The Misfits Of Brewing Science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the heads up. We went to barleys. They had a descent beer menu. Turns out the trolley picks up right out front and round trips to Neyland Stadium. So worked out pretty good. Drank before and after the game. Also picked up a growler of Smoky Mountain Brewerys Octoberfest. Not bad. Dawgs win, Michigan Win, and OH Loses. A great Saturday. Hale To The Victors!!

Glad to hear it worked out. Yeah, D-Rob looked a little rough in the 1st half with the interceptions and then the offense (as well as the defense) settled down nicely with the 4 TDs in the 2nd half. It's good to see the coaching staff able to make changes at halftime and have the players to execute. This season will be for not though if we don't beat the Suckeyes.

How did it go?
it actually went surprisingly well. I went into this brew day not really worried about the results. I was more interested in getting the processes down, and see where i had issues, and learn from it. If it turns out well, awesome.

That being said, I took extensive notes, learned a whole lot, had a few mistakes, but most importantly, i had a great time.

The good:
-Mash held temp @ 152 for the entire hour.
-Figured out my process pretty darn good
-Extracted right at 2.5 gallons (of the original 4) when i drained the first runnings
-Pitched yeast right around 68
-My efficiency was right around 74%
-2nd sparge went fine
-Got 5.5 gallons in the fermentor

The bad:
-I had a slightly stuck first sparge. No worries, just stirred it up real good, let it sit another few minutes, and vorlaufed, and all was fine
-Did a double batch sparge. Once the water got up to temp, i put it in my HLT. By the time my 2nd sparge happened, the water was a little too cool (i attribute this to the stuck sparge and the extra time i had to let it settle), so i heated up a gallon to boil, added it to my HLT, and then inadvertently put all the water in, instead of leaving a gallon. Lesson learned.
-My wort chiller ended up spraying like crazy. I tested this damn thing 3 times. no troubles on any of those times. Brought water to a boil, cooled it. 3 times. no problems. put it in the wort with 15 min left in the boil, ended the boil, turned on the water, and it spewed all over the place. my helper was inside checking some football scores, so by the time i figured out it was happening (i ran inside to for a minute) about half a gallon of water had gone into the wort. Memphis water is pretty darn good, so i'm not too worried. Sanitized a little pitcher, scooped out some of the wort. no worries. will be building a new one, or adjusting this one before my next batch. ended up switching to the other inlet, and it spewed too, but i held my hands over it and redirected the spray as best i could. a few drops got in.
-Didn't fully chill with the chiller, so when it was about 110, i took it inside, and gave it an ice bath. Got it chilled to 68ish in about 32 minutes total (wort chiller and ice bath).
-My OG was a few points off. Should have been 1.051, but according to the beersmith adjusted reading (took hydrometer reading at 101.1 and the reading was 1.048) was 1.054, again, i'm not worried.

Not having my march pump sucked ass. My back is stiff today. I don't believe I will add hesheys to the boil again. It clogged my plate chiller. A good time was had by all. I got to try Hoptoberfest by New Belgium, that is some tasty beer.

The Hoptober is nice indeed. Been on that for the last couple weeks. MB Mike has a nice Swarzbier on right now at CSB in Franklin. I highly recommend as well!!

Not having my march pump sucked ass. My back is stiff today. I don't believe I will add hesheys to the boil again. It clogged my plate chiller. A good time was had by all. I got to try Hoptoberfest by New Belgium, that is some tasty beer.

There's hope for you yet.

I imagine that the Hershey's in the chiller would kinda suck. Did the numbers get pretty close with the grain substitutions?

And I have to admit, I've never been a big fan of New Belgium but their sour collaboration with Allagash was phenomenal. So it's made me a little more willing to try their stuff. Is the Hoptoberfest available in grocery stores, or is it more likely to be found in the beer stores...?

They used to have it on tap at Crawdaddy's. I'm not suggesting it's a great beer, just surprised that Bobby was enjoying a beer with more than one hop addition. I remember it being good.

_

I tried the Hoptober at the Titans' game a few weeks ago. It sure beats paying $8 for BMC. I am surprised that "barely bitter" liked it...

PM J-Malone I think he is the one who might have mentioned something about pale ales, but I can't recall what it is.

Yeah it was a couple ounces of pale chocolate. Almost did it on EdWort's Haus Pale, but decided to wait until the second batch.

I finally got around to giving this a whirl. I added 4 ounces to the mash on an Amarillo pale ale and the hydro sample I just tasted was one of the best I've had in my 2 years of brewing.

I actually added 4oz as well to a Sorachi/Cascade pale that I made a few weeks back. Turned out really well, had a really good color to it.

