The first brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshamilton

Reaction score
I made my first batch of homebrew a month ago, bottled it up last week and chilled a bottle last night and finally checked for carbonation tonight. It is from a Midwest kit - Superior Strong Ale. Tastes good for being young, a bit more malty and not quite as hoppy as I expected (though I have been drinking a lot of IPAs lately). It's still a bit cloudy, but I think it will clear up a bit with age.

So of course I made my 2nd brew tonight, the mini-mash version of the AHS anniversary Kolsch (though I changed up the hops a bit) for my first mini-mash it went pretty well.

image-904213121.jpg

Congrats on a successful brew! My first (an IPA) is still in the fermentor. Planning to bottle in two weeks.

How was the carbonation after a week?

My first brew was an extract kit. Depending on the finished product I may end up trying a mini-mash as well.

aplus01 said:
Congrats on a successful brew! My first (an IPA) is still in the fermentor. Planning to bottle in two weeks.

How was the carbonation after a week?

My first brew was an extract kit. Depending on the finished product I may end up trying a mini-mash as well.

Thanks

I was surprised at how good the carbonation was after a week - heard the reassuring "psst" sound when I popped it open. I'm sure it will get better in a week or two. I may just have to open a few this weekend though :)

Hide half those brews for 4-6 months to let them age...you'll be blown away by how much a little time can impact the taste of beer - in a great way!

I second the aging post - let it sit and enjoy the flavor and improvement over several months. You will NOT be disappointed.

Latest posts

Back