The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It annoys me when people disregard serving information. I'm standing right there telling you not to drink it out of the bottle...

Personally, I dislike it when people try and force their preferred serving suggestions on the beer I'm trying to enjoy. Rather have a warm, flat BMC in a friendly environment than a 120min IPA while enduring a lecture.

Sounds like you should bottle into 750ml champagne bottles. People already expect to pour those into glasses so the idea is already primed in their minds.:mug:

JoeyChopps said:
+1 ur a better person than I. I would have belittled the wholey hell out of her to make her feel an inch talk if she took credit for my brew

Yeah I was considering talking to her about what she was using for base malts or yeast but had to let it go. A. Because it looked like my beer was working... Hard. And B. it was more fun to laugh about it with friends than start trouble.

Is there any chance she was trying to make some sort of joke and just failing miserably? I'm just trying to figure out what would motivate someone to take credit for someone else's beer....?
Yeah I was considering talking to her about what she was using for base malts or yeast but had to let it go. A. Because it looked like my beer was working... Hard. And B. it was more fun to laugh about it with friends than start trouble.

Maybe she was trying (poorly) to hit on you?? :drunk:

beardley said:
Okay. Bad choice of words. Fewer than I expected. Maybe this is just because I make bonehead comments about my own beer all the time.

haha nah just ripping on you

I had one recently that was sort of a mixed bag...

I was at a party, and I had just poured my wife and I each a glass from a bomber of my robust porter. Had a little left over in the bomber when someone asked if she could try it. I was more than happy to share, when she then said "I don't really like beer." Immediately I started to wonder why the heck this person would want to waste my beer, when I could possibly share it with someone who DID like beer, and then they shared "but I do like dark ales." OK, we're at a party, I'm not going to go into beer geek mode, I just left the comment alone and handed her the sample.

Here's where the mixed bag comes in. After the dumb comment, she proceeds to taste the beer. Now, she had been drinking a red wine all evening. She tastes the porter, and her eyes get really big. She polished off what was left of my bomber, and kept pointing out that my porter was much better than her wine was.

I was quite pleased.

Suddenly I want to try your porter.
I had one recently that was sort of a mixed bag...

I was at a party, and I had just poured my wife and I each a glass from a bomber of my robust porter. Had a little left over in the bomber when someone asked if she could try it. I was more than happy to share, when she then said "I don't really like beer." Immediately I started to wonder why the heck this person would want to waste my beer, when I could possibly share it with someone who DID like beer, and then they shared "but I do like dark ales." OK, we're at a party, I'm not going to go into beer geek mode, I just left the comment alone and handed her the sample.

Here's where the mixed bag comes in. After the dumb comment, she proceeds to taste the beer. Now, she had been drinking a red wine all evening. She tastes the porter, and her eyes get really big. She polished off what was left of my bomber, and kept pointing out that my porter was much better than her wine was.

I was quite pleased.

Had my stout at a party and lots of people were drinking it. Went up to a lady with a bottle in her hand, I asked her what she thought. She said "yeah, I just brewed this one up" I just smiled and walked away.
maybe she just accidentally pooped in her pants- brewed up some diarrhea in her shorts- did you smell her?

JonM said:
Or maybe she was a wise-ass and poking a little fun at you?

Maybe. I knew she was pretty hammered going into the conversation. I wasn't expecting that turn out however. SWMBO was right next to me so I don't think she was hitting on me at all. Even if she was she already struck out by saying she brewed up my beer.

I mean maybe her saying "I brewed this myself" was some mean-girl type wiseassery directed to the actual brewer who says "I brewed this myself."

I had a good one happen today when I went to the liquor store to get some new beer to try (obviously not my beer, but too good not to share). The lady at the counter was trying to be helpful while I was looking at a 6 pack of stout, and said "yeah that is a really dark lager from France or something" (it was Guiness)! I grabbed the 6 pack and politely thanked her for her help. It was all I could do not to fall over laughing when she said that. Some people need a different profession, because this lady was clueless.

mugen112 said:
You checked to make sure this stuff can't kill us right?

Been hearing this one a lot haha. I think it's time to make a "This Might Kill You Dunkel"

I'm a hop head... Made a pretty serious IIPA... Friend: wow that is really good, Is it a Hefeweizein? Do you have any lemons?..

GySgtLynn said:
I'm a hop head... Made a pretty serious IIPA... Friend: wow that is really good, Is it a Hefeweizein? Do you have any lemons?..

Hahaha... sounds like he was insulting your girly beer.

My favorite... I handed a Bourbon V. Porter to a Coors guy and his responce was "Is this one of those new sour beers i keep hearing about?"

Just remembered another one. When I tell my wife I'm brewing, then after a long period to cleaning everything, then mashing...when the wort has been boiling for a while my wife will come in and wrinkle her nose and say "what's that smell?"

Sometimes I just come up with a smartass response like "Pancakes. It's pancakes. I just thought, you know right in the middle of brewing my beer, I'm going to stop and make some pancakes."

