The Best Craft Brewery in Each State?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a native Wisconsinite, I must admit that there is a bunch of good craft beer scattered throughout the state. I must take issue, however, with calling Leinenkugel's a craft beer. Since Leinie's is owned by Miller, I don't think they fit into the "craft" category. On the other hand, New Glarus certainly does have a corner on the Wisconsin craft beer market...and I'm only seventeen miles from the state line!!!

glenn514:mug:

I had a pretty good local IPA here in Jackson Wyoming today, Pako's IPA from Snake River Brewing. Tomorrow we are headed for Yellowstone and then on to South Dakota. What are some brews worth checking out in South Dakota?

Other Half for New York? Really, really wrong.

I have had a few clunkers from them and now simply avoid their beers when I see them on tap at my local Manhattan and Brooklyn taprooms. This is a total Williamsburg hipster selection that appears to ignore the dominating and consistent quality of Southern Tier. Southern Tier, obvious pick for New York.
I would put Ommegang a close second to Southern Tier but both are way above Other Half imo.

Being from WI, I knew I didn't even have to look at the list. I can't recall ever having a brew from New Glarus that wasnt amazing. There are a lot of other great breweries around the state (Stillmank up in GB is my current go to) but NG is most definitely in control of WI.

It says 3 Floyds for Indiana, I have to disagree.
Judging from the liquor store many also do to. Gumball head and zombie dust regular gather dust and end up on discount. I believe its become more hype for the company than anything.
Sunking, Upland, Chapman's are far better products.

If you are finding Zombie Dust sitting on shelves, you need to quit reading this right now, buy the ZD, and ship it to people who can't get it. Because people are paying good money for that stuff.

I've never seen it on a shelf before.

While Victory (PA) is a fine brewery, I'm finding that Weyerbacher is pushing them aside from what I've tasted. Their Sunday Morning Stout is outstanding!

Was nice to see Creature Comforts for GA, especially since they are only a year old.

Lists like this are a dime a dozen, yes, but I still think they're fun and certainly generate enough attention. I like reading through both the responses mostly for the "hey these guys are better". I put them on my "to drink if I find them" list :)

Anyway, I'll agree with their choice for my home state. Haven't had a bad Wiseacre beer yet (only had about a case to be fair) and I'm really loving that Gemütlichkeit. I like to drink local when I can, but most of the stuff I can find in Knoxville from TN breweries ranges from bland to infected.

As a native son of the piedmont area, and being only a few hours from Asheville, I also heartily support the Wicked Weed choice. Dark Angel is on my short list of best beers I've ever drank.

In New Jersey I can toss a rock and hit at least five breweries without aiming. Each makes a real good beer, one even brewed a batch for the Pope, so what's the deciding factor, cost, service, atmosphere?

I had another local, this time we're in west Yellowstone Montana. I had a pretty good Big Sky IPA at a nice little pub called the "Slippery Otter".

While we have a LOT of great breweries here in California, I will have to agree with their choice.

What was it? Link won't work for me. Had to be RRB though I'd guess. I'd go with Sonoma Springs but they're tiny as hell.

Half-Acre for Illinois is interesting, with no mention of Spiteful Brewing at all. I went to the Chicago Craft beer fest this summer, and Half-Acre, Revolution, and Spiteful all turned out. I had Half-Acre and Spiteful there for the first time (I regularly purchase Revolution). As much as I love Revolution, Spiteful blew everyone out of the water. Not only was their beer "Selfies Suck" the best beer at the event, but the guys working the stand were awesome. I spent at least a half hour (maybe an hour) talking to them, and they rocked.

If you're reading this, and you worked the Spiteful stand, yeah. I'm that guy.

I agree. Spiteful is my favorite Chicago brewery and has been for a couple years now. Selfies are For Wieners is an awesome DIPA. I almost always buy their cans when I see them cuz you know their always fresh. That's the beauty of a brewery of their size (7 bbl brewhouse I think?), they produce just enough to keep a select few stores well stocked and their beers are almost never sitting on the shelf for over 2-3 months. Diggable, Alley Time, Working for the Weekend, so many awesome beers.

