Kansas City Breweries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4_Sons_Brewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all -

I’m traveling from Michigan to Texas and planning a stop in KC for the night. Not sure I’ll have time to visit any breweries, but should have time to stop in to a grocery or convenience store to grab some local brews to take home.

Anyone have suggestions for someplace that will have a decent selection and a list of local brews to try?

I’m not to choosy on beer, like pretty much anything and always like to try something local…

One of my sons was in Kansas City just last week. He visited Bouvelard Brewing and Brewery Emperial. Brewery Emperial had an imperial stout called Ursa Major that they made in collaboration with River Bluff Brewing.

KC Bier Company consistently produces fantastic german-style beers. Boulevard is the biggest/classic craft brewer with a neat beer hall and separate brewery. Brewery Emperial has cool DIY vibe and good beer. There are several other good local breweries that are worth checking out if you are in their area (Stockyards, Cinderblock, City Barrel, Alma Mader, and several others).

I would definitely make a detour to hit the Boulevard brewery...

1689907663286.jpeg

Cheers!

If just grabbing beers at a store, local liquor store chain Gomers or most Hy-Vee grocery stores will have good local beer selections.

If you like German style beer, grab KC Bier (they have 12 pack mixed samplers). If you like Belgian, Boulevard usually trends that way (and also have 12 pack mixed samplers). Some other notable beers are Cinderblock Wit, City Barrel Rad AF (IPA), Brewery Emperial Biscuit (ESB), Stockyard Vienna Lager, and Martin City Hardway (or Easyway) IPA. Crane and BKS also make really good beer.

Actually, if just passing through and getting beer at a store, my recommended playbook would be go to Hy-Vee, get KC Bier 12 pack sampler ($16), a 4-pack Blvd Smoke Stack Series or Limited Release (just assess what looks best to you, $12-14), and then do a mix and match 6-pack (which most Hy-Vees have for $10) and just try to grab one of each of the other above beers. That may be a bit much, but you will have covered KC beer landscape pretty well.

Cheers & safe travels.

Last edited:
Torn Label and Vine St to add to your list. The Tank 7 posted previously is a tasty saison. KC also has a nice dunkle that is very good.

Alma Mader, Sandhills, Transport, KC Bier, Boulevard are our mainstays, and where I take people when visiting.

Bacchus and Barleycorn is awesome, was just there picking up a Meanbrews Marzen that everyone loved last Octoberfest, and misc supplies. Pathlight Brewing is just to South of them as well, if you have a chance to try two places. Transport has a British connection, so may have some styles you don't see often, including cask ale.

It did. Stopped for the night last Friday.

I didn’t make it to any breweries but picked up several KC beers from Boulevard, KC Bier sampler, and a few other locals from the Hy-vee. Thanks to all for the recommendations and it looks like other folks picked up a few tips on the local beer scene as well.

It did. Stopped for the night last Friday.

I didn’t make it to any breweries but picked up several KC beers from Boulevard, KC Bier sampler, and a few other locals from the Hy-vee. Thanks to all for the recommendations and it looks like other folks picked up a few tips on the local beer scene as well.

Any favorites from what you tried?

Back