The difference of impact of baking soda in the mash vs. in the boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotwatermusic

Reaction score
I've stopped using baking soda as a means of adjusting mash pH due to the millions of threads here and otherwise that have highlighted it's relative ineffectiveness. However I do sprinkle some in my coffee. I don't much like acidic coffee and the soda definitely smooths it out. Which made me wonder if adding baking soda into the boil kettle may more effectively change the perceived acidity in dark beers in the same way. Is there a difference between the way baking soda affects pH in the boil vs. in the mash? Is there a difference in it's perceived effect?

Edit: I sprinkle the soda into the coffee grounds before pouring the hot water over them and this definitely seems to cause some sort of reaction because the coffee in the filter bubbles up noticeably more. I would imagine this is because the grounds are immediately producing more acidity than a mash.

Last edited:
Sorry that the first reply is off topic. As in baking soda, do you mean bicarbonate, as in Natron? I used it yesterday in a black thing I made, so I'm curious if it had no impact.

I'm an idiot. Just realized I was thinking of Calcium Bicarbonate. Sodium bicarb or baking soda is totally good. Oops, sorry.

I've stopped using baking soda as a means of adjusting mash pH due to the millions of threads here and otherwise that have highlighted it's relative ineffectiveness.

Glad to hear you clear this up! Baking soda has proven to be a reliable alkaline buffer in the brewery for those rare cases where a little more alkalinity in desirable in the mash. For a very minor increase in sodium content, it is quite effective at providing alkalinity.

Calcium carbonate is the one to avoid in mashing. However, there are enough stronger acids in BEER to dissolve this material and raise beer pH. There aren't many cases where this is needed, but it can be something that a brewer can consider for overly acidic beer.

PS: The calcium carbonate in beer can't correct for overdoses in citrate, lactate, and other 'flavorful' acid anions. Do try and avoid overdosing your beers with acids by using a proper calculation.

Baking soda has proven to be a reliable alkaline buffer in the brewery
As this is the science forum i'm going to be nit-picky and object to the use of 'buffer' to describe sodium bicarbonate by pointing out that baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is not a buffer at all unless it is mixed with a base such as sodium hydroxide (this is the basis for the pH 10 buffer we use to calibrate our pH meters) or an acid. In the former case it buffers at pH 10.4 and in the latter near 6.4. At mash pH the bicarbonate ion is not an effective buffer. This does not mean it is not an effective source of alkalinity. So it should be called that - but not an alkaline buffer.

.. for those rare cases where a little more alkalinity in desirable in the mash. For a very minor increase in sodium content, it is quite effective at providing alkalinity.
Well it absorbs , at mash pH, almost 1 mEq of protons for each mEq you add (adding 1 mmol of sodium) but that is also true of NaOH, KOH or Ca(OH)2. The latter adds no sodium whatsoever but has its own issues.

Back