The San Diego area thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I expected the pack itself to be significantly more, but Cantillon doesn't play that secondary game and it is roughly a tad cheaper than what I would pay to drink the same 6 bottles onsite. Etre will likely do a 20ish euro proxy/pickup and then shipping will prolly be around 40 euro since it will just be under weight enough for a small box.

Although will likely combine shipping another set with a buddy since that would save each of us about 10euro.
I'm surprised shipping is that cheap. It costs more for me to ship a box from here to SD

I'm surprised shipping is that cheap. It costs more for me to ship a box from here to SD
I think he’s wrong about the shipping fwiw, unless he’s talking about splitting the costs.

The Brabantiae 6pk was just above the 10kg limit for Etre’s minimum shipping rate. The 20kg box is 81 euros for shipping (at least to the east coast). I’m guessing it comes closer to $250 for the 6 bottles, before adding other bottles to fill the 20kg box.

****, I think you're right. The 3F 6pk falls right under the 10kg limit but Cantillon bottles are a bit thicker/heavier and might tip it right over.

Edit: But I can say the 25kg box is 81euros to the west coast as well.

****, I think you're right. The 3F 6pk falls right under the 10kg limit but Cantillon bottles are a bit thicker/heavier and might tip it right over.

Edit: But I can say the 25kg box is 81euros to the west coast as well.
Even if it was under 10kg, I'd probably still fill one of the larger boxes with some inexpensive bottles to bring that shipping cost/bottle down.

And another "****", it looks like the Brabantiae 6pk proxy fee was 30e, not 20e.

Speaking of #talkcoffee what's the latest go to espresso blend around? Finally rebuilt my machine and looking to try something new.

Exactly! Just can't decide how serious i want to take it. Homebrew does a good enough job keeping my free time busy.

Exactly! Just can't decide how serious i want to take it. Homebrew does a good enough job keeping my free time busy.
I've actually been roasting coffee far more than brewing. But I went with a larger investment in equipment so I figure I better use it. I bought this, but it was $450 at the time and I had some gift cards to use: (Link to media)

I've actually been roasting coffee far more than brewing. But I went with a larger investment in equipment so I figure I better use it. I bought this, but it was $450 at the time and I had some gift cards to use: (Link to media)

Don’t want to roast just yet, but have recently gotten a Breville Barista Pro and have been struggling a bit, mostly on frothing at right level (to do any latte art) but also noticed some beans I’ve used were probably too light a roast. Even with a good timing (close to 30s) for pulling the shot, still comes out acidic (so not sure I’m actually underextracting). I’d love to find a gold standard in SD that is a off the shelf roast to train myself.

Last edited:
Don’t want to roast just yet, but have recently gotten a Breville Barista Pro and have been struggling a bit, mostly on frothing at right level (to do any latte art) but also noticed some beans I’ve used were probably too light a roast. Even with a good timing (close to 30s) for pulling the shot, still comes out acidic (so not sure I’m actually underextracting). I’d love to find a gold standard in SD that is a off the shelf roast to train myself.
I'm only using a cheap drip machine and doing Chemix pour overs so I can't help you there.

Figured I would lessen the beer memberships for 2021, so I put Lost Abbey on the chopping block. So of course they send out an email today about renewals and say that next year will see the return of CCK.

So close to being out and I got suckered back in.....

Figured I would lessen the beer memberships for 2021, so I put Lost Abbey on the chopping block. So of course they send out an email today about renewals and say that next year will see the return of CCK.

So close to being out and I got suckered back in.....
Ditto.

Cool, there's a facist drumpf truck parade downtown right now, on the freeway. That garbage better be finished by the time I get off of work.

A27D03A5-C338-479E-8F1E-26E45B2F9FA5.jpeg

Got my new espresso grinder today! Anyone want to buy a breville smart grinder pro before I list on eBay?

I posted this on the North Park thread on BA:

Big ups to NPBC. I ordered half a case Shipped to my home last week. They mistakenly put a 4 pack of Bird Park instead of Disciples of Fu. I reached out to see if we could correct the mistake. They responded within a few hours apologizing for the mistake and said they would ship a 4 pack of Disciples ASAP. A day later they emailed again saying they were going to hold off on shipping so that we don’t risk the beer getting caught up in a warehouse over the weekend. For the delay, they offered to throw in an additional 4 pack of my choice. To top it off, they added a sticker pack in the box. Needless to say, I’m a happy customer. Looking forward to drinking all these beers and will gladly place another order when I’m all done with this one.

I know you guys don’t need any convincing of how great NPBC is but I definitely wanted to give them a little extra praise.

I posted this on the North Park thread on BA:

Big ups to NPBC. I ordered half a case Shipped to my home last week. They mistakenly put a 4 pack of Bird Park instead of Disciples of Fu. I reached out to see if we could correct the mistake. They responded within a few hours apologizing for the mistake and said they would ship a 4 pack of Disciples ASAP. A day later they emailed again saying they were going to hold off on shipping so that we don’t risk the beer getting caught up in a warehouse over the weekend. For the delay, they offered to throw in an additional 4 pack of my choice. To top it off, they added a sticker pack in the box. Needless to say, I’m a happy customer. Looking forward to drinking all these beers and will gladly place another order when I’m all done with this one.

I know you guys don’t need any convincing of how great NPBC is but I definitely wanted to give them a little extra praise.

Just got a case delivered in orange county. 'Merica!

Definitely a bummer. Different experience since the remodel, but things changed during covid. It was one of my regular takeout spots over the past few months, but I can’t imagine trying to staying afloat in today’s environment especially with any potential debt obligations still hanging from the remodel (no idea if that’s the case or not, just thinking of what makes the situation worse). Good reminder to keep supporting the places you want to see survive this hellscape as much as possible

The last batch was not a great version of Great (but is drinking better last time I had it). My guess is that it won't suck though.

Back