the unthinkable..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kplum

Reaction score
Hey guys.. Well Had a buddy over to brew a pumpkin ale.. And I asked him to grab the yeast.. well.. He grabbed and opened it and brought me the package with the activator in it.. Where is the yeast? "ohh, was that stuff in the pack with this package?" uum.. yeah.. He had poured about 90% of the yeast down the drain and brought me the activator.. So I sprayed the package of yeast with sanitation.. and poured the remaing yeast (which wasnt much at all) in the wort, then sprayed the activator package and dumped it in.. Looks like I will have to repitch yeast.. I hate it when that happens.. I cant get to the beer store until wenesday.. I hope that this is not a problem..

Bummer. Sometimes it pays to educate your friends a bit before they lend you a hand.

Not a bad idea to keep a couple packs of dry yeast around for just such an occasion as well.

Waiting until Wed. to pitch another yeast, after this one, is probably a stretch, but I am learning that it almost takes effort to really screw up a brew.

yeah.. I guess I could make a trip on Monday.. I am so upset.. and hope that it will be okay..

I wonder if Walmart has brewers yeast.. Hhmm.. may check that out..

i highly doubt it.

you said there was some yeast in there, tho, right? it may get started. if there's a bunch of oxygen in there, they will multiply and start to work.

there is a whole lot of activator. and a tiny bit of yeast.. I hope it works.. haha..

Get the yeast in there as soon as you can and keep your friend at his house any time you brew. Help like that you don't need. :\

It will work...eventually...it will be fine until you get the other yeast but it might already be going. Probably not though but crazier things have happened.

ahh.. beer store is closed on monday.. So Wednesday it will have to be.. :crosses Fingers:

I wonder if Walmart has brewers yeast.. Hhmm.. may check that out..

Just in case you were thinking of those tablets....Brewers yeast from a pharmacy will not ferment your beer. The poor little yeasties have been killed....Brutally murdered by a bunch of capitalist pigs striving to wrench cash from tree hugging hippies overdosing on organic materials in their search for everlasting health. Bastards!!! ....But yeah, those yeasties are dead. :(

you should have...at least so he doesn't do it AGAIN! ;)

No kidding.. I think he felt pretty bad.. My big concern is that get enough yeast in my secondary, but.. If they multiply like a banshee I will be ok.. I am just trying to find out on the net whether or not I can repitch.. I am sure or i hope that this scenario has happened before.. I havent heard of anyone with this problem.. Its just going to be a 4 day waiting game..

I think it would be similar to someone pitching at a higher temp? How many yeast cells would die after that..

I dont think it will be a problem.. It just sucks that it has happened.

I have faith in our single-celled saviors. So I would take a dollars worth of action on that the yeasties will be rocking by noon on Monday. Is anyone betting on the other side.

Still, I think I would have just rinsed the inside of the pouch with clean water and poured it into the wort. The use of extra sanitizer may have killed more yeasties than unwanted bugs.

Make sure to get the same strain.

This begs the question, why not start a small starter and step-up under those circumstances?

I would be so, so pissed if someone did that to me. Accidents are accidents, and I understand that -- but still infuriating. Is he footing the bill for the new activator?

I dont have any other Yeasties in other bottles.. Good idea though.. There is still no activity in the primary as of now.. I hope by tomorrow there is some action..

I dont believe it.... I am getting activity now.. bubbling a few bubbles every 45sec.. I wish my freakin brew store was open.. Depending how active she gets will determine if I repitch on wednesday.. turning up the temp from 66 to about 72 to see if I get any more activity.

If the yeast have started fermenting then you are doing good! I wouldn't turn the temp up that high since if you have it at 72 ambient the beer could be as much as 10 degrees higher.

I dont believe it.... I am getting activity now.. bubbling a few bubbles every 45sec.. I wish my freakin brew store was open.. Depending how active she gets will determine if I repitch on wednesday.. turning up the temp from 66 to about 72 to see if I get any more activity.

told ya :D

repitch anyway...she can use more yeasties.

thats freakin weird.. bubbling every 5 secs like a champ.. I guess I will repitch then on Wed (kinda afraid to disturb it now).. I must have pitched at the right temp then.. haha.. how little it was..

thats freakin weird.. bubbling every 5 secs like a champ.. I guess I will repitch then on Wed (kinda afraid to disturb it now).. I must have pitched at the right temp then.. haha.. how little it was..

I wouldn't bother repitching. Really no need at this point. By the time you get your yeast and repitch, fermentation will be over.

Defiantly wouldnt repitch now. Bubbling every 5 seconds you have a full blown fermentation going on. By Wednesday fermentation will be close enough to done repitching would be laughable. Now everyone can pay up, I told you so.

Defiantly wouldnt repitch now. Bubbling every 5 seconds you have a full blown fermentation going on. By Wednesday fermentation will be close enough to done repitching would be laughable. Now everyone can pay up, I told you so.

Its just amazing how little yeast I used to get a full fermentation going.. I guess I should call my buddy and tell him he got off the hook.. Nah.. I am going to mess with him until I get the beer conditioned in the bottling stage and tell him if the beer taste bad or its infected, or anything at all may go wrong.. its all his fault because of the yeast.. See how much he sweats.. Do you think when he tries it he will say that it tastes bad? Even if it does taste bad.. haha

Back