Maris Otter types / brands and resulting mash pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracer bullet

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm interested if anyone's seen semi-consistent results among the various Maris Otter brands, and resulting mash pH values? I guess I wonder if some brands tend to run high or low for their DIpH (perhaps pHDI) values? With the end result of one brand vs. another tends to require more or less water adjustment to achieve your target mash pH?

I brewed an Imperial Stout recently with about 13% roasted / dark ingredients, using a base of "Warminster Floor Malted" MO. 7 gallons lowish mineral content tap strike water with 8 grams baking soda and 22lbs grain showed a mash pH on a seemingly calibrated meter of about 5.4 (I measured well mixed, drained wort at room temp). I think 8 grams baking soda for an Imperial will be fine and I think pH 5.4 is fine too. I'd just like to use a little less baking soda next time and am wondering if a particular brand, in anyone's experience, tends to run fairly high or fairly low this way?

Back