Tropical storm Hilary - be safe, all!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'm in the path. Not really worried. I view it as similar to when I lived in Atlanta in 2005 (for Katrina). Yeah, we got some seriously rough weather, but the fact that it had spent a couple hundred miles losing steam over land took the real sting out of it by the time it hit us.

I don't think the winds are going to be too bad regarding property damage, although it could cause power outages. But that much rain is going to cause some problems in low-lying areas. I have the luxury of living where I have zero risk of flooding. That's something we are going to have--we don't have any way to deal with that much water in a short time frame. I recall a storm here around 2010-11 where I had to go to one of our offices that was in more of a hilly area, and there were a LOT of people who got their cars stuck in water in low-lying areas. I was alright as I had a truck at the time, but if not, I probably wouldn't have been able to find a good route back to my house. And this is going to be MUCH bigger than that. If my house was in a valley of any sort, I'd be really worried.

I left L.A. many years ago, but friends and family certainly live in vulnerable areas. I've read some horrifying (albeit fictional) accounts of what the place might look like in a serious rain event.

Hope everyone's family/friends did ok.

It was pretty benign here. Had a couple spurts of heavy rain in the afternoon, but no real wind. In mid-evening had another heavy spurt of rain and the wind kicked up, but nothing here that I'd call dangerous or particularly problematic. As mentioned I'm not in a low-lying area so I had no flooding or risk thereof, but I don't know whether that was true of others even in other areas of my own town at this point.

But there are a lot of local variances in this sort of thing, so hoping your folks also got through unscathed.

You jest, but I had to rebuild this very morning!

I mean, I put the patio cushions back out on the patio set, and re-hung the American flag I took down worried the wind would mess it up. But it took, like, 10 minutes! That's 10 minutes I'm not getting back! 😭

Back