There's no such thing as a session IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm just putting it out there...I've tried every session IPA out there, and I've come to the conclusion that it is impossible to make a decent session IPA.

I'm done chasing that unicorn. If it's not 6-8%, I'm not drinking it.

Just have a Pale Ale lol

Indeed, while I enjoy all the rationalizations and alleged history behind the whole "session" thing, along with the historical confusion over the
"IPA" thing, what's actually behind the curtain is simply a hoppy pale ale...

Cheers! ("Keepin' it simple, while the effin' drama queens are everywhere" ;))

Have you had Stone Go To IPA? Best one i've had to date. Pure hop juice. Yum.

I tend to agree the session IPA category is a style of contradictions. IPAs are big bold strong beers and well, sessions beers are not.

Boulevard had a good session IPA too, but I suspect you wouldn't be able to find it out of the Kansas City / St Louis area.

I love the beer that comes packaged as a "Session IPA", but it's just hoppy pale ale.

Founders' All Day = 42 IBUs, well within the style range of an American Pale Ale (30-45). I'm sure they know full well that they're selling pale ale under a name that will move more units.

Boulevard had a good session IPA too, but I suspect you wouldn't be able to find it out of the Kansas City / St Louis area.

You'd be surprised how wide Boulevards distribution is these days. Taking some to friends in WI tomorrow and messing with the BLVD website just realized they sell it out there ...

Am I one of the few that doesn't understand the need for massive bitterness? Hop flavor yes! Massively bitter? BLECH!

Agreed, beside who wants BBF?

image.jpg

Technically I think the difference is supposed to be the use of caramel malts. A PA typically has 5-10% cara, while a session should be drier. But I agree that this is shaving hairs; it's mostly a marketing thing.

Am I one of the few that doesn't understand the need for massive bitterness? Hop flavor yes! Massively bitter? BLECH!

I am going to hang in there with MaryB. I think for ANYTHING to be considered a session beer, you FIRST have to like that beer to begin with. If not, there's no session to it.

Some are hop heads, some are not. When I hit that 25 IBU threshold I get nervous. 30 IBU I am one and done! I like Gose sours while large numbers don't. I promise not to bash hop heads if they promise not to bash sour heads. Glad we have many styles and many flavors to try and brew. When I began homebrew in the 80's, ingredient choices were severely limited.

And MaryB, you may be among more than you realize who join you in not feeling the need for overwhelming bitterness.

Technically I think the difference is supposed to be the use of caramel malts. A PA typically has 5-10% cara, while a session should be drier. But I agree that this is shaving hairs; it's mostly a marketing thing.

The term "session" is used to describe a beer of lower ABV so that you can drink more of them during a "session" without getting hammered!

There is no rule for how much caramel malt to use in an APA or IPA though most do not want much, if any, in an IPA.

I dont really understand the point here. Session IPAs are just lower abv IPAs. It has nothing to do with caramel, in fact i think session beers often use more caramel as a % to make increase body and flavor. Nor is a session IPA the same thing as an APA. The balance of an APA is less bitter than an IPA.

Is this just another thread to debate the merits of IPA popularity?

From the bjcp guidelines:

Less bitterness in the balance and alcohol strength than

an American IPA. More balanced and drinkable, and less

intensely hop-focused and bitter than session-strength

American IPAs (aka Session IPAs)

Anyone can brew a bitter beer but it takes finesse to make a flavorful one whether it's a session, single or double IPA. Some might prefer more bitterness while others prefer more flavor but IMHO you need both for a good IPA, no matter what the IBUs. I've had 90 IBU DIPAs that that screwed my face up and 90 IBU DIPAs that were smooth as silk. Same with session IPAs. Just find what you like and stick with it.

The term "session" is used to describe a beer of lower ABV so that you can drink more of them during a "session" without getting hammered!

There is no rule for how much caramel malt to use in an APA or IPA though most do not want much, if any, in an IPA.

There are no "rules" to anything we brew but an AIPA typically has 0-5% cara and an APA typically has 5-10%.

Other way around actually. A typical PA/APA/IPA has more malt back bone to balance the hops so can get away with little to no caramel malt.

A session beer doesn't have the same amount of residual sweetness to balance the hops so you need more crystal and/or a higher mash temp.