I can't wait until I get my burner so I can brew outside...

i have to say that's kind of funny because through some odd coincidence my brother ALWAYS makes pancakes during a brew...

I just got one of those tonight. "I'm brewing a saison on Sunday." "Oh, hey, I want some! Can you bring a bottle to work Monday?"

Yeah, girl, I wish.

whenever I invite a friend who hasn't brewed to come brew with me:
"Is this going to be ready tonight?"

There is a difference between stupid and ignorant, that was ignorant... in other words, uneducated regarding the situation. I may get tired of explaining stuff like that, but I don't really consider it a stupid comment... unless it happens again after I have already explained! :D

wailingguitar said:
There is a difference between stupid and ignorant, that was ignorant... in other words, uneducated regarding the situation. I may get tired of explaining stuff like that, but I don't really consider it a stupid comment... unless it happens again after I have already explained! :D

True... I have a couple of brewing trainees, and I'm constantly amazed at how little they know about brewing. But then again, how would they? I know approximately 1 million times more about brewing now than I did before I was a brewer.

Kind of how on "Worst Cooks in America" (love that show) Bobby flay was making a sauce with a cinamon stick. "Wouldn't the cinamon melt?" asked one contestant. "Gosh, I can really take nothing for granted here..."

Not quite stupid, but figured I would share it here, kind of funny actually. Went to a friends kids birthday party today and haven't seen those folks in quite a while. Last time I saw them I brought a bigger IPA with me and several tasted it. Some liked it, some hated it. Today I brought my steam beer with me, and my buddies wife wanted to try it. She took her first sip, eyes got big and she says "wow, this is good! You're getting better!" *face palm* Not sure if she thought it was the same type of beer or what. Didn't bother to ask.

I love the comment that anything that's not a BMC is 'stout'. As in,"Your beers are a little too stout for me."

One of my other favorites is...

me: "Want a homebrew?"
them: "Does your beer have that 'homebrew' taste?"
me: "I don't know, what's a 'homebrew' taste?
them: "I don't know, I've just had other homemade beer and could tell that it was homemade."
me: "GTFO"

Homebrew. My neighbor asked where did you buy this beer it's good. Damn right it's good it's homebrew. what's homebrew he asked? And he says he know beer. Right.

Had a few people tell me they liked my Centennial wheat last night. One person commented that it tasted like champagne and my brother in law said it was like bud light.

SwampassJ said:
Had a few people tell me they liked my Centennial wheat last night. One person commented that it tasted like champagne and my brother in law said it was like bud light.

I love that. Everyone compares things that don't even make sense.

My grampa compared my porter to guinness, and SWMBO's grampa compared my bombshell blonde clone to shiner bock.

:confused:

I love that. Everyone compares things that don't even make sense.

My grampa compared my porter to guinness, and SWMBO's grampa compared my bombshell blonde clone to shiner bock.

:confused:

Comparing a porter to Guinness is totally understandable from someone who is unfamiliar with porter.

I have never had Bombshell Blonde, so I can't be specific, I assume it's a golden color... well, if it is a slightly stronger beer... bigger in body than Budweiser... which it undoubtedly is... someone who is uninitiated would compare it to what they know.

It's about education and realm of experience.

Before I knew anything about beer, I compared St. Sixtus to Mackeson because they were both black... a Weizen to a Pilsner because they were both golden. Seems silly now, but I was working within my experience. You can't expect someone to know what they haven't learned... Now, if you teach them and they STILL say stuff like that, well... that would be stupid :D

wailingguitar said:
Comparing a porter to Guinness is totally understandable from someone who is unfamiliar with porter.

I have never had Bombshell Blonde, so I can't be specific, I assume it's a golden color... well, if it is a slightly stronger beer... bigger in body than Budweiser... which it undoubtedly is... someone who is uninitiated would compare it to what they know.

It's about education and realm of experience.

Before I knew anything about beer, I compared St. Sixtus to Mackeson because they were both black... a Weizen to a Pilsner because they were both golden. Seems silly now, but I was working within my experience. You can't expect someone to know what they haven't learned... Now, if you teach them and they STILL say stuff like that, well... that would be stupid :D

The one that got me was the blonde to shiner comparison. They're not the same style, flavor, etc, and on top of that they're not anywhere close to being the same color. Lol.

The one that got me was the blonde to shiner comparison. They're not the same style, flavor, etc, and on top of that they're not anywhere close to being the same color. Lol.

But to a BMC drinker, they would be more alike than unlike since they both have much more body and flavor than BMC... I know where you're coming from, but without the person being educated, it doesn't surprise me in the least

I made an american strong ale and let some girl taste it, she like it and SWORE she tasted raspberries in it (it didn't have any fruit).

ericd said:
I made an american strong ale and let some girl taste it, she like it and SWORE she tasted raspberries in it (it didn't have any fruit).

Just because you didn't add fruit, doesn't mean the yeast didn't throw some fruity flavors into the mix. Isn't that one of the key differences between ales and lagers?

Latest posts

Back