The Misfits Of Brewing Science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fijidave12 said:
...as in Vinnie Cilurzo?!

That would be him. My old man is a master electrician. He did some work for him and Vinnie gave him some beer. The old man does not drink, so he gave them to me. Said they would have taken up to much room in his fridge.

Haha! That is amazing. The liquid gold sought after by so many "takes up too much room in his fridge". Well, if you ever have extra (can you really have extra Pliny?) I would be more than happy to take one off of your hands. :D

cabal09 said:
Sometimes it's a good thing to be from California. It's even better when your from Santa Rosa. The only thing that can make this weekend better would be for USC to beat Stanford.

Drinking that 90 min (thanks and great BTW) right now and brewin a Pliny the Bastid. You inspire me. Almost a lb of hops, using hop spider and a stainless steel wool screen on the dip tube. That's more hops than I've ever used in a 5G batch before. Hope most of the hop trub stays in the Keggle. The 90 min has a lot more body than i expected. Im mashin @ 155. How's the body on the Pliny?? Oh sorry about SC. I guess they just needed a little Luck. Cheers!!

Stevo2569 said:
Drinking that 90 min (thanks and great BTW) right now and brewin a Pliny the Bastid. You inspire me. Almost a lb of hops, using hop spider and a stainless steel wool screen on the dip tube. That's more hops than I've ever used in a 5G batch before. Hope most of the hop trub stays in the Keggle. The 90 min has a lot more body than i expected. Im mashin @ 155. How's the body on the Pliny?? Oh sorry about SC. I guess they just needed a little Luck. Cheers!!

It was a tough game, but at least we took them to 3 overtimes. As far as the Pliney I will let you know next weekend. That's when the wife and I are going to crack it open.

Yo Lambchop, nice score! Building a fermentation chamber made a huge difference in my brew quality. I modified a side-by-side fridge like in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/side-side-fermentation-chamber-build-105054/

I use a LOVE TSS2-2100 dual stage controller. The option Dave mentioned looks good too....and much cheaper! I just wired in a heater (small, $15 from Home Depot) this weekend and it's working well. It's a little work to get the settings for heating and cooling just right so you don't have constant trade-off of heating and cooling cycles. Right now I'm shooting for fermentation temp at 65 and I'm getting a temp swing from 64.8 to about 65.6, which I think is pretty good. Also, I just tape the thermostat probe to the carboy with a little insulation over the top. I've gotten better results doing this as opposed to trying to regulate the ambient temp.

Oh and another note, be sure to not let the hot wires on the controller touch the metal front of the fridge :drunk: ! I thought I burnt out the unit but thank god for the GFCI outlet!!

My Pops called the other day and asked me if I ever heard of Pliney the Elder. I told him that's like asking the Pope if he has ever heard of god. Turns out the old man is friends with the owner. Helped him out on a job. So score for me.

You suck. And, you can't spell "Pliny".

Now kicking myself for not participating in the last grain buy... Just used the last of my pale malt...

Do you have any dark specialty malts? If so, I'll swap. I'm out of Black Patent, Roasted, and Chocolate malts. I went on a stout spree.

Do you have any dark specialty malts? If so, I'll swap. I'm out of Black Patent, Roasted, and Chocolate malts. I went on a stout spree.

I think the darkest I've got is C-60. Bobby called me yesterday. Apparently he's got a couple bags leftover from the group buy, so I should be good.

On an unrelated note, anyone interested in a yeast swap? I've got some washed Wyeast 2034, WLP800, WLP802, WLP810, WLP820 and W-34/70. All lager yeasts. Some of them are nearly a year since last use, so they'll definitely need a starter.

Heard from Motleybrews brew, he and his wife have a newborn that came 4 weeks early. As somebody who has young kids I understand that he has other more important matters to take care of. He still wants his grain, but I do have a sack for Derek.

1234 said:
I do have a sack for Derek.

OK. I gave it 24 hours. Either you guys have matured greatly, no one has looked at the last post, or I can't help myself, but, I'm sure Derek will enjoy your sack.

On an unrelated note, anyone interested in a yeast swap? I've got some washed Wyeast 2034, WLP800, WLP802, WLP810, WLP820 and W-34/70. All lager yeasts. Some of them are nearly a year since last use, so they'll definitely need a starter.

I might be down for this... need to check my hop inventory to see if I'm going to get in on the group buy (In the event you will be there as well). I also have a licensing exam next Monday in Nashville, so afterwards (mid-afternoon) I will head to Rebel Brewer if you'd want to swap there. As far as yeast goes... I would only have Denny's Favorite by then if you're interested.

I might be down for this... need to check my hop inventory to see if I'm going to get in on the group buy (In the event you will be there as well). I also have a licensing exam next Monday in Nashville, so afterwards (mid-afternoon) I will head to Rebel Brewer if you'd want to swap there. As far as yeast goes... I would only have Denny's Favorite by then if you're interested.

Which strain(s) would you be interested in?

OK. I gave it 24 hours. Either you guys have matured greatly, no one has looked at the last post, or I can't help myself, but, I'm sure Derek will enjoy your sack.

What's HBT without a little Tap Room love? I should bring some APA to the next split. Then you can all enjoy his sack.

I'm also heading to Bridgestone Arena after Rebel Brewer to redeem a few Predators ticket packages if that may be closer to you?

Hops Spreadsheet will be closing soon. I am sending the spreadsheet out for a quote early next week. The 2011 Hop Crop prices will be higher according to our seller. Get what you need of the 2010 hops for the next 18 months and save big time. We will do a hop order for the 2011 Hops once our supplier has them ready.

nealf said:
I'm up in this thread.... what's going on in here.

Was up Neal. I'll be through your way to a wedding in Morrow this weekend. I used to live in Cartersville. Going to hit HopCity while I'm down. Anybody from Tn have any requests.

Does anyone live near the Boro that wouldn't mind letting me use their grain mill for a few minutes today or tomorrow morning??

Watchin the Michigan game recording. Man what a bunch a BS. Hemingway was down on his knee with a catch for a touchdown. F in crooked @ss Iowa ref MFers. SOB.

No_Party said:
I'm in Asheville for a few days if anyone has some beer requests.
See if they have any New holland pumpkin I can trade or pay. I've got some new stuff. Rogue DDG and Double Choco,90 min,founders old ale, 3 dif sweetwaters, and a bunch of others.

Kegging up 10 gallons (or almost 10) of beer today, let's hope it tastes good for our hops give away. Dirty Blonde ale and my Chocolate Cherry Dark Wheat. Really looking forward to tasting the Chocolate Cherry, just hope this lives up to the last batch.

Stevo2569 said:
Watchin the Michigan game recording. Man what a bunch a BS. Hemingway was down on his knee with a catch for a touchdown. F in crooked @ss Iowa ref MFers. SOB.

Ditto

Hops Spreadsheet closes at noon, I will be sending it over to our potential supplier for a quote. We will update it as soon as we get the quote back.

Anybody got some non-lager yeast washed? I have some Wyeast Kolsch and some White Labs California ale yeast ready to be swapped. Not sure what I am looking for, just something to add to my inventory.

I've got American,Irish, british1,and witbread ales. As well as Bavarian and German lagers. if your interested.

Dave, you have anything you would want to trade for WY1450 Denny's Fav? I've got tons of the stuff that I just washed on Friday...

Done. I might even make some starters so it's fresh for ya. Well 2nd and 3rd maybe fourth generation fresh.

Speaking of: How many generations do y'all usually push to. I've had off flavors out of the witbread after 6 before. So I don't do past that with any.

Back