This is going to be short and sweet: What the hell happened with Michigan sports team (minus MSU) this past weekend?! :mad:

D-Rob seams to choke every year at this time just like he did against MSU. Of coarse it's hard to get any rhythm going when your only in every other down( nice decision Hoke)and how about the MSU player who late hit Denard and tried to rip his helmet off in the pile then punched a Michigan player later. I can't believe Dantonnio let him keep playin. Hell Lugarant Blunt caught all kinds of **** for just a punch and Spikes got suspended for tryin to poke out Ealy's eyes in that Fl/Ga game last year. MSU played dirty and Denard's chokin and Hokes or Borges(IDK which) bad decisions cost us the game. I hope they don't follow the last three years and start suckin. :pissed

Denard looks lost in this new offensive system, he can't complete a pass. I can't stand when they put Gardner in for a play, that never works. Nothing like starting over every year.

_

Denard looks lost in this new offensive system, he can't complete a pass.

His throwing mechanics are terrible. But he is still a phenomenal athlete. At times, I feel like I am bashing him one week and then praising the next. But if the O line isn't blocking well, it's just an uphill struggle for him.

So I am looking for suggestions on temp control in a keezer to keep it warm; and have seen numerous suggestions from reptile ceramic bulbs, small ceramic heaters, to using a hair dryer or water bed heating belt, for a heat source. I keep both of the chest freezers in an uninsulated garage, and am wondering what you guys suggest.

I used to have reptiles and used those ceramic heating elements, I would trust one in a freezer. They will last you forever.

_

Would something like this work, even though it isn't ceramic?

Or just get this instead, which is ceramic?

Also is there a certain light fixture/socket that would be better to use?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used one of those mechanic shop lights in a small well pump house during an ice storm in Missouri. It kept the inside a toasty 75 degrees, we had to run it of my generator since the power was out and the electricity was off. You can also (Not a fool proof method) change out the bulbs with lower or higher wattage bulbs to control temps. Or you can hook it up to a dimmer or go crazy and hook it up to one of the digital controlers with the probe.

I have used one of those mechanic shop lights in a small well pump house during an ice storm in Missouri. It kept the inside a toasty 75 degrees, we had to run it of my generator since the power was out and the electricity was off. You can also (Not a fool proof method) change out the bulbs with lower or higher wattage bulbs to control temps. Or you can hook it up to a dimmer or go crazy and hook it up to one of the digital controlers with the probe.

I do have a temp controller, so that would work also...thanks

So I am looking for suggestions on temp control in a keezer to keep it warm; and have seen numerous suggestions from reptile ceramic bulbs, small ceramic heaters, to using a hair dryer or water bed heating belt, for a heat source. I keep both of the chest freezers in an uninsulated garage, and am wondering what you guys suggest.

I just made this and tested it out this morning. Worked great, light was on for about 1 hour to get me from 56 degrees to 68F. Tip: Put the extension cord through the little hole in the paint can before wiring it to the light socket. I always forget this.

http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/Fermentation-Can-Heater

I have e-mailed the hop farm and I will start a new thread for the fall/winter hops buy. Once I get word back from the farm I will update and either start a new hops buy or let you guys know when we will start it.

I have a price sheet and I have e-mailed it to those that I have an e-mail address for. If you didn't get an e-mail of the price sheet and would like one just send me a PM with your e-mail address.

Here is the link to the hop buy. I am using a different site than Google Docs, but you can login with a Google or Yahoo account. Click the icon below the main Register/Login box where it says "Sign in using". If you were able to view the Grain Buy, you have access to the Hop Buy. Send me an email ([email protected]) if you need access.

Sometimes it's a good thing to be from California. It's even better when your from Santa Rosa. The only thing that can make this weekend better would be for USC to beat Stanford.

image-752506151.jpg

cabal09 said:
Sometimes it's a good thing to be from California. It's even better when your from Santa Rosa. The only thing that can make this weekend better would be for USC to beat Stanford.

<--Jealous
Not of USC. Lol.

Impressive to see 2 Pliny; I've heard it's hard to find more than a couple at a time, even out in CA...at least that is what I've been told when requesting a Pliny to be brought back.

So finally scored a unit to control fermentation temps and lager. 16.7 cubic ft deep freeze. Apparently low on gas. Will not chill below 32. Would luke to start kegging as well. Looking for extra equipment and/or ideas how to best utilize!!!

image-3611930682.jpg

Fijidave12 said:
Impressive to see 2 Pliny; I've heard it's hard to find more than a couple at a time, even out in CA...at least that is what I've been told when requesting a Pliny to be brought back.

My Pops called the other day and asked me if I ever heard of Pliney the Elder. I told him that's like asking the Pope if he has ever heard of god. Turns out the old man is friends with the owner. Helped him out on a job. So score for me.

Would like to have Pliny right now, was out in Cali a few weeks ago and was unable to track one down. Now that you sort of know the owner, maybe you could get a distribution place out here in TN. Looks like they have no SE distributor yet.

My Pops called the other day and asked me if I ever heard of Pliney the Elder. I told him that's like asking the Pope if he has ever heard of god. Turns out the old man is friends with the owner. Helped him out on a job. So score for me.

...as in Vinnie Cilurzo?!

Back