The Beer and Vinyl Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E36A46A1-5FBE-4E1C-BA00-F18ED24EF64D.jpeg

Just in case Hell does actually freeze over and the world comes to an end once this cold sets in, I'm going to spend tonight with some good beer and some of my favorite albums from the past year. Here's to temperatures so cold I don't want to leave my blanket fort.

onpyG0f.jpg

Album: Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want
Beer: Trillium & J Wakefield Vanilla Truffle

D8B0BEF7-7FBE-4930-9121-ECEEBF1E8DE9.jpeg

Really love this album. I saw Mike Ness perform this album and “Under the Influence” at the stone pony in Asbury Park NJ. Went to the Friday show. During the Saturday show this guy named Bruce Springsteen was hanging out in the crowd. After a few songs, he walked up on stage, grabbed a guitar and played a few songs with him. Man, I wish I brought tickets for the Saturday show.

View attachment 4350

Really love this album. I saw Mike Ness perform this album and “Under the Influence” at the stone pony in Asbury Park NJ. Went to the Friday show. During the Saturday show this guy named Bruce Springsteen was hanging out in the crowd. After a few songs, he walked up on stage, grabbed a guitar and played a few songs with him. Man, I wish I brought tickets for the Saturday show.

I’ll yell you what...Mike Ness helped me realize a long ass time ago how little of a difference there really is between punk rock, rock, country, Appalachian hymn, European folk, bluegrass, American folk, blues, etc.. Not saying he was any sort of trailblazer in the genre-bending game, but he made it clear to me just how fine of a line there really is as far as song structure. It’s all just ancient melody.

I’ll yell you what...Mike Ness helped me realize a long ass time ago how little of a difference there really is between punk rock, rock, country, Appalachian hymn, European folk, bluegrass, American folk, blues, etc.. Not saying he was any sort of trailblazer in the genre-bending game, but he made it clear to me just how fine of a line there really is as far as song structure. It’s all just ancient melody.

I hear what you are saying. He helped open my eyes to start listening to more country/bluegrass/folk music. Him and Johnny Cash

Long overdue purchase of this thing.

The C.I.A. - S/T
Local beer from Lenny Boy - Breakfast in Heaven (4-pack 12 oz BA coffee stout for 11.69+...**** yeah)
960C512D-0482-4857-9B83-98397F9C348F.jpeg

Well ....
Sigh....

All of Ty’s projects can’t be winners I guess. It’s not bad, but the standard that Ty has set, that’s saying something. This should have been better than this. Ty has many (plural) better punk”ish” albums than this one. I will be completely candid - if there were live drums, it could have convinced me more...but a drum machine can never be more than a stand-in to allow focus on everything else. And everything else on this album could have used some live ****ing drums. Just didn’t work. ****. I forgive you Ty.

Long overdue purchase of this thing.

The C.I.A. - S/T
Local beer from Lenny Boy - Breakfast in Heaven (4-pack 12 oz BA coffee stout for 11.69+...**** yeah)
View attachment 4356

Well ....
Sigh....

All of Ty’s projects can’t be winners I guess. It’s not bad, but the standard that Ty has set, that’s saying something. This should have been better than this. Ty has many (plural) better punk”ish” albums than this one. I will be completely candid - if there were live drums, it could have convinced me more...but a drum machine can never be more than a stand-in to allow focus on everything else. And everything else on this album could have used some live ****ing drums. Just didn’t work. ****. I forgive you Ty.

I tried to warn you....

I feel bad if this was your T.S. starting point.

GOGGS is the immediate upgrade to this version of Ty. But his best album had to have been the collab with Presley - short but sweet. Near perfection. Freedoms goblin in second place...fudge sandwich, etc....

I don't look at it as a "bad" album per se, more of a rough unfinished album that does show promise that this project could be something I really like. There were a couple of tracks that I quite enjoyed and with some tweaks and a bit of refinement I could see this being more my kind of thing than a lot of the other stuff I've heard from him.

I feel bad if this was your T.S. starting point.

GOGGS is the immediate upgrade to this version of Ty. But his best album* had to have been the collab with Presley - short but sweet. Near perfection. Freedoms goblin in second place...fudge sandwich, etc....

* of 2018...

Latest posts

Back