White mold (but gone after fermenting). Do I have a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penninck

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a second opinion if my cider is still drinkable?

I've seen a white hairy mold-like area floating on the surface of my cider.
Originally the fermentation hadn't started but instead I found the white stuff (don't have pictures unfortunately).

-I didn't want to throw away the batch so scooped away the "mold" and I repitched some yeast. This time the fermentation took off and went all the way (last density measurement was 1.001). From those reaings I should have an alcohol percentage of 7%. After 1 week I opened the lid and no new "mold" had grown.
-I tasted at this stage and it tased sour but not more than I had in previous (20x smaller) batches of the same recipe and juice. It didn't make me sick or anyting. I have a strong stumach so the live yeast usually doesn't bother me.

After that I racked into the secondary vessel with some extra sugar and topped up with more juice. Whichi is bubbling away right now.

I sanitized all gear before using. Still I'm worried I may have wasted a batch. Which is ainful since I spent 5 months practicing on smaller (1.5l) batches and now finally thought I was readyto go for a real batch of 30l.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Nothing pathogenic grows in fermented beverages. They can still spoil, like getting an infection that makes your brew taste like bile. That really happened btw. But without pictures, we're all guessing just lie you.

Thanks for the advice. Too bad I didn't think to tkae pictures.

Guess I'll just let it settle for a few more weeks and taste the outcome.

Back