But hey, at least this list has Half Acre and not Goose Island.

NY is a weird one. Its hard to even find Other Half in half of NY and the stuff I have had from them doesn't hold up against others. But. Opinions. Ya know.

While I like Hoppin Frog, Jackie O's is my choice for OH. And, IMO, its not even close.

100% agreed... Jackie O's is the Russian River of the Midwest.. so lucky to have them within a few hours and most of the beer reachs my area. Still have to travel to get some Black Maple this October during the release. Best beer I've ever experienced.

How in the world is Boulevard not the pick for Missouri?

I'll admit....i was suprised by this one as well.
But it was up against a white whale so the `want what you can't get` factor probably came into the judgement.
Boulevards "Harvest dance wheat wine" is something i rarely pass up if i see it anywhere and i generally don't favor beers lighter than coffee.

As for my home state of Arkansas I can't say for sure, Ozark Beer company has limited tap hours and i've not yet to have sampled their brews. But the craft brew movement is picking up here however most of the breweries are really,really small. "Bike rack brewery" gave me a tour of their fermentation room and i thought "Hey, these are `Bubbas Barrels`" which i think is one of the HBT sponsors.(he definately posts here). Bentonville Brewery has only 2200 ft2 for both their brewery and their tap room. They also have started hosting the local homebrew club on the 1rst Tuesday of each month (for any homebrewers in the area). Core brewing down in Springdale has a big following locally so i'm a bit suprised they didn't take this one. Apple Blossom brewery down in Feyetteville makes some solid beers (they also host a homebrew club)

Being someone who splits their time between ME and NH, I'd have to say their picks for both states are on point. They're both very young breweries, but they're dedicated to making excellent beer, and it shows. They're up against A LOT of stiff competition, as well. Throw a rock in almost any town in either state and you'll hit 3 breweries, all of them cranking out great beer. Make it a major city and it'll be 12 breweries.

I'm surprised that no one from Maryland has piped up to disagree about Du-Claw. Sure they make good beer, but I don't think they are in the same league as Evolution, Brewer's Art and Burley Oak. I think a lot of my bartenders, home brew buddies and craft beer friends would also agree.

Two great up and coming breweries in Maryland are Union Craft, RAR and Peabody Heights. I just don't think they quite have the portfolio, yet to compete with the the ones I listed above.

For my state, Wicked Weed deserves the title. Arguably, sure, but IMHO that works for me.
77.gif
23.gif
24.gif

That's my post you are hiding your spammy link in, spammer. Reported.

Really not surprised that Wicked Weed took it for NC, with all due respect to the other 100 great breweries sprouting up here. I'm craving some beef tartare and Coolcumber right now!

I agree. Spiteful is my favorite Chicago brewery and has been for a couple years now. Selfies are For Wieners is an awesome DIPA. I almost always buy their cans when I see them cuz you know their always fresh. That's the beauty of a brewery of their size (7 bbl brewhouse I think?), they produce just enough to keep a select few stores well stocked and their beers are almost never sitting on the shelf for over 2-3 months. Diggable, Alley Time, Working for the Weekend, so many awesome beers.

But hey, at least this list has Half Acre and not Goose Island.

Oh man, you're right. The beer I had was Selfies are for Wieners. I totally got the name wrong in here. The guys from spiteful and I made a pretty epic list of things that suck (epic), and I think I rolled that into the name. It was an awesome beer, and I think I had too much of it.

Nah. I had just the right amount.

The obvious choice for best brewery is Revolution. They have excellent beer and a relatively wide distribution. But if you're going to pick one of the smaller guys, my vote is for Spiteful, and they at least deserve a mention.

I live in cali id say russian river is my fav. Saying that thrre is a lot of good beer here ive also been to stone and balist point but rrbc is the best

In Texas, while Jester King certainly makes some amazing beers, in my opinion their extremely limited production and distribution prevents them from being named the best. Part of being the best brewery is the ability to provide product to customers. I don't believe I have ever seen a Jester King beer on tap in a craft beer establishment in Houston.

