The Best Craft Brewery in Each State?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While Victory (PA) is a fine brewery, I'm finding that Weyerbacher is pushing them aside from what I've tasted. Their Sunday Morning Stout is outstanding!

I'm a fan of their Merry Monk and am attempting a clone this weekend.

Can't find much in WV, probably less than 10 breweries, and only a handful of those distribute. I do like Bridge Brew Works, their Imperial IPA and Mama Rye stand out for me.

In Texas, while Jester King certainly makes some amazing beers, in my opinion their extremely limited production and distribution prevents them from being named the best. Part of being the best brewery is the ability to provide product to customers. I don't believe I have ever seen a Jester King beer on tap in a craft beer establishment in Houston.

My vote goes to Lone Pint. Their lineup is tremendous, especially if you're a hop head. Jabberwocky and Yellow Rose are the first and second best individual Texas beers, IMO. On the other hand, I live close to them, so they may have the same problem in the rest of the state that Jester King has in Houston. If that is the case, then my next choice would be Karbach.

I completely agree with you about Jester King, I've never heard anyone rave about them only driven by them, I have not even seen them around taps in Austin either, aren't they less the 3 year old also?
While I love Lone Pint and Karbach as they are both my definite go to's, I have to say Saint Arnold's because they helped pave the way for craft brewery's in Texas. They still put out excellent products (bishops barrel, reserve). Also I believe they helped other brewery's start their production in house.

My choice wouldn't have been Jester King, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad choice. They have a lot of really solid beers, and are a refreshing change of pace. Most Texas breweries tend to brew the same old "traditional" styles as one another, whereas most of JK's lineup is fairly unique. As far as Texas breweries that non-Texans are always trying to get their hands on, JK is at or near the top of the list.

Not sure which brewery I'd say is best. Real Ale has a TON of different, very solid beers on the shelf, though at the same time I don't see any individual one as being "best beer" material. Karbach, Southern Star, St Arnold, Cedar Creek, and Deep Ellum all offer some great beers.

My choice wouldn't have been Jester King, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad choice. They have a lot of really solid beers, and are a refreshing change of pace. Most Texas breweries tend to brew the same old "traditional" styles as one another, whereas most of JK's lineup is fairly unique. As far as Texas breweries that non-Texans are always trying to get their hands on, JK is at or near the top of the list.

Not sure which brewery I'd say is best. Real Ale has a TON of different, very solid beers on the shelf, though at the same time I don't see any individual one as being "best beer" material. Karbach, Southern Star, St Arnold, Cedar Creek, and Deep Ellum all offer some great beers.

Agree. Jester King is definitely not a bad choice. It's a really good choice. Just not mine, probably more out of jealousy because I rarely have the opportunity to drink any of their beers!

Washington's Fremont Brewery? Give me a break. It's a hipster pub that makes decent but overpriced gimmicky beer designed to appeal to the urban Seattlite twenty-something.

I'd probably rank Iron Horse, No-Li, The Steam Plant, Fish Brewing, and Hale's ahead of Fremont

I disagree with California and Nevada. No I don't think that Russian River is THE best brewery in California and I don't think that Tenya Creek is the best in Nevada (that's Nevada not NeVAHduh). Without even clicking the link I expected Russian River to be the representative brewery of California. Simply because people obsess over Pliny and guess what beer is pictured for Russian River. A brewery shouldn't be considered the best because their beer is so desired but they continually refuse to produce a supply that matches demand.
It isnt just pliney they make the best sours ive ever had as well every beer ive had there is brewed to profection. Vinne hasnt exspanded because he dosnt want to lose the quality. Yes younger and elder are great but there are many beers coming out of rrbc that are flat out amazing.

Wyoming...Melvin Brewing. Followed by Blacktooth

Colorado...Crooked Stave, O'dell, Equinox, Comrade, River North, Blackshirt, Strange, Mockery, Ratio, Trinity, New Belgium....Fck there are too many!!!

In Maryland I'm going to have to agree with DuClaws

When drinking a Sweet Baby Jesus it literally makes you say "Sweet Baby Jesus that's good!"

Victory is definitely good, but I'd rank PA right now (from what I've had)

1. Yards Brewing Company
2. Victory Brewing Company/Weyerbacher (tie)
4. Neshaminy Creek Brewing Company

NCBC is very small, but I'm liking what they are doing. Was at their tasting room one night for a charity event and was able to sample almost every single brew they make and was not disappointed. Very local oriented as well with the names.

In Oregon, I think Hopworks Urban is superior. For Washington I like Hales.

In PA, Id say Yards, then tired hands.
New York, Southern tier
IL, Half Acre
NH, smutty nose.
Oregon, Ive been to portland and bend, and the beer in bend that much better. You could pick Boneyard, Crux, 10 barrel, good life, depending on your taste, not just IPA's too

The beer in PA is very far behind what is going on in bend oregon and washington state.

Back