The bucket is gonna Blow!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohio brew79

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed a Belgium Quad extract kit from Northern Brewer. I pitched a rehydrated yeast and in took off within 3 hours. This morning I take a look at the bucket and the airlock is bubbling beer out of it and the top of the bucket is bubbled up as if she's gonna blow. I replaced the airlock with a fresh one with star san in it because I had no time to install a blowoff tube. Will continuing to change out airlocks with fresh one be a decent option until the krausen drops? I also dialed back the ferment temp to 63 degrees.

Last edited:
In my experience, the pressure built back up within minutes. Did you just replace the air lock and then leave? If so, I'm afraid of what you might find when you get back.

In my experience, the pressure built back up within minutes. Did you just replace the air lock and then leave? If so, I'm afraid of what you might find when you get back.
I did replace and had to leave unfortunately. On the brightside I did just stop by to check quick at lunch and fortunately it has not exploded at this point.... With any luck I will be able to remedy this after work. How bad is the risk of messing up the brew? I also dropped my ferment temperature a bit down to 63 degrees. Previously I had it at 70 degrees.

70 degrees ambient or 70 degrees wort temperature. 63 is a better temperature for most ale yeasts. 70 degrees ambient could allow the fermentation temperature to go as high as 80 degrees which is too high for most yeasts.

The more you mess with airlocks and such the greater the risk of introducing contaminates.

Start with a blow off tube at the start of every fermentation and eliminate the worry of a messy blow out. You can switch to an airlock later if you want, I never do.

70 degrees ambient or 70 degrees wort temperature. 63 is a better temperature for most ale yeasts. 70 degrees ambient could allow the fermentation temperature to go as high as 80 degrees which is too high for most yeasts.

The more you mess with airlocks and such the greater the risk of introducing contaminates.

Start with a blow off tube at the start of every fermentation and eliminate the worry of a messy blow out. You can switch to an airlock later if you want, I never do.
70 degree wort temp. The ambient is 61

Latest posts

Back