My vote goes to Lone Pint. Their lineup is tremendous, especially if you're a hop head. Jabberwocky and Yellow Rose are the first and second best individual Texas beers, IMO. On the other hand, I live close to them, so they may have the same problem in the rest of the state that Jester King has in Houston. If that is the case, then my next choice would be Karbach.

I'm more partial to Bells than Founders for Michigan but I definitely see why Founders would get picked. Both breweries are excellent and at least they gave Bells the honorable mention so I'm happy. I took Oberon and All Day IPA on my last camping trip. Excellent beers.

100% agreed... Jackie O's is the Russian River of the Midwest.. so lucky to have them within a few hours and most of the beer reachs my area. Still have to travel to get some Black Maple this October during the release. Best beer I've ever experienced.

I have one in the fridge. Almost opened it about 50x. Athens is about 3 hrs from me, so hopefully they distribute a bit like they did last year. I was lucky to get the one.

In Texas, while Jester King certainly makes some amazing beers, in my opinion their extremely limited production and distribution prevents them from being named the best. Part of being the best brewery is the ability to provide product to customers. I don't believe I have ever seen a Jester King beer on tap in a craft beer establishment in Houston.

My vote goes to Lone Pint. Their lineup is tremendous, especially if you're a hop head. Jabberwocky and Yellow Rose are the first and second best individual Texas beers, IMO. On the other hand, I live close to them, so they may have the same problem in the rest of the state that Jester King has in Houston. If that is the case, then my next choice would be Karbach.

I completely agree with you about Jester King, I've never heard anyone rave about them only driven by them, I have not even seen them around taps in Austin either, aren't they less the 3 year old also?
While I love Lone Pint and Karbach as they are both my definite go to's, I have to say Saint Arnold's because they helped pave the way for craft brewery's in Texas. They still put out excellent products (bishops barrel, reserve). Also I believe they helped other brewery's start their production in house.

I'm from Oregon.. I would honestly put best brewery on the east side. Barley Browns makes some awesome beer but the little farmhouse Dragons Gate takes my heart every time. But some runners up would also be Commons Brewery, De Garde or Hair of the Dog.

I disagree with California and Nevada. No I don't think that Russian River is THE best brewery in California and I don't think that Tenya Creek is the best in Nevada (that's Nevada not NeVAHduh). Without even clicking the link I expected Russian River to be the representative brewery of California. Simply because people obsess over Pliny and guess what beer is pictured for Russian River. A brewery shouldn't be considered the best because their beer is so desired but they continually refuse to produce a supply that matches demand.

I have this same disagreement with Vermont but I've never been there so I don't know who is trying to compete against Hill Farmstead but I DO enjoy their stuff...when I can get it...it should be called "East Coast Pliny" to simplify things.

Tenya Creek...well I should have known Nevada only has one city and it's Las Vegas.

Utah and Uinta I disagree. How can you NOT pick a brewer in the SLC airport that names a beer poking fun at the mormon culture AND it tastes good? Wasatch beats Uinta in my book but Uinta has better distribution....wait...a brewery that distributes outside state lines gets Best State Brewery? WHAAAA?!?!! It cannot be. So many breweries are so exclusive you must know the secret handshake to acquire their beers but yet Utah gets a mass distributed beer? interesting.

Oregeon...well you had to pick one. There ARE a lot. You might as well pick the city with the biggest number of breweries.

North Dakota. Fargo...really...REALLY? Fargo? You didn't think it would bumbleBEE too Hollywood to pick a brewery with the name Fargo in it? 10 Breweries in the state and 90% of them suck? We saw the movie. We didn't go there to discuss it drunk.

Montana. Big Sky. To me this is like picking Coors for Colorado. Seriously.

I'm done. I'm sure if you go to each State you'll find the "I must have it because the internet says so" beers aren't worth the hype and you'll find the "wow they were right" beers. Good job to those who have worked hard to make their beers the unicorns of success. I wish you many years of success and hope to one day taste the blood of a spider able to make a web of golden silk. To the others, well I'll just pass.

Back