The San Diego area thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chasing peppermint bark speedway with malort may be the best/worst idea I've had in the past few months. 10/10..would not recommend.
So far I've only opened the raspberry. My big idea is trying a little of one then blending in one of the BASS bottles I picked up as well.

Awesome there's always that one variant. Lol

I ended up opening a coffee cake and a BASS blending was a nice touch to finish them off.

Side note not offering BA year round in this smaller format feels like a miss to me. That bottle was on point!

Lost Cause anniversary 6btl mead set. Presale for members today, I believe it goes on sale for public tomorrow.

Here are the meads included in the new six bottle set:

"The Connoisseur" Traditional carrot blossom mead. Aged in a combination of Oloroso sherry & maple syrup casks for 8 months. 14% abv 750ml bottle
"Luminations" Raspberry & blackberry mead. Aged in Rum barrels for 9 months. 14% abv 375ml bottle
"Old Timer" Mead with orange blossom honey, caramelized honey and tart cherries. Aged in a combination of orange bitters barrels, spiced cherry bitters barrels and bourbon barrels for 16 months. 12% abv 375ml bottle
"Dial "M" For Murderousness" Cherry, blackberry, raspberry mead with grape brandy, almonds and caramelized honey. Aged for 9 months in a bourbon barrel. 15.5% abv 375ml bottle
"Tasty Waves" Pineapple, Riesling grape mead with habanero & Aji chili peppers. Aged in a Mezcal barrel for 6 months. 14% abv 375ml bottle
"BA Art of The Peel" Mead with bananas, cacao nibs, coffee & vanilla. Aged in maple syrup barrels (that previously held rum) for 12 months. 13% abv 375ml bottle

Lost Cause anniversary 6btl mead set. Presale for members today, I believe it goes on sale for public tomorrow.

"The Connoisseur" Traditional carrot blossom mead. Aged in a combination of Oloroso sherry & maple syrup casks for 8 months. 14% abv 750ml bottle
"Luminations" Raspberry & blackberry mead. Aged in Rum barrels for 9 months. 14% abv 375ml bottle
"Old Timer" Mead with orange blossom honey, caramelized honey and tart cherries. Aged in a combination of orange bitters barrels, spiced cherry bitters barrels and bourbon barrels for 16 months. 12% abv 375ml bottle
"Dial "M" For Murderousness" Cherry, blackberry, raspberry mead with grape brandy, almonds and caramelized honey. Aged for 9 months in a bourbon barrel. 15.5% abv 375ml bottle
"Tasty Waves" Pineapple, Riesling grape mead with habanero & Aji chili peppers. Aged in a Mezcal barrel for 6 months. 14% abv 375ml bottle
"BA Art of The Peel" Mead with bananas, cacao nibs, coffee & vanilla. Aged in maple syrup barrels (that previously held rum) for 12 months. 13% abv 375ml bottle
So awesome to have a world class meadery in town.

you had me until mezcal barrel
gross

Total including shipping for the Cantillon 6btl Autumn pack (yes, Etre finally picked up on friday and then emailed me this morning) was 266.40USD.

This included the 6btl pack, proxy fee, shipping, and dhl express shipping. I split the shipping and dhl express with a buddy by combining our packs into a single shipment. This seems to have saved us about 70 USD each. Since proxy fee, shipping, dhl was 171 euro for 1 pack, and 215 euro for 2 packs.

For those that were curious...if anybody really checks this forum any more.

Total including shipping for the Cantillon 6btl Autumn pack (yes, Etre finally picked up on friday and then emailed me this morning) was 266.40USD.

This included the 6btl pack, proxy fee, shipping, and dhl express shipping. I split the shipping and dhl express with a buddy by combining our packs into a single shipment. This seems to have saved us about 70 USD each. Since proxy fee, shipping, dhl was 171 euro for 1 pack, and 215 euro for 2 packs.

For those that were curious...if anybody really checks this forum any more.
Thats not... horrible?

Pretty big jump from your original estimate. But for the bottles you ordered still seems reasonable.

Yeah, so basically $45/btl to my door. Still not great, but I'm never gonna just casually see those bottles on a shelf here in SD without a huge markup. I'm calling it an xmas present to myself.

