The Labelnator - A Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoistBread

Reaction score
So my local home brew club (shout out to the Hollywood Hopheads) gave me this item on the condition that I review it. I apologize in advance for the potato quality pics.

https://www.labelnator.com/

HBLssZjh.jpg

wi1uVA5h.jpg

The first thing I noticed about this thing is that blade is sharp. Like razor blade sharp. I would advise caution, or maybe even a glove on the off hand given the slippery nature of wet glass bottles. Other than that, it fits nicely in your hand and the plastic does not become unwieldy when wet.

The packaging says just soak in hot water and the labels will scrape right off. So that's what I will do; no Oxi-Clean or baking soda to help. I also chose some bottles that I know the labels are an absolute PITA...
WzaKp9Mh.jpg

The Full Tilt bottles I usually just throw away: not worth the time or the mess. They are just like the Du Claw bottles (which I wish I had saved for this test :( )

Anyways, the idea was to soak overnight in hot water and see how the Labelnator fared... but life stepped in and the bottles soaked for a little over 2 weeks :eek:

Still, even after such an extended soak, the Full Tilt bottles were as stubborn as ever.

After 5 minutes of scrubbing with a brush:
JoWGiK7h.jpg

I ended up throwing this one away. Soaked it in everything imaginable, even Goo Gone wouldn't take that glue off. Even the Labelnator couldn't save it; I imagine it works best at taking the glue off with the label.

Time to put the Labelnator to task. I started out like the box says, simply pushing the blade downwards. I had to stop every now and then to remove the gunk from the blade. Every pass took about 1/2" of label with it, with a bit of glue residue left behind. In all, it took about 30 seconds to achieve these results (same bottle brand as above)
LFHYkGKh.jpg

Deciding to experiment, I tried a short back and forth scraping movement instead of one long push. The results were much better, leaving very little glue residue.
cO7zwxFh.jpg

Here is a side by side of one pass with a brush vs. one pass with the Labelnator
x6w9PHyh.jpg

As you can see, the Labelnator removes the majority of the label. The residue that it left behind came off easily with a few passes of the brush.

j9ne5rvh.jpg

The Hard Cider bottle is one of those thicker labels. It too succumbed to the "short-stroke" technique of the Labelnator.

S0iZfArh.jpg

I tried it next on a bottle that the label usually just peels right off. It took the label off in one fell swoop with less fuss than scratching at it with your fingernails. (the neck label I tried peeling by hand, but went back over it with the Labelnator after I took this pic. Came right off.)
vTSrtFoh.jpg

All in all, this is a product that takes a lot of the work out of stubborn bottles, and makes easy bottles even easier. Highly recommended for anyone who "recycles" their own beer bottles.

The instructions said soak in hot water. But, yours set for 2 weeks. I find if I de-label my bottles while the glue is still tacky from the hot water they remove easier. Haven't used one of these, do you think that would've helped?

The instructions said soak in hot water. But, yours set for 2 weeks. I find if I de-label my bottles while the glue is still tacky from the hot water they remove easier. Haven't used one of these, do you think that would've helped?

Good suggestion. Unfortunately I'm out of the Full Tilt bottles so I can't control that variable...

However, I just tried a little experiment now. Soaked two bottles of Dos Equis, one in hot water and the other in cold for one hour. Each bottle has two labels so I could test between the Labelnator and just peeling the label off.

Hot, With Labelnator:
uIUtUV6.jpg

Hot, Without:
qdmUtJM.jpg

Cold, With Labelnator:
9tgZA5H.jpg

Cold, Without:
DjB8gvy.jpg

Surprisingly, the Labelnator was much better at removing the label and adhesive after soaking in cold water. However, just peeling the label was more effective with the hot water.

I guess what's more surprising is how well the labels came off after just one hour. No more overnight soaks for me.

:mug:

If memory serves, Dos Equis labels are pretty easy going.
I've spent much more time scraping labels than I care to tabulate,
but wonder if a straight razor blade would have enough of the same effect to cover the cost difference.

Thank you for your report, MoistBread.

I used a straight blade on a few bottles and they worked great.
So far just on Yuengling, Angry Orchard, Shock Top, Fat Tire, and Leinenkugel. I have a few Leinenkugel and Shock Top I'm going to do when I get home.

It does look safer than a straight blade and it would be easier than holding a razor with fingers. This guy on YouTube didn't even soak the bottle.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vskudHuBqxw[/ame]

Hard to go wrong for 10 bucks. My little paint scraper was nearly that. Thanks for detailed review.

It's a good concept but cheaply made. My broke after 48 bottles - the blade came out of the plastic body. I used a $3 putty knife and it worked just as well.

Neat idea.

I honestly think that some brands are simply not worth bothering with in any way, shape, or form. There are plenty of brands who's label come off very easily with a two hour long soak in hot water.

Back