in quite handy during a broken water main. Fill it. Boil it. Use it.

For those who don't have a 15 gallon ported kettle, you now have a selling point for your SWMBO.

Wait, you haven't filmed your windows before that wonderful cold snap we had? Not only will it keep some of the humidity in, but you will be amazed by the energy savings when it comes to heating your place.

Yesterdays while perusing Homebrewfinds.
Hmmm... Boils have been getting tight with 10-1 gallon batches in my 15 gallon pot (I am still dialing in my boiloff and volumes) so maybe I should pick up the 20 gallon aluminum pot off of amazon that I have been thinking over, wait, there is a 25 gallon SS pot with false bottom, valve and thermometer for $155? Sold. Now I need to convince myself to get a pump. That will be a heavy pot when full.

Lol I did something similar.

SWMBO got me a 30L Spiel fermentor for Christmas and the most I can make with my current pot is 7 at post boil hmmm.

Oh look a 25 gallon pot!

"I've got to make room for a cider...I'll bottle this 5 gallon batch before work."

And I would have had PLENTY of time had it not been for my ******* dog pissing the floor right before I started washing bottles, and my bottling wand sh!tting the bed and breaking and spilling beer all over the kitchen :mad:

It's all bottled though, time for cider :mug:

Is it wrong that I think I might like all the equipment almost as much as I like the god nectar it creates.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

^I don't think so. I don't have fancy Blichman's or any of that,but I have a lot of bits that make brew day/bottling day pretty decent. And my fermenter stand is here in the mancave next to the comp hutch. so I got a room with a view! :mug:

Just started, but here is mine so far:
I just bottles my first batch and brewed my second batch on the same day, two days ago. I want to brew again but i don't have enough empty bottles or another primary. I should buy three more primaries and a kegging setup.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Just started, but here is mine so far:
I just bottles my first batch and brewed my second batch on the same day, two days ago. I want to brew again but i don't have enough empty bottles or another primary. I should buy three more primaries and a kegging setup.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

More fermenters are a must. A year ago when I started, I thought one would do, in constant two week rotation. Now I have 5, though only one is bigger than 3 gallons. But I still bottle, not having the room, power, or cash for kegging. I get bottles for the 5c deposit from the distributor, and save all my craft brew bottles.
Welcome to the obsession.

Ive got 4 (6) gallon, 2 (5) gallon (for secondary) , 1(3) galoon and 3 (5) plastic buckets and Im constantly having to make sacrifices with how Im gonna get brewing done. With 15 gallons lager its a struggle

For me,I can brew like 2 batches two months in a row,winding up with some 9 cases of beer total. Then notice I still have enough bottles left to do maybe 6 more batches. But now that I have 3 fermenters-1 Cooper's Microbrew,1 6G BB,& one 7.9 gallon bucket I can now do three 5G batches at a time. But being retired with inflation & everyone jumping on the deductables band wagon,it's tough to brew at all. I gotta do some more research on brewing style vs ingredient costs. Maybe turn the Cooper's OS Lager into something like Midwest's PM Cascade pale ale kit in extract form. That was a good beer.
I would love to brew three 5G beers a month for three months in a row to see if I can finally fill all my bottles.

"I am going to have to drink more to make room so I can "bottle" my secondary and still brew this Friday."

Hey,answering that guy's questions just gave me an idea! I'll do some quick brewdays on the cheap to fill my 3 fermenters! I used to use Cooper's OS Lager as a base for some good AE beers! I'll just add DME & some cascade hops & fill'em up cheap! EEEERRRRT! WROOOOOONG!!! Cooper's OS Lager is up to $26 per can now. Funk me bowl-legged. Another idea goes down the head,damn. That beer is in some of my good AE recipes too. Can't find'em cheap anywhere,as all Cooper's cans have gone up quite a bit since I started brewing. All I wanted was a cheap,quick way to fill three fermenters quick & easy. Now that I've gotten good at pb/pm biab,AE beers would be a sinch & shave hours off some quicker brew days. Oh well,back to mashing all day.

I jus brewed a half batch of Kölsch in a 15 gallon keg. I have all of 2.5 gallons to cool. Its -1 F outside so I jus set the keg outside to let the wort cool with the lid off. Its going alot slower that when I use my immersion cooler. But I figure if some bacteria is out there lookin for a meal in these conditions, it EARNED my beer!! RDWHAHB!! And I am! A Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale at that :) Gawd this is good! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390879092.196071.jpg

While laying in the recovery room at hospital, " That's a nice oxygen flow meter. Wonder if they would notice one missing?'

Maybe I have real issues. I wash and sanitize everything that touches the cold side before I put it away. Then I wash and sanitize everything before I use it. Does everybody clean this much??

Back