The Great HBT Taco Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Salsa tree in the backyard that I get this from. ;)

image.jpg

Hunter won't be joining us. He's on a boat somewhere, probably eating some octogenarian's taco.

Asshoke. I just took a vow to only eat one taco for the rest of my life, and she's four years younger than me.

Speaking of hot sauce... Newly acquired (since we finished our old one). So tasty

Not bad stuff.

My go to is Tapatio or Valintinas. I just hate Tabasco, tastes like vinegar and pepper, gross.

Tapatio and Valentinas are decent tacosauces. I've been into Sontava XXX Habanero lately. But nothing beats a good fresh made salsa as a taco topper.

Tabasco belongs nowhere near a taco. That's like trying to put marinara on ice cream. Your crossing genre's here that shouldn't be crossed.

Tapatio and Louisiana are my usual.

Louisiana's fine. On Cajun food.

Does this count as taco accessories?

Pretty sure there's tacos somewhere in there.

"No, I am not eating ice cream. Yes, that is taco meat & toppings in an ice cream cone. I was out of clean dishes."

Now I totally want to try a Guido burrito.

:D

It makes me sad that no one has posted their taco Tuesday creations here today. I slow cooked some carnitas up today and made fresh corn tortillas and cilantro lime rice

I totally need to make up another batch of carnitas. It's just so dang good! The "problem" is that people around me only think tacos can be soft flour torts with packaged store-bought seasoning mix in ground beef, cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce, & tomato. I even tried grilling chicken thighs with the store-bought seasoning & then shredding it, and it was all but untouched.

I even know how to make Baja-style tacos, but I imagine fish & red cabbage would just throw these people for a loop around here.

Bah. I'll make the carnitas for myself and eat it all myself, again. "Problem" solved!

I totally need to make up another batch of carnitas. It's just so dang good! The "problem" is that people around me only think tacos can be soft flour torts with packaged store-bought seasoning mix in ground beef, cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce, & tomato. I even tried grilling chicken thighs with the store-bought seasoning & then shredding it, and it was all but untouched.

I even know how to make Baja-style tacos, but I imagine fish & red cabbage would just throw these people for a loop around here.

Bah. I'll make the carnitas for myself and eat it all myself, again. "Problem" solved!

Sounds like you need new people to be around haha. If you ever make it out to Mexico North (aka San Diego) I'll show you some killer carnitas

I'll go ahead and be late to the party, and skip over 27 pages...

Best tacos I've ever had at a popup trailer place in Chincoteague VA: http://www.picotaqueria.com/ The cauliflower one is absolutely incredible, the oyster one too.

At home, we go simple and more traditional, chicken breasts in the slow cooker with some salsa verda on low for 8 hours, shred it, then corn tortillas with cilantro, onion, avocado, maybe some pico, and lime juice. Boom.

I eat tacos all the time and I forget about this thread every time. Last week alone I had the biggest brisket taco I've ever seen, a jerk chicken taco that made me moist, a coupe pulled pork and a shrimp.

I should post here more. I eats some tacos.

I love tacos. But I usually prefer the even better street food, the Torta. There's a hipsterish chef-run taco place in Falls Church that also makes good tacos (but not as good as Pico in Chincoteague, but it's 20 minutes away instead of 3.5 hours), but they make a Cubana Torta that will destroy your heart but mother of god it's delicious.

The best Baja-style tacos on the east coast were made at Choncho's Tacos in Williamsburg, BK, NYC. Too bad they closed down. Grilled or fried fish tacos. Had other stuff, but that was their specialty. Awesome.

The best Baja-style tacos on the east coast were made at Choncho's Tacos in Williamsburg, BK, NYC. Too bad they closed down. Grilled or fried fish tacos. Had other stuff, but that was their specialty. Awesome.

Grilled is not Baja. Fried/Beer Battered is Baja, grilled is well... Grilled. An you guys stick to your Buffalo wings back there. We get the tacos :D:ban::mug:

Grilled is not Baja. Fried/Beer Battered is Baja, grilled is well... Grilled. An you guys stick to your Buffalo wings back there. We get the tacos :D:ban::mug:

Nice of you to conveniently ignore the fact that fried was on the list I mentioned. They catered to the healthy set as well as the traditional, but yes, fried is traditional. Same with the soft corn torts, shredded red cabbage, crema, cilantro, and lime wedges.

:)

Also, great coastalism. Like chicken wings are the only thing people here can cook.

FTR - I used to work for Choncho's Tacos. The recipes came from the west coast, including the carnitas, the toro (spicy beef), and the chipotle chicken.

Scoff all you want, these are authentic west-coast recipes from a west-coaster. I love when people think others that aren't from a certain region can't make a different region's recipes. Remind me to tell the story about how this NC white boy made pasole that a Hispanic woman said I couldn't make, them proceeded to eat a bowl every time I made it - that's how much she liked it.

Nice of you to conveniently ignore the fact that fried was on the list I mentioned. They catered to the healthy set as well as the traditional, but yes, fried is traditional. Same with the soft corn torts, shredded red cabbage, crema, cilantro, and lime wedges.

:)

Also, great coastalism. Like chicken wings are the only thing people here can cook.

FTR - I used to work for Choncho's Tacos. The recipes came from the west coast, including the carnitas, the toro (spicy beef), and the chipotle chicken.

Scoff all you want, these are authentic west-coast recipes from a west-coaster. I love when people think others that aren't from a certain region can't make a different region's recipes. Remind me to tell the story about how this NC white boy made pasole that a Hispanic woman said I couldn't make, them proceeded to eat a bowl every time I made it - that's how much she liked it.

I guess the dancing banana emoji at the end wasnt enough to convey the joking tone in my post. I was just pointing out that grilled is NOT considered baja, while fried (yes, I read your original post and saw it there) is. Obviously there are all kinds of good food on the east coast. Im very aware of that. I just figured that in a light hearted thread about TACOS we could joke around a bit. Just having some fun. Dont take it so personally.

:ban:(Another dancing banana to show joking nature of post)

Now back to tacos

C'mon guys. East coast. West coast. Tejas. Baja. Yucatan. Greece. Canadia. It doesn't matter where you're from, unless it's that last one. We are all united by tacos.

We are all One with tacos.

Greek Tacos... Now thats a new one haha

Yeah, they're weird. Shaved meat off a spit, feta, pita instead of a tortilla, cucumber sauce instead of cilantro. But they're so good. Love me some greek tacos.

:mug:

Haha.. Oh ya. a Gyro :eek::taco:

I think Greek taco sounds better than Gyro though

Back