I think that commercial session IPAs are indeed a rare thing. However it is absolutely possible to brew one yourself, and end up with a beer with the hop punch and mouthfeel of an IPA but in the 4-5% ABV range.

I have two kegged myself at the moment, they are one of my ideal hot weather beers, as they are hoppy and thirst quenching, but I can have one or two in the sun and not be laid out like I would if they were 7-8% beers.

I find that the mash hot with some adjuncts and add sugar in the kettle approach works very well for the style. A British base malt (GP does an excellent job), some flaked oats or barley for the body, a touch of crystal for color (4-8oz max), perhaps some honey malt, mash at 158 and a pound of turbinado in the kettle for an OG of 1.048.

Or if you can step mash then you can skip the kettle sugar and up the base malt a little to compensate. Give it an hour at 148, ramp to 154 and hold for 15-20 minutes then mash out and boil.

A small addition of columbus (NMT 15g) for FWH, then blast it like you would any other IPA, 3-4 ounces at FO, 3-4 ounces in the whirlpool then a generous hand with the dry hops.

I've had a few session IPA's that I really enjoy. Introvert by Left Hand is great, as is Founders All day. Pushing 50, I have no issues accepting lower ABV brews these days, and that goes for just about any of them.

I like Easy Jack from Firestone/Walker and made a clone of it this spring but substituted different hops; it was ok, but the hop flavor faded quickly, so next time I'm going to boost the late hop and dry hop amounts.
I've switched to some lower ABV beers lately in an effort to trim down my waistline.

I don't think beers need 6-8% + abv to taste good or have body. That said, I do love a good DIPA, Imperial, etc. but it's also nice to have a lower abv beer on some nights during the week, while mowing or doing yard work, and really hot days out in the sun.

I don't think beers need 6-8% + abv to taste good or have body. That said, I do love a good DIPA, Imperial, etc. but it's also nice to have a lower abv beer on some nights during the week, while mowing or doing yard work, and really hot days out in the sun.

That's what blonde, wheat and kolsch ales are for...

Thank you! A) They're all too thin for an IPA experience, B) An IPA is a Pale Ale on steroids, tone it down and you're back at a Pale Ale

I wish that every hoppy beer didn't have to be called an IPA.

And there's already a separate style that pretty much covers what a session IPA is trying to be, it's called an Ordinary Bitter.

Now for British beer lovers, like me, you'll generally be using UK ingredients. But you don't have to. You can use 2-row and American hops and it's still an Ordinary Bitter.

I like IPAs, I just wish every hoppy beer didn't have to be called some sort of IPA. I feel like just when BMC isn't the only kind of beer out there we're all painting ourselves into a corner calling everything a damn IPA.

I guess my point is that in my IMO it's all about balance. For me at least, you can't have that big bold flavor with a thin beer finish because it's out of balance. It's just an extension of the IPA craze and I suspect it will soon be gone.

But if balance is really a ratio, then you can make it lighter and keep the same balance by cutting back on bitterness proportionally. You can get down to 4 or 5% without going "thin" by Increasing the mash temp and using body enhancing adjuncts. Its going to feel lighter, but thats not a flaw, its the whole purpose.

I wish that every hoppy beer didn't have to be called an IPA.

And there's already a separate style that pretty much covers what a session IPA is trying to be, it's called an Ordinary Bitter.

Now for British beer lovers, like me, you'll generally be using UK ingredients. But you don't have to. You can use 2-row and American hops and it's still an Ordinary Bitter.

I like IPAs, I just wish every hoppy beer didn't have to be called some sort of IPA. I feel like just when BMC isn't the only kind of beer out there we're all painting ourselves into a corner calling everything a damn IPA.

An ordinary bitter is nothing at all like an session merican ipa. Different hop profile, different yeast profile, different color, different balance, etc.

Just try or brew braufessors NE style IPA. I've had a couple of his via trade and their solid. Taste much bigger than a 5% beer and that's session to me, it can be done but yes balance is key.

ive had a bunch and have been a bit disappointed by almost all of them. Easy Jack was nice.
The best light hoppy ale ive had is Cigar City Invasion. it blows all the session ipas out of the water. stones go to i thought was terrible, bitter, but lacked flavor hops. maybe i got an old bottle.
i havent had carton boat beer yet tho. heard its legit. next trip home to NJ/PA ill seek it out

Back