The San Diego area thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All! Some of you may recognize/know me from the early days of Talk Beer...I'm making my first post after a 6.5 year hiatus! I used to trade beer very regularly a while ago but stopped as the beer trading scene was getting out of control, and doesn't seem to have gotten any better, haha.

I just received my case/4 bottles of Pliny the Younger today and I have 1 bottle I am saving for trading to another San Diego resident who wasn't able to get a case. Trading seems like a giant pain in the ass these days so I don't have any particular beer(s) I'm looking for. I don't care about price, hype, bottle counts, grey market values, etc...I just want to trade good beer for good beer. So make an offer and let's not make this complicated...from one San Diegan to another. Cheers!
You gotta appreciate a gesture like this. People want crazy value for their PTY bottles. I commend you. If I were in SD instead of LA I’d be making you an offer. Cheers. I hope you make someone’s day.

So apparently BAVSS is for sale to public today via the Onzr app w/ Alesmith.

I guess they only posted it to their tastingroom IG account, which isn't public and is age-gated. Ah well.

I still bought a couple bottles to find out.
33DBCEBB-243D-4A42-BC79-40B3E4358C61.jpg

So apparently BAVSS is for sale to public today via the Onzr app w/ Alesmith.

I guess they only posted it to their tastingroom IG account, which isn't public and is age-gated. Ah well.
I didn’t read this closely yesterday. I looked at their store through the main site and nada. So they have a new app to sell beer through?? What a pain

Yeah, it seems quite a few breweries are switching to using Onzr. NPBC also used them in December last year for their 2 bottles of Macaroons and the 2020 is over. I was skeptical about it at the beginning, but the phone app has grown on me. Still stupid that yet another app is being used just so I can buy a bottle of liquid enjoyment, but...meh....

100% worth it. In a world full of beetus stouts, this BAVSS hit the spot I didn't know I needed.
oh I’m sure I need some BAVSS. I’m just confused why AleSmith would use yet a different method of selling their beer. Before leaving CA I did a order through their site and it was super easy.

Yeah, it seems quite a few breweries are switching to using Onzr. NPBC also used them in December last year for their 2 bottles of Macaroons and the 2020 is over. I was skeptical about it at the beginning, but the phone app has grown on me. Still stupid that yet another app is being used just so I can buy a bottle of liquid enjoyment, but...meh....

NPBC decision to use lottery system embedded in the app got me to download it. Much better than first come first serve or day of releases with long lines and no guarantee of bottles (which I avoid like the plague). I wish more breweries would do the same ... and not allow proxies (which is a completely different topic).

A useful government webpage!?!?!? zomg!

sandiego.gov/business-is-brewing

Only like, years behind the Reader, but hey...it's functional.

Frisco is a dry town :oops: Thanks to Dave I found live oak at a store close to downtown but all they get is hefe. There may be need to go to Austin in the next month or so fingers crossed.

Anyone check out Burgeon in Little Italy yet?
Went yesterday – nice little spot. I don’t end up in Little Italy very often but I’ll definitely add it to the rotation when I do make it down there (they had more than a few non-hazies!). Got to talk with stawn for a bit, and Nunes was also working and mentioned he’s enjoyed being able to come up with beer-food pairings. I don’t know if this was particular to yesterday, but the wind was whipping up some serious vortexes in the front sidewalk/patio area (I was sitting inside though).

Fresh keg of 2021 BAVSS tapped at Alesmith. They kicked the current when I asked for a couple pours but the beertender brought out a fresh keg.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck, it's as close to 2014 as one can get.

Fresh keg of 2021 BAVSS tapped at Alesmith. They kicked the current when I asked for a couple pours but the beertender brought out a fresh keg.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck, it's as close to 2014 as one can get.
Whaaat they changed a keg just for you? Jkjk I definitely gotta get over there and try that; it’s an all timer for sure.

Hi. I'm visiting my brother for a couple days in El Cajón. He doesn't drink beer. Flying into SD obviously. Any locals want to tell me where I can stock up on decent, fresh, non-hazy, hoppy beer on the way to this desert town I know nothing about?

Hi. I'm visiting my brother for a couple days in El Cajón. He doesn't drink beer. Flying into SD obviously. Any locals want to tell me where I can stock up on decent, fresh, non-hazy, hoppy beer on the way to this desert town I know nothing about?

Either stop off at NorthParkBeerCo, or else swing into BineNVine.

Whats your definition of "on the way" and where in El Cajon? The city is kinda expansive and any recs could be 30+ mins away.

That being said, most liquor stores you'll stop at will have a decent selection of local hoppy beers.

Try El Cajon Wine & Spirits, which usually carries Burning Beard, North Park, and other goodies.

Gotcha, thanks guys. Any particular local SD breweries not on my radar churning out the kinda goodness I can expect from my local go-to's: Altamont, GhostTown, Faction? I've been out of the hunt for years and haven't been down there since hitting Alpine, Societe, etc back in 2014 or so.

Back