They finally arrived at my offsite today. Wasn't too pleased with DHL tracking nor their customer service, but I am giving them a bit of a pass since the box was dropped off to bpost on the 24th and technically in the hands of dhl overseas on the 25th.

I've had two boxes sent via DHL from Etre. One got here in two days, the other in three. No complaints from me.

Oh, I didn't finish my thought before I hit post reply apparently. Yeah, it was handed off on the 25th and only held because "destination has a holiday"...then it got to OH, then apparently here to san diego, but delivery got put on hold, then the following day it triggered again as being processed in OH. I was told that the san diego scans were virtual and that it hadn't left OH yet....you know, despite the tracking saying "Arrived in San Diego". Then of course closed for the NewYears holiday.

Oh, I didn't finish my thought before I hit post reply apparently. Yeah, it was handed off on the 25th and only held because "destination has a holiday"...then it got to OH, then apparently here to san diego, but delivery got put on hold, then the following day it triggered again as being processed in OH. I was told that the san diego scans were virtual and that it hadn't left OH yet....you know, despite the tracking saying "Arrived in San Diego". Then of course closed for the NewYears holiday.
OH as in Ohio? I've had probably two dozen boxes shipped from Belgium to SD and never had one go through Ohio.

And that's weird about the fake scans. I once had UPS tracking say a box had just left Louisville AFTER it arrived in CA, as in a scan showing up late, but not one showing before it happened.

(I save screen shots of all the tracking info so I can obsessively refer to them when new boxes are en route.)

OH as in Ohio? I've had probably two dozen boxes shipped from Belgium to SD and never had one go through Ohio.

And that's weird about the fake scans. I once had UPS tracking say a box had just left Louisville AFTER it arrived in CA, as in a scan showing up late, but not one showing before it happened.

(I save screen shots of all the tracking info so I can obsessively refer to them when new boxes are en route.)

Yeah, Ohio. When doing bpost -> USPS it would either hit NY or LAX customs, but with bpost -> DHL, my boxes go through customs in Cincinnati.

This was some weird-ass tracking that they said was "Virtual Scans" in SD.

1609953842856.png

I didn't see Russian River released original recipe Blind Pig for shipping, but it's sold out. Anyone local have an extra can to sell/trade? Any feedback on it?

Hello All! Some of you may recognize/know me from the early days of Talk Beer...I'm making my first post after a 6.5 year hiatus! I used to trade beer very regularly a while ago but stopped as the beer trading scene was getting out of control, and doesn't seem to have gotten any better, haha.

I just received my case/4 bottles of Pliny the Younger today and I have 1 bottle I am saving for trading to another San Diego resident who wasn't able to get a case. Trading seems like a giant pain in the ass these days so I don't have any particular beer(s) I'm looking for. I don't care about price, hype, bottle counts, grey market values, etc...I just want to trade good beer for good beer. So make an offer and let's not make this complicated...from one San Diegan to another. Cheers!

Hello All! Some of you may recognize/know me from the early days of Talk Beer...I'm making my first post after a 6.5 year hiatus! I used to trade beer very regularly a while ago but stopped as the beer trading scene was getting out of control, and doesn't seem to have gotten any better, haha.

I just received my case/4 bottles of Pliny the Younger today and I have 1 bottle I am saving for trading to another San Diego resident who wasn't able to get a case. Trading seems like a giant pain in the ass these days so I don't have any particular beer(s) I'm looking for. I don't care about price, hype, bottle counts, grey market values, etc...I just want to trade good beer for good beer. So make an offer and let's not make this complicated...from one San Diegan to another. Cheers!
Sadly this place is dead now.

Sadly this place is dead now.

Just like WCIPA...deadAF.

But I did see the trade and was trying to figure out what to offer to get a bottle. It's sad, but I just don't want to break my streak of having PtY due to completely failing at internetting the morning of the sale.

Just like WCIPA...deadAF.

But I did see the trade and was trying to figure out what to offer to get a bottle. It's sad, but I just don't want to break my streak of having PtY due to completely failing at internetting the morning of the sale.
Breaking the streak will just allow you to not worry about it in the future. I had to do that with Enjoy By.

Back