Thickening Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhsully

Reaction score
Hey sorry if this has been asked and answered 100x but am unable to locate it.
Could someone let me know, or point me in the right direction, while making cider will it work to thicken the end result of my cider if I cook down a portion of my juice before fermentation?
I made my first batch last year and added a white grape concentrate based on the wine stores recommendation but would like to stick to just our apples if able. Thanks!

To a small extent, yes. It's like making soup or a stock and continuing to cook it down. By virtue of concentrating everything but water, you're going to make a thicker liquid. OTOH, the more you boil the must the more flavor and aroma you're going to break down. There are many other ways to improve body in cider.

If you carbonate, playing with both a high or low amount of carbonation can give the impression of more body.

Backsweetening or halting fermentation can add body, if you aren't working towards a dry cider.

Tannins are important to body in any fruit beverage. Most of the tannins in apples are in the skin, which you don't have if you buy apple juice and often people don't ferment cider on the pomace, which results in a thinner product. Often you see tannins added back by steeping tea or adding wine tannins. You can overdo it and create an unpleasant experience with too much tannin.

Adjusting the acid content of cider won't add body but it will add structure that makes the cider feel rounded. Often cider ferments into a middling acidity that feels flabby because apples aren't particularly acidic fruit unless you add sharp apples in the juice. A little wine acid blend can help.

You can also add thickeners like maltodextrin that won't affect the flavor or sweetness (unless you add way too much) but will add body.

IMO pick one option and see if you can get closer to what you want. If a dry cider isn't the goal, play with keeping more sugar in the cider for body. If that doesn't get it done or you want a dry cider, explore adding tannins as a first or next step.

Back