The case for protein rests

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewpastor said:
I have taken Fix's advice and use a less modified Moravian malt

What is the maltster for this Malt? Do you have analysis data?

I just want to compare.

Kai

When I was first getting into brewing - "No way am I going beyond extract brewing - too much trouble & expense"

When I went to partial mash - "No way am I going to go beyond this - just a little more time and I am able to make better beer - that's it though."

Now I have stepped up to all grain with infusion mashing. "Now this is really the limit. Not one step further up the ladder of complexity I will go." (now if you believe that, please PM me. I have something else I would like to sell):rockin:

Baron von BeeGee said:
Did BP ever get back on this? I'm curious.

Prowler, your nature sounds like mine!

I'm looking, I'm looking...

Actually, I forgot to look when I was home, I'll try to remember tonight, so maybe the Cimay for lunch isn't such a great idea!

I have the analysis sheets for the Weyerman malts. There are in German though. Is anybody interested in the data here? I'd be willing to make an Excel sheet if I can actually place this somewhere on this server.

Kai

I am always interested in data. That would be great.

By the way, I really appreciate the quality and thoughtfulness of your posts. Thank you. :mug:

To me said:
see[/B] if it really has a benefit. Personally, I believe the tried and true authors/books I've read that incur a step mash/decoction mash is for certain styles or for under-modified malts, which are also rare.

Without sounding obtuse, for most of us it is a waste of time IMHO. Especially for those of us without the ability to recirculate and direct heat.

:rockin:

I agree. I don't uderstand why people go through all that trouble-pull some mash out boil it, put it back, pull some more, boil again........too damn much work! It's nothing but a fancy step-mash anyway. If I find a recipe that calls for a decoction, (I see it in bock recipes all the time) I' ll just do a step or two and call it a victory.
No complaints yet. Cheers all!:mug:

ablrbrau said:
I agree. I don't uderstand why people go through all that trouble-pull some mash out boil it, put it back, pull some more, boil again........too damn much work!

I don't know why others go through all the trouble to build a brew stand if using a table works just as well. ;) . No offense though, I just wanted to mention that there are other ways, than the mash, of complicating things.
Kai :mug:

Great thread! We all brew for two reasons, to drink good beer, and have fun in the process. How far you take you mashing is one of those things that you can over think, but it's all for the fun of it anyways.

I agree with the general consensus that protein rests (et al) aren't something necessary for your typical brew. I only really see it coming into view down the road if I ever do a batch heavy in adjuncts.

Thanks for posting all the good info up though. Even if I never need to use any of it, I must satisfy my inner beer geek :D

Did anybody else receive the latest issue of BYO? The 'Tips from the Pros' section is on step mashes (although there is significantly more information in this thread IMO).

There is also an article on Belgian Golden Ale which includes a mash schedule that starts at room temp and slowly increases in temperature (continuously) through hot water infusion and direct heat until mash out.

Brewpastor said:
I did not see it. Is that mag. worth getting in general?
I like it a lot. It has good articles on brewing science, equipment fabrication, background on different styles of beer, and many recipes (including your dreaded 'c' word). I'm not sure how much it would appeal to a brewer more advanced than myself, but I always read it cover to cover and learn a lot.

At the same time, it's just one source and I don't necessarily agree with getting all of your information from one source...

I am just always looking for stuff to read about beer, all levels, old and new. I just ordered Michael Lewis' (UCDavis) "Brewing" from Amazon. They had one hardback copy left and it was cheaper then the paperbacks! Go figure. I am licking my chops for that to arrive.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Did anybody else receive the latest issue of BYO? The 'Tips from the Pros' section is on step mashes (although there is significantly more information in this thread IMO).

There is also an article on Belgian Golden Ale which includes a mash schedule that starts at room temp and slowly increases in temperature (continuously) through hot water infusion and direct heat until mash out.

What month?

Kaiser said:
I have the analysis sheets for the Weyerman malts. There are in German though. Is anybody interested in the data here? I'd be willing to make an Excel sheet if I can actually place this somewhere on this server.

I exported the table I have in a PDF documeny into a picture. Here is the average analysis data for the 2005 harvest. Especially for the SNR, the range is rather broad. All the interesting parameters are marked with a yellow background:
2249-Weyerman_malts_2005.gif

The picture got scaled down. I'll fix this :)

Does anybody know how to preven the scaling-down of pictures when I upload them?

Kai

Back