Thin white film floating in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Observation, just that you are replying to a comment that is 4 years old. Someone responded to a thread that was 8 years old.

What are your thoughts? The best way to describe it is that it kind of looks like soap scum/residue that would float on the surface of bath water. It doesn't appear to be fuzzy/hairy looking. It is pretty thin and patchy, and doesn't cover the entire surface, maybe about 65-75%. I can't detect any off odors. The batch is a BB Pale Ale, done according to the directions. I use Oxy-Clean Free and Star San. It spent 2 weeks in primary, and has been in secondary for about 4 weeks. I won't get a chance to bottle it until this weekend at the earliest. I can try to post a pic later this evening. Thanks in advance.

So, here’s mine. It’s our ginger bug that was left to itself for several months. It’s like layers of the white solid stuff. What is it?

So, here’s mine. It’s our ginger bug that was left to itself for several months. It’s like layers of the white solid stuff. What is it?
Welcome to our forum!

Did you intend to upload a picture, or a link to one, for us to see?

A white, often reticulated layer floating on top may be a "pellicle."

Interesting old thread (with plenty of misinformation).

@lisa.schwind
It's normal for a "ginger bug" to form a pellicle. It is not harmful, just a product of the wild microbes responding to the oxygen in the air.

Back