There is a dead fly in my airlock...!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dabba

Reaction score
He sure as hell wasnt there a week ago when I left, and he's too big to have fit through the holes in the top. Solution is starsan... thoughts on how he got in there? Seems really odd.

Beer looks fine by the way, started bubbling a bit again when I disturbed it but it has another 2 weeks to go before bottling.

I assume it's a 3 piece air lock?

depending on the nature of your brewing conditions, it could have been hiding in the stem of the airlock (especially the part of the air lock covered by the bung).

Are you popping off the bung for any reasons? taking samples, etc? perhaps in a moment when you turned your head it flew into your carboy and crawled up into the airlock?

I mean, that's all I can figure out. Unless it was a baby, fit into the top holes, and then grew lol doubt it but I mean, yeah your situation is weird.

is it a fruit fly or a house fly?

airlock.gif

That's the type of airlock I have. Havent touched it since brew day, and I'm neurotic and check how the yeast buddies are doing almost daily except for when I was gone a week. He looks like a fruit fly, hes definitely bigger than the holes in the cap by 5 fold. I'm pretty sure he didnt come from the fermenter as its already been sitting for 2-3 weeks sealed, just wondering how he got in from the outside!

Ill post a photo up later. I'm not worried about the beer, its just an amusing puzzle

I always get fruit flies through those airlock caps. they're always dead, by the time i see them. Always a good idea to have sanitizer in your airlock.

airlock.gif

That's the type of airlock I have. Havent touched it since brew day, and I'm neurotic and check how the yeast buddies are doing almost daily except for when I was gone a week. He looks like a fruit fly, hes definitely bigger than the holes in the cap by 5 fold. I'm pretty sure he didnt come from the fermenter as its already been sitting for 2-3 weeks sealed, just wondering how he got in from the outside!

Ill post a photo up later. I'm not worried about the beer, its just an amusing puzzle

LOL, kinda like the "Ship In The Bottle" mystery. I still wonder how they do that :D

Back