The Great HBT Taco Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just had tacos for dinner, and now I'm hungry all over again because of this thread.

I like boneless beef short ribs, sous vide for 48-72 hours @140 with onions, cider vinegar, cumin seeds and dried guajillos blended to a paste. Remove from pouch, reduce liquid to thicken and sear ribs in a screaming hot cast iron skillet to brown then slice thinly. Serve with refried myocobas in a crispy corn shell then douse with chipotle Tabasco and a dollop of crema Salvadoreña. It's weird how meat can cook for three days and still come out medium-rare.

I'm looking forward to having the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Check out the Chipotle Cholula hot sauce. Tasty.
Thanks for the tip!

Lately We're on a kick with this newly discovered salsa option
chipotle salsa_.jpg

I like boneless beef short ribs, sous vide for 48-72 hours @140 with onions, cider vinegar, cumin seeds and dried guajillos blended to a paste. Remove from pouch, reduce liquid to thicken and sear ribs in a screaming hot cast iron skillet to brown then slice thinly.

i might have to grab some from the grocery store today. sounds like they would be ready for football this Sunday.

I use an Anova SV w/a 12qt cooler. Drilled a hole in the lid to fit it perfectly. Really helps hold higher temps & saves energy on longer cooks.

i might have to grab some from the grocery store today. sounds like they would be ready for football this Sunday.

I use an Anova SV w/a 12qt cooler. Drilled a hole in the lid to fit it perfectly. Really helps hold higher temps & saves energy on longer cooks.
We've had a unit from Sansaire for about 2 years now and rarely does a week go by when it's not in use. Sometimes we use it 2-3 times per week so it lives on the counter when not in use. I have a 7 gallon polypropylene tub I use for large items otherwise I just stick it in an 8qt stock pot and let 'er rip. I was more than halfway through building my electric BIAB rig when I realized it could double as a 10-gallon sous vide.

I've only recently started buying boneless beef short ribs, they are pretty cheap and tough but if you're lucky and get the right ones they have an intense beefy flavor, are pretty lean once trimmed, and become meltingly tender in the sous vide. I used to make a lot of pork shoulder but we kinda got burned out on it, plus its so fatty.

Our latest discovery is picking up a pre-cured corned beef brisket (the flat), freeze it in a block with the spices intact, then vacuum seal it in a pouch. I really like the 72 hours @ 145 texture, sear it off in a skillet, slice thinly, and make pressed grilled reubens with the cooking liquid au jus. It's truly life changing.

Can a rueben be a taco if I add hot sauce???

Nachos are the happy, carefree liberal offspring of tacos. Heirs to the crown, and equally deserving of reverence. Or irreverence. Depending on how you take your taco.

Fire roasted hatch chile for a batch of verde. Slow stewing tonight, will be taco tomorrow.
*reminder, don't touch your testes until you have thoroughly washed your hands. Still a little tingling of the dingaling after an hour. At least it wasn't as much fun as when I did the same with habanero and scotch bonnets this summer.*
20180123_192650.jpg

Fire roasted hatch chile for a batch of verde. Slow stewing tonight, will be taco tomorrow.
*reminder, don't touch your testes until you have thoroughly washed your hands. Still a little tingling of the dingaling after an hour. At least it wasn't as much fun as when I did the same with habanero and scotch bonnets this summer.*View attachment 554908
Yeesh. I feel for you. Definitely have made that mistake before. Diced a massive amount of jalepenos for spicey carrots and took a little wizz. I was told the carrots were nice and spicey. Couldnt tell though. Pretty sure there was more jalepeno on them than on the carrots

We're gonna do smoked pork butt tacos for my son's birthday this weekend. I was just going to wing it until I saw this thread. If you have any suggestions to make them awesome, much appreciated.

Not sure how I missed this thread.... My favorite home made version is with leftover brisket from the smoker. The best tacos I have ever tasted were purchased out of an ice chest in the back of a truck in Odessa Texas. The little lady came buy every day and sold out quick!

Opinion, but pork butt is mostly idiot-proof. Keep your heat mostly between any range of numbers you choose and it will be good.

Whenever possible, I do bone-in. I try and season 1-2 days in advance. I'll dry off with a paper towel then add a salt-heavy dry-rub. My theory is salt draws out the water, but then re-absorbs the seasoning into the meat through osmosis. May be total BS, but works in my head.
Set it on a cooling rack on a cookie-sheet nd let it sit uncovered in the fridge for 8-30hrs.

Smoke with whatever you want, because its that forgiving. Just take it up to 180deg and you will be fine. Sometimes I'll wrap it in banana or palm leaves to keep it moist. If motivaed, I'll cool it enough to handle bare handed. Shred, then pan-fry for carnita-like tacos.

Fish tacos. Sorry no pics, nothing but a plate of bones.

Cabazon, battered and fried in pork-belly fat
Rockfish ceviche
Grilled Smallmouth Bass and Walleye

And a pint of brown ale.

Welcome, fellow taco lovers!

This is the place to discuss all things taco. Express your general adoration of tacos. Share your favorite recipes. Are you eating tacos right now? Post a picture!

Friendly debate is welcomed. Corn vs flour. Soft vs crunchy. Beef vs chicken. Pork maybe? Vegetarian. Even *shudder* Taco Bell.

Explore different taco styles from around the world. Mexican, Greek, Italian, 'Murican. Almost all cultures have their own take on the taco. After all, anything can be a taco if you try hard enough.

Note that I put this in DRMM. Given the usual rabble of hooligans this thread is likely to attract, it will be near impossible to keep 100% on topic. And that's OK!
Tacos by their very nature inspire a sense of fun and frivolity.
soft flour taco , grilled marinated shrimp with thin purple cabbage and an avocado ,cilantro ,onion,w/ lime juice chutney. add Cholula verde or chipotle. sour cream if you like. wash it down with a hoppy citrusy beer.

Back