The Sleep Mead - MTS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxTheSpy

Reaction score
Ive been doing a little bit of research and I was curious if anyone ever used herbs in brewing mead before. I was wanting to incorporate an herb that promotes deep sleep such as Valerian or poppy, and an herb that makes you dream such as Silene undulata though I dont know how effective it would be.

a little more research would need to be done. let me know your opinion. Alcohol reduces the REM sleep mode, the more you drink the more its reduced. though Im not sure at what stage of sleep the Silene undulata would kick in. or even if the alcohol and valerian would counteract eachother.

Like I said let me know what your thoughts are and if Im crazy or not.

I've used chamomile sleepy time tea (which also had lemongrass, orange peel, ... forget the rest) in an orange JAOM type mead that was one of the better meads I've made. Flavours blended well. Didn't notice an especially good (nor poor though!) sleep but... Haven't had it more than a couple times.
As far as the alcohol's "competition factor" I would think that any sleep aiding herbs would be effectual when drinking in moderation. Depending on the concentration level in the mead..
Getting all tanked up would probably lead to a rough sleep regardless.. Alcohol is a potent drug in contrast to many herbal ones. Just my 2 cents. Not basing that on anything other personal observation.

Isn't it generally recommended to not mix sleeping meds with alchohol? or am I thinking of something else?

Isn't it generally recommended to not mix sleeping meds with alchohol? or am I thinking of something else?

As a pharmacy tech I can confirm that alcohol and sleeping meds are in fact a bad combo, Herbal remedies however are another bag entirely. ( There are multiple arguments to be made and fights to be had on the topic of Medicine vs Herbal remedies. Im not going there ) Some could be ok with booze some might be bad you really have to do some reading on the individual ingredients.

My two cents would be to stick to a hydromel if your going to make a "sleepy time" mead. Your liver is going to convert the alcohol into sugar and give you a burst of energy. This is why night caps generally don't work. The higher the ABV the more sugar that is going to be released into your blood stream.

As a pharmacy tech I can confirm that alcohol and sleeping meds are in fact a bad combo, Herbal remedies however are another bag entirely. ( There are multiple arguments to be made and fights to be had on the topic of Medicine vs Herbal remedies. Im not going there ) Some could be ok with booze some might be bad you really have to do some reading on the individual ingredients.

If it was safe, it would make me think the herbs would have to have no active chemicals or too low of a dose for any effect.

My two cents would be to stick to a hydromel if your going to make a "sleepy time" mead. Your liver is going to convert the alcohol into sugar and give you a burst of energy. This is why night caps generally don't work. The higher the ABV the more sugar that is going to be released into your blood stream.

Well the goal would be to have a drink that would have herbs in it to promote activity of the part of your brain that causes you to dream and another herb to help you sleep.

Well the goal would be to have a drink that would have herbs in it to promote activity of the part of your brain that causes you to dream and another herb to help you sleep.

Gonna call it "Nightmare Mead"?

Was going to call it The Awakening. Not only because I love not only how far from the truth it would be but also because you can never truly see without closing your eyes

Gonna call it "Nightmare Mead"?

Was going to call it The Awakening. Not only because I love not only how far from the truth it would be but also because you can never truly see without closing your eyes

Back